Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-27-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
wayner
Connoisseur
wayner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 in Canada, iPad wifi only
Why did the Kindle lose its memory card slot?

Why did Amazon remove the memory card slot on the Kindle 2? These cards are so cheap you could easily add 16GB to your Kindle and store tons of books and music.
wayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
You should ask Amazon. But I bet they won't say anything.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Why did Amazon remove the memory card slot on the Kindle 2? These cards are so cheap you could easily add 16GB to your Kindle and store tons of books and music.
We can only guess.

My guess is that they thought it was unnecessary when they bumped up the internal memory from 256MB to 2GB or that they cut it (and the user replaceable battery) so they could make it as thin as possible (0.70" to 0.36") or a combo of both.
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:19 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
We can only guess.

My guess is that they thought it was unnecessary when they bumped up the internal memory from 256MB to 2GB or that they cut it (and the user replaceable battery) so they could make it as thin as possible (0.70" to 0.36") or a combo of both.
Thats in a nutshell. stupid heads.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Kindle owners only need what Bezos says you need
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2009, 11:47 PM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
To make it even more difficult to put unofficial (not purchased at Amazon) stuff on it!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:04 AM   #7
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
To make it even more difficult to put unofficial (not purchased at Amazon) stuff on it!
Really?

It's as simple as plugging in the USB cable or emailing the file to your Kindle account email address.

Last edited by Sporadic; 11-28-2009 at 12:06 AM.
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:20 AM   #8
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Control.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:50 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I don't follow you. How does lack of a card slot makes it more difficult to put files on the device, given that they can be transferred via USB?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:39 AM   #10
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't follow you. How does lack of a card slot makes it more difficult to put files on the device, given that they can be transferred via USB?
My comment was unscientifically based on the three friends I have that have various ebook readers.

ALL have lost their cables and transfer books only by loading up their SD cards. Some less-techie users find it easier to deal with swapping out SD cards than hunting up an anonymous looking cable...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:08 AM   #11
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
I think there is another thing: the global indexer. If they allow you put a 32 GB memory card with 32 GB of Books, where store the index? Will it continue being so fast type and find?

I think that's the reason.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:27 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
I think there is another thing: the global indexer. If they allow you put a 32 GB memory card with 32 GB of Books, where store the index? Will it continue being so fast type and find?

I think that's the reason.
You can put a 32GB SD card in a K1 - what does it do?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:37 AM   #13
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can put a 32GB SD card in a K1 - what does it do?
I don't konw. Does K1 index all ebooks asn searches continue being quick? If yes, my theory goes to /dev/null.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:03 AM   #14
cathyhk
cathyhk began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
more memory SD card really needed - I'm a student and I wanted to listen to my lecture's voice recording and read study notes from kindle 2....

For other ppl may be needs for personal files, ease of transfer files to/from netbook, mp3...etc
cathyhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:30 PM   #15
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I think it was just poorly thought through cost cutting. The Kindle 2 design didn't appear to change so much that there was no longer room in the case for an SD slot. So they figured they could save $15 on the cost of making a Kindle by taking it out and sell the Kindle for $15 cheaper and did it. They failed to realise how much customers like the SD slot.

They probably lost more buyers due to Kindle 1 users not upgrading.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote