Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-22-2021, 10:28 AM   #76
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It is all speculation until it is resolved scientifically.

Most of the speculation I have seen on this matter has been nonsense.
I fear we'll have to speculate for a long time, then. Science doesn't seem too keen on solving this issue for us.

In the meantime I'll go by what my eyes tell me: using ambient lighting is best, strong frontlights or backlights are tiring - but if utilized should be in a warm hue and a low setting.

The worst light I have yet experienced is the frontlight on my Hisense A5 Pro. On night mode (the lowest setting) it could light up an underground dwarven kingdom. As soon as I enable the light I feel a pang of pain behind my eyes and sudden nausea; they both fade after the initial discomfort, but still. I think it's the hue of the light and screen that does it (and the fact that it just doesn't go low enough).

Onyx Nova 3 with warm light is rather pleasant, on the other hand.

I have heard that the pocketbook should have even better lighting (though most people talk about the evenness of it rather than the actual quality).
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:55 AM   #77
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Does this device really have a BACKlight as mentioned several times in the article on the Aroged website mentioned in the first post?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:08 AM   #78
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Does this device really have a BACKlight as mentioned several times in the article on the Aroged website mentioned in the first post?
Several possibilities. Eink has performed a miracle and made a transparent eInk screen, Aroged does not know the difference between backlit and frontlit or the translation was in error such as when Girodatchik (which I think should be Giro datchik ( Гиро датчик )) was not translated to gyro sensor.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:13 AM   #79
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Several possibilities. ...Aroged does not know the difference between backlit and frontlit...
That's my suspicion, but technological miracles are always a possibility, I suppose.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:24 PM   #80
b0rsuk
meles meles
b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Wow, that is a Kernel from 2015. Why don't they use a more recent one?
I guess they value stability and bugfixes above everything else. It's been tested and fixed to death. It doesn't need new device drivers, virtualization features or filesystems.

I'm a new eReader user, but I feel more comfortable reading without frontlight. Then I have to use stronger light from above, and the overall contrast between the text and area around it is better (lower). I don't think it's the backlight that tires your eyes (although it may have more blue light). It's the effect of the glowing screen surrounded by shadows.

Naturally, even the new screen InkPad 3 has is a bit gray, but it doesn't bother me.
b0rsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:02 PM   #81
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Wow, that is a Kernel from 2015. Why don't they use a more recent one?
I can't think of any reason to use a newer Linux kernel if the older one does the job. My HD3 has the 3.10.65 kernel instead of the slightly older one, but it probably doesn't make a lot of difference for an eReader. I think the newer Linux kernels are more important for computers with "cutting edge" components.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:18 AM   #82
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
II think the newer Linux kernels are more important for computers with "cutting edge" components.
Yes.
Drivers, Security, multiple users at same time(server) etc. An ereader is a dedicated appliance.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:11 AM   #83
Kory
Kory began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad Color
I received my PB Inkpad Color yesterday. I must say, though, it was disheartening to read this thread since so many people seem to be pooping all over it! :-) Still, for me it was a pretty big upgrade over my old Paperwhite (G1).

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=337581

Last edited by Kory; 02-23-2021 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Added link to my post about this to avoid double-posting.
Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:58 AM   #84
totasenior
totasenior began at the beginning.

Device: PB Inkpad 3 pro; PB Touch HD 3; Pocketbook Color
Formatting SD Card

See my post in:
totasenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:38 AM   #85
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kory View Post
I must say, though, it was disheartening to read this thread since so many people seem to be pooping all over it!
People have been waiting for color for years. Now it's happening, they are, as you say, pooping on it. Sure, it has some limitations, but this an early iteration of the tech. What do they expect? Perfection from the start? I for one am excited by the development, and my next e-reader will probably be color.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:15 PM   #86
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
People have been waiting for color for years. Now it's happening, they are, as you say, pooping on it. Sure, it has some limitations, but this an early iteration of the tech. What do they expect? Perfection from the start? I for one am excited by the development, and my next e-reader will probably be color.
The problem for many people is that they have gotten used to millions of colours and vibrant colours.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:59 PM   #87
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kory View Post
I received my PB Inkpad Color yesterday. I must say, though, it was disheartening to read this thread since so many people seem to be pooping all over it! :-) Still, for me it was a pretty big upgrade over my old Paperwhite (G1).

I think the reception in this thread has been warmer than for previous color e-ink readers.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:25 PM   #88
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The problem for many people is that they have gotten used to millions of colours and vibrant colours.
I expect your average Web site to disparagingly compare eink to lcd. But not mobileread readers. Perhaps it was just JSWolf being a Debbie downer.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:18 AM   #89
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Maybe some new electronic ink will do better, but all of these colour eink screens are simply incremental variations of passive coloured dye filtering on the current eink technology which reached a plateau in visual quality years ago, with only variations in dpi and over all size and plastic vs glass substrates.

So it's a dead-end niche. Sadly Mirasol and other alternate static colour technologies were killed off by a mix of cost, royalties and over hyped performance.

It might get slightly better, but it's close to the limits of physics for static filters on a greyscale eink screen, not technology.

I've seen a lot of colour display technologies come and go since 1971 when I started seriously studying them. Some get unexpectedly abandoned, like in the 1990s they finally solved how to do the 1970s idea of a beam-indexed single gun CRT instead of shadowmask or trinatron three gun CRTs. The TFT driven LCD panel was the final doom of the CRT. OLED doesn't have the lifetime or cheapness at scale of LCD, as it doesn't use real LEDs, they are electroluminescent dots with phosphor, so wear for two reasons. Real LED panels are ether wall sized or horribly expensive (Sony calls them Crystal LED).

None of the candidates for even mono bistable displays have proven to compete well with eink types. Inherently colour needs to either be R G B bistable opaque cells or possibly Cyan, Yellow and Magenta bistable opaque when colour and transparent when not, with either a mirror or partial mirror and backlight. There is a parallax (viewing angle) issue with layered cells unless they are very thin and the two internal barriers are thin.

Colour film originally used a random R G B dyed starch particle filter (think of tiny coloured balls, mixed and then attached to glass plate with emulsion) on the monochrome film that like Triton and later colour on eink greatly reduced the light. Using Cyan, Yellow and Magenta layers was a massive breakthrough on sensitivity and resolution for colour fil.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:18 AM   #90
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Colour film originally used a random R G B dyed starch particle filter (think of tiny coloured balls, mixed and then attached to glass plate with emulsion) on the monochrome film that like Triton and later colour on eink greatly reduced the light. Using Cyan, Yellow and Magenta layers was a massive breakthrough on sensitivity and resolution for colour fil.
A few decades back, I remember seeing some Autochrome samples at the George Eastman Museum. Very much of a dancing bear moment.