Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-14-2021, 02:48 PM   #856
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
Operative word of a similar quote being "on *some* devices".
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:34 PM   #857
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is not my opinion. It's written by someone who knows a lot more about the working of the hardware/software then we do.
So, you're writing something about you don't know anything, just to spread some fear and panic about something you also don't know anything? Or, in other words, you love so much trolling you can't resist any opportunity for it?
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:37 PM   #858
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_S View Post
So, you're writing something about you don't know anything, just to spread some fear and panic about something you also don't know anything? Or, in other words, you love so much trolling you can't resist any opportunity for it?
I'm posting very valid information that is useful to know before deciding what to do. Personally, I'd go with the NickelMenu/KFMon solution as that doesn't get so deep into the system and it's easy to deal with.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:20 PM   #859
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
KSM has never claimed support for the Libra or the Forma. It'll suffice to say it probably won't work properly on Mark 7 and firmware 4.25 or newer.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:23 PM   #860
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
KSM has never claimed support for the Libra or the Forma. It'll suffice to say it probably won't work properly on Mark 7 and firmware 4.25 or newer.
Do you think there is/are any other Kobo(s) KSM should not be used with?
Old 01-14-2021, 06:10 PM   #861
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
It's all mentioned in the OP already. I'm not sure what there is to add to that?

It'll work well enough on the Clara HD, Forma and
Libra H2O with a modified version, give or take what @NiLuJe wrote. I assume the Aura Edition 2v2 doesn't work but I don't recall seeing reports either way, and afaik the H2O 2v2 doesn't work for sure.

Unless you meant something like, older than the original Kobo Touch?
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:58 PM   #862
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
It's all mentioned in the OP already. I'm not sure what there is to add to that?

It'll work well enough on the Clara HD, Forma and
Libra H2O with a modified version, give or take what @NiLuJe wrote. I assume the Aura Edition 2v2 doesn't work but I don't recall seeing reports either way, and afaik the H2O 2v2 doesn't work for sure.

Unless you meant something like, older than the original Kobo Touch?
Do you know for sure which models it would not be better for Nickel to run before KOReader? If this is an unknown, then why use KSM to kill Nickel before it's had a chance to initialize the hardware?
Old 01-15-2021, 04:20 PM   #863
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm posting very valid information that is useful to know before deciding what to do.
Of course this is not true in the slightest, which just proves that you're here only to troll this subject.

The simple facts are these:

a) KSM works just fine with older devices and older firmwares and for some people (myself included) it is true blessing to have and use it. And it works without problems, any problems in these situations for us who use it (and I personally love it).

Here is also important to point out that we know what we want and why.

b) If anyone new comes to this subject, before he would be able to use KSM he would need to install it first!!!

And yes, install instructions are in the very first post of this thread. You obviously constantly ignores what is written in the very first post of this thread.

So, to conclude, you're certainly not posting "very valid information", you're just trolling this subject. Not sure why, but it is very obvious.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:26 PM   #864
Mel-kior
Mel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipse

Device: none
Oops, I just saw that I put the wrong firmware numbers in the files I posted.
I renamed and repost them so people don’t get confused !
Attached Files
File Type: zip KBStartMenu_09_darkmode_fw4.25_Fix.zip (3.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: zip KBStartMenu_09_update02_fw4.25_Fix.zip (3.4 KB, 43 views)
Mel-kior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 04:06 AM   #865
bettonnotteb
bettonnotteb began at the beginning.

Device: kobo libra h2o
Hi Mel-kior. I'm a bit confused by your changes. Where did you post the original files with the wrong firmware numbers? I wasn't about the find them in this thread. Your version of KSM does not work on my kobo libra h2o with 4.25. When I boot the KSM menu shows, but the screen doesn't react to any keypresses at all. Nickel starts after the timeout expires.

Last edited by bettonnotteb; 01-27-2021 at 04:10 AM.
bettonnotteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:21 AM   #866
bettonnotteb

Aha! My libra h2o identifies as storm. The case statement based on $PRODUCT does not yet have the coordinates for storm.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:23 AM   #867
Mel-kior
Mel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipseMel-kior can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettonnotteb View Post
Hi Mel-kior. I'm a bit confused by your changes. Where did you post the original files with the wrong firmware numbers? I wasn't about the find them in this thread. Your version of KSM does not work on my kobo libra h2o with 4.25. When I boot the KSM menu shows, but the screen doesn't react to any keypresses at all. Nickel starts after the timeout expires.
I deleted the old files but the last one are exactly the same just renamed.

About your devise you should have read the first post of the thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Elim Garak prepared a version of KSM 9 for Forma. You can get it from here. Note: Do not install any of the currently available KSM updates (and also not KBStartMenu_09_restore.zip) over this package, since they are not designed for this version.
The 4.25 fix is based on KSM09_update002.zip or KBStartMenu_09_nightmode.zip so it’s not compatible with forma.

The fix is simple, I will try to look at the the forma version of KSM to see if something can be done.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:56 AM   #868
Mel-kior

rcS from KBStartMenu_09_forma_test.zip and KBStartMenu_09_nightmode.zip are the same so it’s should work on forma to.

I did another zip for forma but I don’t have one to test it.

As put in the readme this can brick your device! Use it at your own risk.
(especially the forma that got soldered memory module so hard brick is possible)
Attached Files
File Type: zip KBStartMenu_09_forma_fw4.25_Fix_test.zip (3.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 01-30-2021, 09:35 AM   #869
bettonnotteb

Just to set the record straight, I don't have a forma, I have a libra h2o.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:47 AM   #870
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Given that this is a Forma, you should let Nickel run first before running KOReader because you want Nickel to initialize the hardware it needs to initialize. That means you don't actually need KSM and can go with Nickel/FMon.

The other thing, Nickel is a good thing to have installed anyway.