Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-31-2020, 02:55 PM   #61
melksnor
Goodest E-Reader
melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 500 / Kindle 5th / Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
You must have posted it on reddit. Look here: https://amp.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...ith_font_ramp/

Ah yes, that's me. lol. Now two of my online identities are linked, oh no!
melksnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 04:29 PM   #62
BiliBug
Connoisseur
BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage (Formerly KKB, PW1, PW3, KV, OA3)
I'm seeing much more ghosting in this firmware. Anyone else? It goes away after a screen refresh, but I'm sure it wasn't as obvious in 5.13.1. KOA3, my brightness is seldom over 9 or 10.

-BB
BiliBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2020, 06:11 PM   #63
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I'm old enough to remember when you could set the margin by editing a simple prefs file with a text editor. That was too good to last.
Barty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:18 PM   #64
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
That was Kindle 3 aka Kindle Keyboard era, so not that loooong ago :P
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:04 PM   #65
nimbus.se
nimbus.se began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Has anyone noticed any changes in the search function with this update?

Nothing new here on my PW3
nimbus.se is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2020, 12:03 AM   #66
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbus.se View Post

Nothing new here on my PW3
To me the search never seemed different. Maybe it's a behind-the-scenes kind of thing we don't really notice
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:08 PM   #67
Shark69
Zealot
Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Nothing different in my opinion...
I think this is a very weird update
Shark69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:59 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark69 View Post
Nothing different in my opinion...
I think this is a very weird update
There could be bug fixes and other stuff behind there scenes. Just because you cannot see it doesn't mean it's not there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:06 AM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I decided to add hinting to ChareInk and after doing so and loading the hinted version to my PW3, in KF8, the font looks better at font size 4. So I would suggest that if you are using a side loaded font, check for hinting and if there is none, add hinting. Seem the Kindle font handling system prefers fonts with hints which is why Bookerly is buggered because hinting was removed.

Anyway, if anyone uses ChareInk with a Kindle, I'll be posting hinted versions after I add hinting to the weighted version.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:45 AM   #70
raghiid
Connoisseur
raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I decided to add hinting to ChareInk and after doing so and loading the hinted version to my PW3, in KF8, the font looks better at font size 4. So I would suggest that if you are using a side loaded font, check for hinting and if there is none, add hinting. Seem the Kindle font handling system prefers fonts with hints which is why Bookerly is buggered because hinting was removed.

Anyway, if anyone uses ChareInk with a Kindle, I'll be posting hinted versions after I add hinting to the weighted version.
After tinkering a lot with fonts, I found fonts with hints look better in KFX and fonts stripped of hints look better in KF8.
raghiid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:19 AM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghiid View Post
After tinkering a lot with fonts, I found fonts with hints look better in KFX and fonts stripped of hints look better in KF8.
That's not what I've noticed. I noticed that hinted fonts look better in both KF8 & KFX. I've not tried Mobi.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:10 AM   #72
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's not what I've noticed. I noticed that hinted fonts look better in both KF8 & KFX. I've not tried Mobi.
Can't use custom fonts with mobi, so there's no point in trying it.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:48 AM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Can't use custom fonts with mobi, so there's no point in trying it.
But I could try Bookerly which I know is not hinted and if is shows the issues I've seen posted on MR, then I'll know that Mobi also needs hinted fonts.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:30 PM   #74
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbus.se View Post
Not really but then again I could be doing it wrong. I just installed 5.13.2 on one of my backup PW4s so essentially no reading history to speak of.

Hmm, I do wonder if MOBI vs AZW3 matters. Most of my stuff is in MOBI (personal) so covers always work even without Calibre.

In any case, I'll be downgrading back to older firmware as LibrarianSync appears to be broken on 5.12 and up.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:22 PM   #75
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
In any case, I'll be downgrading back to older firmware as LibrarianSync appears to be broken on 5.12 and up.
How?

Or is your Kindle Jailbroken?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
font_ramp