Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-18-2022, 10:52 AM   #16
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How about his Odd Thomas books?
Someday... I do have the first one.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 09:03 PM   #17
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How about his Odd Thomas books?
I tried the first one and decided it wasn't for me.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 03:18 PM   #18
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
This is all the fault of the FREE/BARGAIN - Horror/Supernatural thread, I swear...

In that thread, Phantoms by Dean R. Koontz (it was a book from back when he had a middle initial) went on sale. That started a mini-discussion.

I mentioned liking Whispers, Phantoms, and Watchers the most. At the time, I didn't remember reading Lightning, but after reading about it, I'm sure I did read it, and it was kind of bonkers! And how come I forgot to mention Midnight?!

So now I am nostalgic and wondering which Dean Koontz books I should read that I missed. I was reading him the the 1990s, but I didn't end up reading some of his most popular books (like Intensity).

And which of the books I loved I should re-read first?!

Note: More recently, I read Your Heart Belongs to Me and liked parts of it (the subtle creepiness) -- but was put off by how it was handled. (I reviewed it for AAR.) I haven't gotten into the Odd Thomas series.

And I am nostalgic for some of his even earlier stuff: The Face of Fear, The Vision, Night Chills, and The Key to Midnight. I also liked The Voice of the Night (but forgot to mention it). I recently learned several of them are available on Kindle Unlimited!

The most obscure Koontz book I might own is a battered copy of How to Write Best-Selling Fiction. It's a rare one, but my copy is probably worth a lot less because I wrote notes about my own story in it.
My favorite from him will always be Servants of Twilight most likely. Loved that book and have read more than once. I am iffy on Koontz in general. I find that most of his thriller-suspense type stuff I dislike. When he veered more into horror it was usually better. I have a lot of his still left to read when I get a chance.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:22 PM   #19
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
My favorite from him will always be Servants of Twilight most likely. Loved that book and have read more than once. I am iffy on Koontz in general. I find that most of his thriller-suspense type stuff I dislike. When he veered more into horror it was usually better. I have a lot of his still left to read when I get a chance.
Have you seen the movie adaptation of Servants of Twilight from 1991?

It has a 5.2 stars average on IMDB. IIRC the production qualities were disappointing. (It might have been a made for TV movie.) But Grace Zabriskie was great.

It's free with ads on the Roku Channel.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 02:05 AM   #20
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Have you seen the movie adaptation of Servants of Twilight from 1991?

It has a 5.2 stars average on IMDB. IIRC the production qualities were disappointing. (It might have been a made for TV movie.) But Grace Zabriskie was great.

It's free with ads on the Roku Channel.
I did when I was younger a few times. I thought the acting was pretty good. They did change a few things from the book for sure, but it wasn't bad as far as a low-budget adaptation goes.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 10:52 AM   #21
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
This is all the fault of the FREE/BARGAIN - Horror/Supernatural thread, I swear...

In that thread, Phantoms by Dean R. Koontz (it was a book from back when he had a middle initial) went on sale. That started a mini-discussion.

I mentioned liking Whispers, Phantoms, and Watchers the most. At the time, I didn't remember reading Lightning, but after reading about it, I'm sure I did read it, and it was kind of bonkers! And how come I forgot to mention Midnight?!

So now I am nostalgic and wondering which Dean Koontz books I should read that I missed. I was reading him the the 1990s, but I didn't end up reading some of his most popular books (like Intensity).

And which of the books I loved I should re-read first?!

Note: More recently, I read Your Heart Belongs to Me and liked parts of it (the subtle creepiness) -- but was put off by how it was handled. (I reviewed it for AAR.) I haven't gotten into the Odd Thomas series.

And I am nostalgic for some of his even earlier stuff: The Face of Fear, The Vision, Night Chills, and The Key to Midnight. I also liked The Voice of the Night (but forgot to mention it). I recently learned several of them are available on Kindle Unlimited!

The most obscure Koontz book I might own is a battered copy of How to Write Best-Selling Fiction. It's a rare one, but my copy is probably worth a lot less because I wrote notes about my own story in it.

The Taking is super scary. His scariest in my opinion next to demon seed
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Taking

I loved Ashley Bell.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote