Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-02-2022, 02:04 PM   #1
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Glowlight 3 USB port repair

My wife's Glowlight 3 has a failing MicroUSB port. Everything works fine on the unit, but to charge or sync, I really need to wiggle the cable in a certain direction.

I'd like to try to fix the thing, because it cold something as simple as a cracked solder joint.

Can anyone recommend a place that can repair the port. While they have it open, it might be a good idea to swap out the battery also.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 05:23 PM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Mmm, it can be tricky to find a connector with the same footprint.
Yeah, the geometry is not that tight and you can make any connector fit somehow.
I don't have any photos from the bottom side offhand.
Here is a photo from the top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glow3b.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	193186  
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2022, 06:17 AM   #3
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
I wonder whether I could just open it up and re-solder the existing micro-usb connector to get it to charge. It will charge, but it's rather flaky with how it charges.

My wife is using my Kindle, but she LOVES the Oberon Design leather case I bought for her nook. I think she loves the case more than ereader itself. She also likes the page turn buttons.

Watched a video on how to change the battery. Looks pretty straightforward to open. Doesn't use any glue or tape like the Kindle does.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 08:41 AM   #4
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
It might just need a reflow of the solder, but I'm thinking more that the connector is worn out. Beefy cables are nice, but they tend to put a load on connectors. The Glow '21 has a much less secure physical fit than the Onyx Poke3.

Yeah, Glow3 is easy, just work your way around it.
Glow2, you'd better have replacement tape and you have to open/shut it carefully to not disconnect the touch sensor. Swing the right side out only about 30 degrees before disconnecting. The flex circuit was designed too short.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote