Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-24-2019, 02:10 PM   #1
Sissinghurst
Sissinghurst began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question My Clippings and resetting a Kindle

I've never previously returned a Kindle to factory settings that I wasn't about to sell.

If I need to reset it this time (it's a Paperwhite 2015) I'd like to put My Clippings as it currently is back onto the Kindle and not have it starting again blank. Is that possible?

(I don't upload highlights to Amazon, so can't get them from there.)
Sissinghurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:33 PM   #2
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
No, My Clippings is just a log file of your actions.
You may try to backup the whole documents folder (which includes sdr-folders for each ebook).
hius07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2019, 08:00 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It is just a log file, and as @hius07 alludes to, is not where your annotations are actually stored. So unless you back up and restore entire contents of Documents folder, your books won’t have annotations when you put them back on the reset device, and you’d have to re-create them from scratch.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:41 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It is just a log file, and as @hius07 alludes to, is not where your annotations are actually stored. So unless you back up and restore entire contents of Documents folder, your books won’t have annotations when you put them back on the reset device, and you’d have to re-create them from scratch.
For KF8 (azw3) files, the bookmarks, highlights, and personal notes are in the <bookname>.azw3r files inf the <bookname>.sdr directory. I have no idea where they go for KFX books (or mobi).
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:50 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
For KF8 (azw3) files, the bookmarks, highlights, and personal notes are in the <bookname>.azw3r files inf the <bookname>.sdr directory. I have no idea where they go for KFX books (or mobi).
Same sdr folder. Just named mbp1 for MOBI and yjr for KFX
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2019, 08:52 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Me neither, but I don’t side-load anything so it is of little interest to me.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:20 PM   #7
eilon
Enthusiast
eilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura about

Device: Oasis 2017
You might want to have a look at Kindle Mate http://www.kmate.me/

Kindle Mate is a neat tool with rich features designed to sync, organize, import & export Kindle clippings (Kindle highlights and notes) and Kindle Vocabulary Builder words on computer. We wish you would love more reading and learning with Kindle.
eilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:37 AM   #8
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
I saved mine to Calibre and imported them into my new Kindle. No issues.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
highlights, notes