Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-07-2020, 10:23 AM   #16
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Oases 2 and 3 and PW4 are able to hibernate, which is almost the same a power off.
If this is actually hibernation, it *is* powering off, just with an unusual poweron process (restoring the RAM image from nonvolatile storage, i.e. flash). (The other common approach is commonly called "suspending": powering off the CPU, but leaving the RAM powered. Are you sure this isn't what the Oasis etc are doing? it's much faster to restore from, still saves a lot of power, and doesn't burn through flash lifetime the way writing most of the RAM contents to it on every sleep would.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 12:19 PM   #17
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
If this is actually hibernation, it *is* powering off, just with an unusual poweron process (restoring the RAM image from nonvolatile storage, i.e. flash). (The other common approach is commonly called "suspending": powering off the CPU, but leaving the RAM powered. Are you sure this isn't what the Oasis etc are doing? it's much faster to restore from, still saves a lot of power, and doesn't burn through flash lifetime the way writing most of the RAM contents to it on every sleep would.)
Well, hibernation is also different from power off in that RAM contents are saved prior to the power off.

I think, but am not certain, that "suspending" has been what kindles have been doing since day 1, but with occasional wakeups to communicate with the mothership if wireless is on.

I think the Oasis 2 wakeup from deep sleep is too slow to be a resume from suspend and don't see how a deeper suspend would represent a significant power saving. I live in an area where it is forbidden to leave home unless necessary and in the early months of the shutdown I unconsciously went from splitting reading 50%/50% between my Voyage and Oasis 2 to reading 100% on the Voyage. After a few weeks, it dawned on me to check the charge level on the Oasis every month or so. The decrease was tiny. I've since started reading on the Oasis during daytime and have forgotten the rate of loss. But it was small enough that it seems more likely to be a power off than a suspend.

For the past few years, every time I raise a flash wearout concern, it gets pooh-poohed.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert