Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-23-2017, 03:37 AM   #1
tobias.wantzen
tobias.wantzen began at the beginning.

Device: none
iBooks TOC: Buggy for Deeper Structures?

Hi all,

I made an EPUB with 3 nested levels in the TOC. In ADE4 everything is fine, but in iBooks, it's a mess! With the 3rd level starting, iBooks messes up with all deeper levels and after displaying level 3, it incorrectly shows level 2 as level 1 etc. (See screenshots attached.)

After hours of checking absolutely correct toc.xhtml code, I started to investigate this issue deeped by using the linear-algebra.epub of IDPF’s EPUB3 samples (https://github.com/IDPF/epub3-sample...linear-algebra). Loading this to iBooks brings the exact same errors!

So: Is this an iBooks bug? I couldn't find any relevant information about that in the web. Can anybody confirm? Or give me a clue how to solve this?

Thanks
Tobias
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TOC-display-in-ibooks.png
Views:	420
Size:	425.8 KB
ID:	160177   Click image for larger version

Name:	TOC-display-in-ADE4-Win.png
Views:	393
Size:	341.5 KB
ID:	160178  
Attached Files
File Type: epub linear-algebra.epub (1.03 MB, 283 views)
tobias.wantzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:11 PM   #2
agstanton
agstanton began at the beginning.

Hi Tobias,

Did you ever figure out a work-around for this? I'm having the same issue, but can't figure out a solution, short of condensing my TOC into two levels.

Thank you!
Audrey
agstanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2018, 07:56 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The poster has not been back to these forums since his post.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:11 AM   #4
tobias.wantzen
tobias.wantzen began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agstanton View Post
Did you ever figure out a work-around for this? I'm having the same issue, but can't figure out a solution, short of condensing my TOC into two levels.
No, I’m sorry. Up to now I haven’t figured out, what’s the problem respectively what’s the workaround.

It seems, that we’re the only two with this problem ...

Thanks
Tobias
tobias.wantzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 04:53 PM   #5
WarwickBailey
WarwickBailey began at the beginning.

EPUB with 3 nested levels in the TOC.

I am having exactly the same issue developing with epub3 for iBooks. A table of contents with a nesting level of more than 2 reproduces the issue.

Would be great to know if there is a workaround or if the issue can be raised with Apple.

Comments? Would be great to hear as this thread/issue remain unresplved.
WarwickBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2022, 05:03 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarwickBailey View Post
I am having exactly the same issue developing with epub3 for iBooks. A table of contents with a nesting level of more than 2 reproduces the issue.

Would be great to know if there is a workaround or if the issue can be raised with Apple.

Comments? Would be great to hear as this thread/issue remain unresplved.
Can you update your OS so you are no longer using iBooks and can give Books (now and stupid name for iBooks) a try?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 05:14 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
For compatibility a max of 2 levels is best.
It's not just iBooks that doesn't cope.

Though 3 ought to be a working minimum.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 11:14 AM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
For compatibility a max of 2 levels is best.
It's not just iBooks that doesn't cope.

Though 3 ought to be a working minimum.
Yeah,hell, we've NEVER gotten that working in Books, f/k/a iBooks.

MOST IDIOTIC renaming, ever. I mean, it's egregiously hard to search for anything on that bloody app now. So help me, if the genius that came up with that for Apple worked for me, I'd literally defenestrate his ass.

(ETA: Okay, right, before one of you pedants says something, obviously, NOT his ass...)

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 08-27-2022 at 11:15 AM. Reason: RE: Well, ass/head, whatever.
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 11:22 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yeah,hell, we've NEVER gotten that working in Books, f/k/a iBooks.

MOST IDIOTIC renaming, ever. I mean, it's egregiously hard to search for anything on that bloody app now. So help me, if the genius that came up with that for Apple worked for me, I'd literally defenestrate his ass.

(ETA: Okay, right, before one of you pedants says something, obviously, NOT his ass...)

Hitch
But you do have to blame whoever was in charge back then for agreeing to this useless renaming. So really, it's the fault of the boss.

If someone came to you with such a bad idea and you agreed, then you would be at fault.
Old 08-27-2022, 11:31 AM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But you do have to blame whoever was in charge back then for agreeing to this useless renaming. So really, it's the fault of the boss.

If someone came to you with such a bad idea and you agreed, then you would be at fault.
Oh, no argument. But I will confess--being Da Boss means that on occasions, you do agree to stupid sh*t. You're distracted, or you're overwhelmed, or some crap like that and John/Jane Doe says "hey, boss, let's do this" or "I'm working on A instead of B" and your head does the Bobblehead Dance and the next thing you know, you're looking for someone to kill for such a damned dumb decision. It happens. I wish I could say it doesn't, that I'm some mythical perfect boss, but...it happens.

Doesn't excuse the fact that those morons, with god-only-knows-how-many-layers-of-management, actually implemented this. At least at my place, there's only one management moron that does stupid crap--the one to whom you are speaking--and most of my crew know that they can (and they DO!!!) tell me not to do stupid s**t when needed.

Hitch
Old 08-27-2022, 11:36 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Oh, no argument. But I will confess--being Da Boss means that on occasions, you do agree to stupid sh*t. You're distracted, or you're overwhelmed, or some crap like that and John/Jane Doe says "hey, boss, let's do this" or "I'm working on A instead of B" and your head does the Bobblehead Dance and the next thing you know, you're looking for someone to kill for such a damned dumb decision. It happens. I wish I could say it doesn't, that I'm some mythical perfect boss, but...it happens.

Doesn't excuse the fact that those morons, with god-only-knows-how-many-layers-of-management, actually implemented this. At least at my place, there's only one management moron that does stupid crap--the one to whom you are speaking--and most of my crew know that they can (and they DO!!!) tell me not to do stupid s**t when needed.

Hitch
But at least if you eventually noticed that you agreed to some stupid sh*t that you'd be able to undo it. The idiots at Apple have not yet realized how stupid the rename was and have not undone it.

I agree that it's nearly impossible to search for anything to do with Books since it's too Fing generic a word.
Old 08-27-2022, 11:37 AM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
But at least if you eventually noticed that you agreed to some stupid sh*t that you'd be able to undo it. The idiots at Apple have not yet realized how stupid the rename was and have not undone it.
Well, yes, Jon, LOL, there is that.

It's hard to believe that they haven't already noticed what a bloody mess searching for ANYTHING on it is...every time I need to search for something, anything, around The App Formerly Known as iBooks, it's a damned nightmare.

H
Old 08-27-2022, 11:41 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Well, yes, Jon, LOL, there is that.

It's hard to believe that they haven't already noticed what a bloody mess searching for ANYTHING on it is...every time I need to search for something, anything, around The App Formerly Known as iBooks, it's a damned nightmare.

H
I've tried to search for something to do with Books and it was a major fail. Another Apple fail.
Old 08-27-2022, 12:06 PM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I've tried to search for something to do with Books and it was a major fail. Another Apple fail.
Yes, and what slays me is, of all the companies, in all the world, which is the MOST SEO-knowledgeable? How can they be that flipping dumb?

H
Old 08-27-2022, 02:48 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes, and what slays me is, of all the companies, in all the world, which is the MOST SEO-knowledgeable? How can they be that flipping dumb?

H
Maybe it was decided during a drunken party?

Tags
ade, ibooks, toc