Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-08-2021, 06:46 AM   #16
BookWalker
Enthusiast
BookWalker began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro
You guys are so funny bantering back and forth

And you've all been a great help. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post

Toss that baby on a cellphone, bump up the font size a little, turn on Night Mode, then turn the phone landscape, and see if it still holds up. Most of the time, all those "fancy tricks" will break.
I'm about to have you picking yourself up off of the floor. Please be near something soft... I don't have a cell phone. ... No no. You read correctly. I'm an expat living in South America. I don't have anyone to call locally, so I can't justify the cost of a cellphone.
BookWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 07:29 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Jon, dear:

Yes, we've all agreed that it will.

Hitch
So given that my solution will work, there's no need to keep this thread going trying to find other solutions. Problem solved and thread done.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:31 AM   #18
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookWalker View Post
You guys are so funny bantering back and forth

And you've all been a great help. Thank you!

I'm about to have you picking yourself up off of the floor. Please be near something soft... I don't have a cell phone. ... No no. You read correctly. I'm an expat living in South America. I don't have anyone to call locally, so I can't justify the cost of a cellphone.
I had one of the very first "bricks" in Arizona (where I reside, for my sins). I even had a custom-designed briefcase to hold the cursedly heavy thing!

I was tethered to a cellphone for ages, whilst working in my then-chosen field. Once I left that arena, right around the housing collapse/crisis, I didn't have a smartphone for dog's years. absolute yonks. Then I had a flip phone, for safety reasons--accident, call the cops, etc.

We then moved and we're in a mountainous location that has NO cell service, wait for it, inside my home. You have to walk out, away from the house, about 500 feet in any direction to get a signal. Do that in the middle of July or August, when it's 117°℉!

Nonetheless, here, it's become quite literally impossible to live and use a computer without one. You can't pass security tests, generally, without one. Amazon (on the publishing side) requires two-step validation/verification and it's a nightmare trying to get them to send an email, rather than a text message. Ditto my bank, which insists on sending me notifications of dicey transactions (I seem to get a lot of practice identity theft, for some bizarro-world reason), to my PHONE, not my email. Thus, I gave up and got a phone that's effectively a small computer, a Samsung Note 9. At least I can use the cursed thing, but...I don't blame you a'tall for not having one. :-)

Nonetheless, being pristinely technical and all that, Tex is right. But for those of us that still love designed books, sigh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So given that my solution will work, there's no need to keep this thread going trying to find other solutions. Problem solved and thread done.
Jon, there's nothing wrong with trying to continue to find a better solution. Don't try so hard to close down the conversation or thread.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:43 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I had one of the very first "bricks" in Arizona (where I reside, for my sins). I even had a custom-designed briefcase to hold the cursedly heavy thing!

I was tethered to a cellphone for ages, whilst working in my then-chosen field. Once I left that arena, right around the housing collapse/crisis, I didn't have a smartphone for dog's years. absolute yonks. Then I had a flip phone, for safety reasons--accident, call the cops, etc.

We then moved and we're in a mountainous location that has NO cell service, wait for it, inside my home. You have to walk out, away from the house, about 500 feet in any direction to get a signal. Do that in the middle of July or August, when it's 117°℉!

Nonetheless, here, it's become quite literally impossible to live and use a computer without one. You can't pass security tests, generally, without one. Amazon (on the publishing side) requires two-step validation/verification and it's a nightmare trying to get them to send an email, rather than a text message. Ditto my bank, which insists on sending me notifications of dicey transactions (I seem to get a lot of practice identity theft, for some bizarro-world reason), to my PHONE, not my email. Thus, I gave up and got a phone that's effectively a small computer, a Samsung Note 9. At least I can use the cursed thing, but...I don't blame you a'tall for not having one. :-)

Nonetheless, being pristinely technical and all that, Tex is right. But for those of us that still love designed books, sigh....
The place we live in doesn't get all that good a cell signal. But we have a solution to the problem. The solution is we have a provider that supports WiFi calling. So I don't have to worry about the cell signal. You can do the same thing. Get a phone and a provider that both support WiFi calling.

Quote:
Jon, there's nothing wrong with trying to continue to find a better solution. Don't try so hard to close down the conversation or thread.

Hitch
There is one other solution. SVG for the chapter header except for Mobi (obsolete format). But other then that, I cannot think of a solution that would work in enough cases to combine the graphic and text as the OP originally wanted to do.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:24 PM   #20
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookWalker View Post
Well, it was just an easy "worst case" test to put ebooks through.

Cellphones:
  • are skinny/small
  • can turn landscape
  • read out loud
  • usually have "Night Mode" (changing colors).

All the "worst case" tests right there!

If you have an actual ereader (Nook/Kobo/Kindle), you can do similar:

Even bumping up the font size a few notches breaks badly coded books. (Like outside margins growing even larger, giving you even LESS space for big text.)

Quote:
Nonetheless, being pristinely technical and all that, Tex is right. But for those of us that still love designed books, sigh...
"Designed books"? Phooey!

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 01-08-2021 at 12:27 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 07:01 PM   #21
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post

"Designed books"? Phooey!
Stop being a brat, kid. :-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote