Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-23-2020, 03:28 PM   #1
arganami
arganami began at the beginning.

Device: Surface Pro 1st gen
Surface pro 1st gen screen Orientation

Hi

i am a relatively new user. I installed Latest Calibre, started it and It changed the screen orientation, when I exited Calibre the screen rotation worked. I unistalled that version and installed latest v. 3, now the screen works fine. Is there anyway to fix it so that I can run v. 4?
arganami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:57 PM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have a Surface Pro and Screen Orientation has always worked as it is supposed to with Calibre.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:26 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Which version of Windows are you both running?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:39 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Apache, @JSWolf - maybe the ". . . 1st generation" qualifier may be relevant.

@arganami - try adjusting the Preferences->Look and feel->Adjust for high resolution screens (needs restart): setting

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-23-2020 at 07:42 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:25 AM   #5
arganami

I'm running latest version of windows, 1909 on Surface Pro 1st gen I5.
I installed Calibre 4.8 twice, each time after a new windows reinstall and both times first start up was ok, subsequent start up, the windows open up in landscape mode no matter if Surface is turned or not and Calibre is in full screen, can not adjust the size.
I instaleed 4.9 and tried changing Adjust for high resolution screens, all three choices was tested, it did not help.

Any other clues? I would really like to run the latest version.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:13 AM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Some how I missed that he had a 1st Generation. I have a Generation 6 now running the newest version of 10 pro. I remember with my first Surface Pro I had orientation issues with it. It was a problem with the orientation of the Surface becoming fixed and the orientation button would gray out. Microsoft finally got around to fixing that after a few years. I have never had a problem with orientation caused by Calibre.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:24 AM   #7
arganami

This orientatation issue is caused by Calibre, version 4,8 and 4.9 I have testd. No other app/program cause the problem though I have not tested that many. As far as orientation goes it works perfectly ok, I have no issues with Orientation in general.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:21 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This is likely an incompatibility with the updated version of Qt calibre 4 uses and your device. calibre itself contains no code that deals with screen orientation at all.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:40 PM   #9
arganami

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
This is likely an incompatibility with the updated version of Qt calibre 4 uses and your device. calibre itself contains no code that deals with screen orientation at all.
So I guess no chances of getting newer version, I have to run version 3?
Old 01-24-2020, 10:36 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by arganami View Post
So I guess no chances of getting newer version, I have to run version 3?
You can try searching for workarounds involving Qt and your device, but since it is hardware/drivers specific for a single model of surface, there may not be any.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:37 AM   #11
arganami

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can try searching for workarounds involving Qt and your device, but since it is hardware/drivers specific for a single model of surface, there may not be any.
Searched but couldn't find anything useful. It is probably the graphic driver since v. 4.91 worked whan I chose Microsoft basic display adapter, unfortunatley that driver is not good on the eye, I tried 4 diffrent drivers for Intel hd 4000 and so far no luck.
It is a shame that system is good enough to run latest Windows 10 and every other program I need except latest Calibre.