Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-03-2021, 08:01 PM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Need a Historical Book recommendation

I'm writing a fantasy book about a world with a technology roughly similar to that of the early Georgian period of England. I need a book that can tell me what life was like for both the wealthy, middle class, and poor

Something like Ian Mortimer's "The Time Traveller's Guide to Elizabethan England" would be great. (But he hasn't written that book yet, or, I can't find any mention of it!)

I can find Romance novels, and books about women's clothing, and architecture, but very little on the everyday life and the political changes going on in this turbulent period.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:59 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
BBC in he UK ran a three part program titles Elizabethans with Andrew Marr. That would give you a good look into what technology was like back then.

It's based on the book Elizabethans by Andrew Marr. You can get the eBook from Amazon or Kobo.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089DXDY2V
https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/eli...-bbc-tv-series
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2021, 01:43 PM   #3
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
I have a tendency to buy non-fiction books which I plan to read, sometime, but for some reason there's always a novel or ten that's more tempting. So I have "Behind Closed Doors - At Home in Georgian England" by Amanda Vickery, but haven't read it (yet). Skimming it, it looks like it covers everyday life for all classes of society.

You might also check out A History of Private Life. I don't have the volume covering this period, but the ones I have contain articles on many different aspects of everyday life.

And one that's really narrow, but interesting and funny: "Shapely Ankle Preferr'd - A History of Lonely Hearts Advertisement" by Francesca Beauman. It describes not only the history of the advertisements, but also some of publishing, economy, matchmaking, humor, and more. The first such advertisement we have a copy of is from 1695:
Quote:
A Gentleman about 30 Years of Age, that says he had a Very Good Estate, would willingly Match himself to some Good Young Gentlewoman that has a Fortune of 3000l. or thereabouts, and he will make Settlement to Content.
hildea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:21 PM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I'm writing a fantasy book about a world with a technology roughly similar to that of the early Georgian period of England. I need a book that can tell me what life was like for both the wealthy, middle class, and poor

Something like Ian Mortimer's "The Time Traveller's Guide to Elizabethan England" would be great. (But he hasn't written that book yet, or, I can't find any mention of it!)

I can find Romance novels, and books about women's clothing, and architecture, but very little on the everyday life and the political changes going on in this turbulent period.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Oh, boy, do I hear you on this! Plenty on the Stuarts and then on George III/Regency, but the first two Georges? Nada.

One book I read that did cover Georges I & II is The Courtiers: Splendor and Intrigue in the Georgian Court at Kensington Palace by Lucy Worsley. She’s a popular historian, witness the tv shows, and some of her books are better than others, but I thought this particular one was quite good about the first half of the 18th century, obviously from a top-down perspective.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:21 AM   #5
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
The British Library has online essays available that might be a good starting point for an overview and suggested titles for more information.

https://www.bl.uk/restoration-18th-c...orgian-society

Quote:
Georgian society

Explore the Georgian period in its social, political and historical contexts, with overviews of popular politics, the rise of consumerism and entertainment.

Last edited by Witty Username; 01-06-2021 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Fix link
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2021, 09:47 AM   #6
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Well, Thank you all!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote