Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
DagsJT
DagsJT began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Tagging Error

Since downloading 0.7.48 this morning, all new books added into my library are automatically given the tags "Fiction, humourous, world war, 1939-1945", anyone else got a similar problem? Makes it a bit awkward searching for books if every book is going to be a "humorous" book about a war

And speaking of tags, is there a way to overwrite tags if it already has tags but I choose to do a new metadata search and replace the current tags?

Cheers!
DagsJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Nope, does not happen here.
Not that it would matter much if it did (even though of course it would be a bug, for sure!), cause I always set my own tags. So yes, you can overwrite tags, at least manually. I don't know if that's what you're asking though. I get the feeling you want it done automatically, and that I have no clue about, being pretty much a beginner.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagsJT View Post
Since downloading 0.7.48 this morning, all new books added into my library are automatically given the tags "Fiction, humourous, world war, 1939-1945", anyone else got a similar problem? Makes it a bit awkward searching for books if every book is going to be a "humorous" book about a war

And speaking of tags, is there a way to overwrite tags if it already has tags but I choose to do a new metadata search and replace the current tags?

Cheers!
Check the IN the Preference: Adding Books
'Tags to add when importing'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:56 AM   #4
DagsJT

Field is empty so that can't be the problem.

Maybe easier to delete all of my settings and start again?

Edit: Just tried enabling and disabling various metadata download plug-in's and the same tags still keep being inserted. Getting quite annoying now

Edit: Deleted all of the files and folders in the Roaming folder, effectively taking out all of my settings. Added a book and the tags are fine now. Doesn't explain why it was happening but at least my tags are better now

Last edited by DagsJT; 03-06-2011 at 04:38 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Field is empty so that can't be the problem.

Maybe easier to delete all of my settings and start again?

Edit: Just tried enabling and disabling various metadata download plug-in's and the same tags still keep being inserted. Getting quite annoying now

Edit: Deleted all of the files and folders in the Roaming folder, effectively taking out all of my settings. Added a book and the tags are fine now. Doesn't explain why it was happening but at least my tags are better now
by any chance were you using: 'add from ISBN'?

That had a separate tag (Was my request: . I was bar code scanning my DT library and adding lots empty books that got a different tag than the default.)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
DagsJT

Hmm not sure what that option is but I guess not, just the "Ctrl & D" approach for getting metadata. I've only been using Calibre for a couple of weeks so I hadn't messed around with any settings besides adding the Goodreads plugins.

Edit: Right, the problem is with the Goodreads plugin. It's just tagged all of the 33 books I asked with "Women sleuths" after some of them being Agatha Christie books.

Last edited by DagsJT; 03-06-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Edit: Right, the problem is with the Goodreads plugin. It's just tagged all of the 33 books I asked with "Women sleuths" after some of them being Agatha Christie books.
Ok, we are way different to where you started with your first post, where you said you had tags from adding books. Now you say you are getting tags from Ctrl+D, which is expected.

However I am darn sure it is not the Goodreads metadata download plugin adding those particular tags. It might be one of the others such as Google books, but it will not be the Goodreads one. The Goodreads plugin filters tags to a very discrete list and any outside of that are ignored. None of the tags you mentioned above will come from the Goodreads metadata download plugin. Try disabling the Goodreads metadata plugin, delete the tags and hit Ctrl+D again.

Perhaps you had better describe exactly what your actions are and what your plugins you have enabled related to that action. Perhaps you setup a sync action from a Goodreads shelf to add those tags (though you would have had to create it), but that is not going to happen when you hit Ctrl+D.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:39 PM   #8
DagsJT

Ctrl+D was just downloading all metadata for me, including tags. But I noticed a couple of days ago that it started to copy some tags across all books, like it took one book and copied those tags into the rest of the books I downloaded metadata onto from there on in.

So this morning I deleted all of my Calibre data and started fresh, and it was great. Ctrl+D brought down info and tags with no problems.

Just a bit earlier, I realised that it wasn't filling in my series info, so I grabbed the Goodreads metadata plugin. Tagged some books with that enabled and every book from where it had tagged an Agatha Christie novel was then tagged as being about women sleuths. Went into the preferences and deleted the plugin, deleted all tags from the books that had just been incorrectly tagged and restarted Calibre. And since the restart? All tags are fine again.

From that, it can only be the plugin that was causing the problem. I didn't have the problem with a clean install, I installed the plugin and the problem appeared again, I delete the plugin and it went away.

