Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-25-2020, 11:05 PM   #1
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Deregister a Nook Simple Touch Reader

I need some direction.

I have a Nook Simple Touch Reader BNRV300 that I haven't used since 2017. I'd like to deregister it, wipe it clean, and give it to my daughter.

I charged it up and it powered up just fine. The time clock was wrong, but I expected that. Since we changed our router and have a new wifi password it couldn't get the correct time. Once I entered the new password and it connected, the time updated properly.

Everything seems okay, and the Nook reports that it is connected to the network, but when I try to deregister it I get an error message that it needs to connect to the internet but there is no connection. I've tried turning off the wifi and turning it back on again, but I just get the same error message.

My next step is to check with B&N support, but they were never very helpful in the past so I thought I'd post here.

Does anyone know of any steps I'm missing?
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 11:45 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I'm guessing your ttl (or whatever it is called) security protocol is not up to date, so B&N refuses the connection. You'll have to manually update your firmware. The download and update instructions should be here...

https://help.barnesandnoble.com/app/...ok%3F#ManualDL
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2020, 11:52 PM   #3
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I need some direction.

I have a Nook Simple Touch Reader BNRV300 that I haven't used since 2017. I'd like to deregister it, wipe it clean, and give it to my daughter.

I charged it up and it powered up just fine. The time clock was wrong, but I expected that. Since we changed our router and have a new wifi password it couldn't get the correct time. Once I entered the new password and it connected, the time updated properly.

Everything seems okay, and the Nook reports that it is connected to the network, but when I try to deregister it I get an error message that it needs to connect to the internet but there is no connection. I've tried turning off the wifi and turning it back on again, but I just get the same error message.

My next step is to check with B&N support, but they were never very helpful in the past so I thought I'd post here.

Does anyone know of any steps I'm missing?
You need to download the lateness update then manually install it on your nook in order to connect.
https://help.barnesandnoble.com/app/...tail/a_id/4212

link to the download at B&N
https://su.barnesandnoble.com/nook/n...1_2_update.zip
instruction for installing:
https://help.barnesandnoble.com/app/...etail/a_id/215

Now for a drink the person who did the B&N website musk be a drunk.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:21 AM   #4
cromag
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, guys! I'll try this tomorrow.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:59 AM   #5
cromag

Thanks again! That did it. It would be nice if they had a more accurate error message.
Advert
Old 04-27-2020, 02:57 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Thanks again! That did it. It would be nice if they had a more accurate error message.
They did send out notices and, had your Nook been in use and occasionally hooked up to B&N at the time of the update, it probably would have been automatic (and basically unnoticed). Kindle and Kobo had the same issues when updating their security protocol — and folks still have to do manual updates to get past it. Basically what they're saying is that, without the security update, your Nook (or other's Kindle or Kobo) can compromise B&N's (or Amazon's or Kobo's) servers, so they reject the connection until you have the newer protocol.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 03:08 AM   #7
willaful
Connoisseur
willaful began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra 2
I was having the same problem, so thanks for this thread!
willaful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 05:21 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Basically what they're saying is that, without the security update, your Nook (or other's Kindle or Kobo) can compromise B&N's (or Amazon's or Kobo's) servers, so they reject the connection until you have the newer protocol.
To disagree there, it is not the server being compromised but the communication link. SSL, TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 are no longer considered secure protocols so any information sent between your device and the vendor's servers is not protected. It's almost trivial to decrypt the packets and have someone's credentials, payment information, etc. revealed.

If you are using payment cards, you also run into the PCI DSS (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard) which mandated disabling SSL and TLS 1.0 as of June 30, 2018 with TLS 1.1 being on the chopping block.

For what it's worth, the IETF has deprecated SSL, TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote