Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-10-2017, 01:32 PM   #466
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Hmmm.

I just re-registered my NG3 and the User Guide has disappeared!

Do you suppose they're proof-reading and editing it now?

Better late than never!
B & N is deleting content from customer devices?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:46 PM   #467
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
B & N is deleting content from customer devices?
I think the hope is they are actively revising the User Guide due to possible changes in the partitions.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:39 PM   #468
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I think the hope is they are actively revising the User Guide due to possible changes in the partitions.
And they can't wait until the revision is available because?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:49 PM   #469
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
And they can't wait until the revision is available because?
Does anyone actually read user guides any more?

I don't understand why they would pull the user guide while editing the new one either, but I'm guessing that's probably what they're doing.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:59 PM   #470
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Does anyone actually read user guides any more?

I don't understand why they would pull the user guide while editing the new one either, but I'm guessing that's probably what they're doing.
Yes and hardware manuals if available.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:02 PM   #471
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
I used to, when I was young, with any new tool or electronic device, I read the manual from front to back before using it. Now I just experiment with the thing until I figure it out.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:09 AM   #472
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post

bernie
Heretic, hit random buttons until something works like everyone else

I stopped adding help files to programs at work 6 years ago and no one has noticed yet.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:16 AM   #473
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Hadn't noticed there was a user guide on mine until now. I stopped reading them as they've become less and less informative. Now I figure it out on my own or Google it.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:47 AM   #474
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I used to, when I was young, with any new tool or electronic device, I read the manual from front to back before using it. Now I just experiment with the thing until I figure it out.
In the dim past, manuals used to have useful information. The majority I've seen in the last decade have been dumbed down to the point of uselessness. The last laptop I purchased came with a foldout unpacking sheet and a 20 page manual. Sadly of the 20 pages, 18 were various warnings and regulatory statements in multiple languages. Which USB ports are what? Hit the web for that. JFGI seems to be the popular manual these days.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:27 PM   #475
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
I have a question: what good is 6 gb of book storage if you have to set up all of the thousands of books you have into shelves? I guess I'm really spoiled with my Glo HD and via Calibre all of my books are put nicely into collections with virtually no work at all.
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:45 PM   #476
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
I have a question: what good is 6 gb of book storage if you have to set up all of the thousands of books you have into shelves? I guess I'm really spoiled with my Glo HD and via Calibre all of my books are put nicely into collections with virtually no work at all.
But then the Nook was never good at that in the first place. Nobody was expecting B&N to revamp their whole OS.

The 6GB of non-partitioned storage was advertised as a feature even when the device went on sale and since the previous model did away with partitioning there was no reason to expect its return.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:13 PM   #477
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
If you want to use shelves/collections the Nook wouldn't be great to set up I agree. I don't use collections on my Kobo though as I don't feel the need, I just search for what I want by title, author or series name. Don't know how good the Nook is for that...
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:11 AM   #478
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
...I don't use collections on my Kobo though as I don't feel the need, I just search for what I want by title, author or series name. Don't know how good the Nook is for that...
That's how I use both my Kobo and how I used my Nook. Search works fine as expected, though I don't remember if you could search by series name. I suspect you couldn't. I don't read series much, but I don't remember the Nook having much support for series.

Of course, that was years ago. It may have changed.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:52 PM   #479
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
But then the Nook was never good at that in the first place. Nobody was expecting B&N to revamp their whole OS.

The 6GB of non-partitioned storage was advertised as a feature even when the device went on sale and since the previous model did away with partitioning there was no reason to expect its return.
b&n could have done away with all this back and forth with partitioning if they would just increase the total storage to 16GB. with this much, who cares if b&n takes up 5.5GB for themselves. and it's not like 16GB is going to cost them much more than 8GB. in 2014, i read that it costs $0.50 per GB. given the way storage cost keeps coming down, an added 8GB would hardly be noticeable in terms of added cost.

and there's always the option to add a slot for an external micro sd card, which would make sense since they took waterproofing away with this model. but they didn't take this route either.

i think they just created a lot more work for themselves by doing what they did.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #480
mbird
mbird began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Internal Browser Trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindog89 View Post
So I went again to my local store (2nd one in NYC that has them on display).
And now I'm not sure.
While the size of the bezel bothered me less this time, I found a couple of other issues.
1) The performance seems laggy. Not so much in a book (and the hard buttons are nice, nicer than on the NST, as I recall) but switching between apps, going into settings, etc, really lags.
2) The storage! Check out this screenshot! 8gb of storage and only .95GB available for sideloading! That's crazy. My NG+ has 4GB of storage and I have access to 2.81GB. The real test would be to hook up to a computer, but I can't do that in store. If that is not addressed, or hackable, this is a no go for me, as I sideload all my content.

--I confirmed that you can turn on debugger mode to sideload APKs.
--The trick to access the internal browser is still locked down. Now when you get to the browser, they hide the address bar. Not sure why this bugs them so much.
--Somebody asked about the dictionary -- yes the definitions are still grey. Never bothered me, but I can see where it is a problem. But is it my imaginiation or did the software update that came today (and is already on the NG3) change the dictionary function? Now when you long press a word, the definition comes up immediately? I thought you then had to click the dictionary icon.
Don't know if anyone has figured this out or not, and rather hesitant to mention it as it appears B&N finds out about these things and then disables them. Case in point the browser bar is now gone. But you can still get the browser to go to Google and from there, well you can do almost anything. If anyone is curious about this feel free to PM me.
mbird is offline   Reply With Quote