The only plugins I have installed are the defaults, and only the Goodreads metadata one (not the covers or shelf).

Hope that helps, Kiwidude.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry but I remain skeptical of your conclusion. Have you hit Ctrl+D on those books since you deleted the tags and restarted? The only way my plugin could add those tags is if you modified it.

I think what is more likely is that you had not hit Ctrl+D before installing the Goodreads plugin, you saw the tags appear, and you conclude it was the Goodreads plugin that added them. You have other metadata download plugins installed with Calibre that run when you hit Ctrl+D that are capable of bringing in tags, and I am positive it was one of those that created them.

You say you have removed the Goodreads plugin, and deleted the tags. Hit ctrl+D again on that book. The tags you saw will appear again provided you have not been fiddling with the other plugin configurations to either disable or skip downloading tags.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
DagsJT

Well I had Simon Pegg's autobiography in the batch of files that were tagged. With the Goodreads plugin, it was also tagged as being about women sleuths (clearly wrong). Deleted the tags, tried again on that book, same thing. Deleted the tags, deleted the plugin, restart Calibre, Ctrl+D on the Pegg book and the women sleuth tag doesn't appear.

If you give me a step-by-step on what exactly you want me to do, I'll see if I can help out a bit more.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #11
kiwidude

There must be something else going on. When you did Ctrl+D on the book, did it have an ISBN already, or did it just have a title/author? If so, what were the values?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #12
DagsJT

And again, just installed the plugin. Did a batch Ctrl+D on 11 books I've just added and it's telling me that Starship Troopers is juvenile fiction about kidnapping.

I'm not sure what's going on but either way, when the Goodreads plugin is installed, I'm getting odd results with the tags. Whether or not you believe that's not the case, I can't help that. But I'm seeing with my own eyes that with the plugin not there, tags are fine and when it's installed, tags go wrong. It's odd but the method of deduction says that it can only be as a result of the plugin, take the plugin away and the error goes away too.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:08 PM   #13
kiwidude

As per my post above, publish some actual title/author or isbn combinations from values you had in Calibre at the time you hit Ctrl+D.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
And again, just installed the plugin. Did a batch Ctrl+D on 11 books I've just added and it's telling me that Starship Troopers is juvenile fiction about kidnapping.
There is a conclusive way to test if it is the Goodreads plugin or if the Goodreeads plugin just changes the speed at which another plugin supplies the wrong tags.

Go to metadata download plugins and customize each plugin, unchecking download tags on all plugins except the Goodreads plugin. Restart calibre then see what kind of tags you get. If the tags are the same then kiwidude can troubleshoot it, if the problem does not persist then Kovid can look at the overall timing to see where they are coming from.

Either way help us all out and supply the developers the title/author and isbn of the troubled books.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:48 AM   #15
DagsJT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
As per my post above, publish some actual title/author or isbn combinations from values you had in Calibre at the time you hit Ctrl+D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
There is a conclusive way to test if it is the Goodreads plugin or if the Goodreeads plugin just changes the speed at which another plugin supplies the wrong tags.

Go to metadata download plugins and customize each plugin, unchecking download tags on all plugins except the Goodreads plugin. Restart calibre then see what kind of tags you get. If the tags are the same then kiwidude can troubleshoot it, if the problem does not persist then Kovid can look at the overall timing to see where they are coming from.

Either way help us all out and supply the developers the title/author and isbn of the troubled books.
Cheers, will give this a go tonight and see what else I can find out for you and post the results.

I'll probably just clear the settings again and setup a new library with 10 books. I'm sure I can get it to happen again and hopefully we can figure out where the problem is because if it's not the Goodreads plugin, then as stated it must be an issue with something else in Calibre.

When you say "troubled books", it doesn't seem to be down to a specific book. From what I imagine might be happening, if I do a batch of books, then somehow it'll "stick" the tags of maybe the 3rd book of the batch and apply those tags to any books it tags afterwards.

So say I tag 10 autobiographies. The third book might be about Mike Tyson, but the rest of the books are about film stars yet the film books are still tagged as "boxer" because it remembers the tags from a certain book.

Like I say, I'm a newbie to Calibre and I know I'm not explaining it well as someone with more experience but I'll give it another go tonight and see if I can help narrow the bug down.

Last edited by DagsJT; 03-07-2011 at 04:52 AM.