Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-16-2021, 12:14 PM   #1
1v4n0
Groupie
1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: kindle
Double language spellcheck not working

As per the title, the spellcheck list does not work with two dictionaries at a time. The words in the book are not highlighted, but when I launch the word list they are listed as not recognized.
Version 1.4.3
Here's a checklist that I was asked to provide.

1. Epub document language specified in content.opf: Italian
2. Sigil default document metadata language: English
3. Primary and Secondary dictionaries: Italian and German; same issues with Italian and English (but not with German and English).
4. Examples of words that aren't flagged as misspelled, but should be and vice versa: any kind of word. It just doesn't work.

Thank you in advance.
1v4n0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:21 PM   #2
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (Key3, PW2, PW3), Nook (ST, GLP), Kobo Touch, Tolino Vision 2
Hmmm…

Don't you have a language declared in an HTML or BODY tag?

Check my test file.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	italiano.png
Views:	187
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	184775  
Attached Files
File Type: epub italiano.epub (1.7 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by BeckyEbook; 01-16-2021 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Added screenshot
BeckyEbook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 02:44 PM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I just tested Becky's book, and it works fine with the latest Italian LibreOffice Hunspell dictionary.

Here's what I see when I select English as the primary dictionary and Italian as the secondary dictionary.

Code View:

Spellcheck dialog box:

Maybe there's a problem with the format of your current Italian dictionary.

Please try the following:
  • Make a backup copy of your current Italian dictionary, delete it from the \hunspell_dictionaries folder and extract the attached LibreOffice dictionary files to the \hunspell_dictionaries folder.
  • Select English as the primary dictionary and Italian as the secondary dictionary and open Becky's test book.
  • If you're still getting different results, close Sigil, rename sigil.ini to sigil.bak and repeat the test.
Attached Files
File Type: zip it_IT.zip (313.8 KB, 189 views)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 04:02 PM   #4
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Additional idea: if the misspelled words are not highlighted, maybe you don't have the highlight option enabled?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	highlight_misspelled_words.png
Views:	171
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	184778  
Old 01-17-2021, 06:00 AM   #5
1v4n0
Groupie
1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I just tested Becky's book, and it works fine with the latest Italian LibreOffice Hunspell dictionary.

Here's what I see when I select English as the primary dictionary and Italian as the secondary dictionary.
Wait, do I need to declare the language each time it changes, as BeckyEbook did with <span xml:lang="en">? Is this what the double dictionary spellcheck means?
I thought I could declare one language for the whole book, in the "content.opf", and then Sigil will recognize the words that are in the secondary language and not mark them as errors.
My problem is mainly with books that feature many interspersed words in another language. Marking them all is a huge pointless chore.

Thank you all as always.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:41 AM   #6
BeckyEbook
Guru

It is not necessary. Check, for example, such a code:

Code:
<p>It is not neccesary.</p>
Suggestions for the misspelled word will come from both dictionaries.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	it-en.png
Views:	181
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	184796  
Old 01-17-2021, 07:21 AM   #7
1v4n0
Groupie

Still doesn't work. See attachment.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	184797  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Ita-Ger.epub (1.7 KB, 182 views)
Old 01-17-2021, 07:51 AM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1v4n0 View Post
Still doesn't work. See attachment.
I'm getting the same results as you.

BTW, have you replaced your Italian dictionary with the one that I've attached to post #3?

With German as the primary dictionary and Italian as the secondary dictionary, I'm getting this:

With Italian as the primary dictionary and German as the secondary dictionary, I'm getting this:

@KevinH shouldn't the Spellcheck dialog box display "gennau" as a misspelled German word, if German is selected as the primary dictionary?

Last edited by Doitsu; 01-17-2021 at 08:06 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 08:07 AM   #9
1v4n0
Groupie

I'm checking the words from the spellcheck list, not from the book.
Yes, I tried that Italian dictionary and it's worse. It doesn't recognize some very common words, basic ones like "cioè". No idea why.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:50 AM   #10
BeckyEbook
Guru

IMHO, spell checking works fine, although there were problems with it in previous versions.

As far as I understand the idea in Sigil: the primary and secondary dictionaries DO NOT have any meaning in the Spellcheck window, they only apply when underlining incorrect words in the code view.

1. I set the main language in the OPF file in the language tag.
2. The dictionary in the Spellcheck window will use that language, unless specific words, sentences, paragraphs, or even entire xhtml files point to a different language.
And this way – IMVHO – is OK.

Perhaps I misunderstand it, but this method works in practice. Maybe @KevinH will comment on this thread and then we will all understand.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:02 AM   #11
1v4n0
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post

the primary and secondary dictionaries DO NOT have any meaning in the Spellcheck window, they only apply when underlining incorrect words in the code view.
Aha, this could be the explanation. Not what I need, but it makes sense now.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:30 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Becky has the right of it.

Red squiggly lines for misspelled (according to primary & secondary spell-check dictionaries) in Code View.

The Spellcheck Editor dialog will spellcheck words in multiple languages as determined by the lang and xml:lang attributes on html tags.

That's how it was left in the discussion/feedback thread from earlier in the fall, anyway: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=331060.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote