Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-27-2019, 03:35 AM   #1
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Resurrecting the Kobo Easter Eggs?

I was looking through Kobo's Github account and noticed they posted the code for the blackjack, poker and chess games they used to ship on their devices. For anyone with a cross compile environment, I'm curious: Since the code is open source, would it be possible to compile the binaries and use something like KFmon or KSM to launch them with an appropriate script? Or is the firmware or hardware too new to execute them in 2019? Solitare's fun, but I do enjoy a hand of poker or 21 sometimes too. :P
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:53 AM   #2
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Yes, this is possible. NiLuJe and I have been working on this sort of thing. We were intending to make it public a month ago, but the firmware changes caused that time to be spent on the patches instead (and now I'm taking a break). Basically, all we have left to do is figure out the new status bar stuff so you don't get the reading scrubber and menus showing on top of plugins.

If you have a GitHub account, I can add you to the repo so you can try it. For cross compiling, I have a Docker image with NiLuJe's toolchain: geek1011/kobo-toolchain.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2019, 01:10 PM   #3
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I do (https://github.com/rtiangha) and wouldn't mind at least looking at the code because in the far future, I'd love to be able to code or compile other apps for this thing (certainly custom kernels) so the more sample code, the better, but I'd probably need to clear off some hard drive space first to actually start compiling things. About how much space does the Docker image take up, and how much working space needed for the compilation?
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:21 PM   #4
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
I do (https://github.com/rtiangha) and wouldn't mind at least looking at the code because in the far future, I'd love to be able to code or compile other apps for this thing (certainly custom kernels) so the more sample code, the better, but I'd probably need to clear off some hard drive space first to actually start compiling things. About how much space does the Docker image take up, and how much working space needed for the compilation?
~600mb should be enough. I've sent you an invitation to the repo. Feel free to comment/ask questions on the commits (I suggest you read the existing comments on all of them, as that's where most of the useful info is).

Last edited by geek1011; 11-27-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:00 PM   #5
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
geek1011/Patrick,
You asked for the epub of the book so that u could examine the CSS, and I sent it to you as a link in a PM. But you haven't replied yet.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2019, 05:17 PM   #6
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
geek1011/Patrick,
You asked for the epub of the book so that u could examine the CSS, and I sent it to you as a link in a PM. But you haven't replied yet.
Sorry, I missed that. But, isn't this the wrong thread? I think the issue is to do with the precedence of the class selectors. Try removing all font-family rules from the CSS and repacking the EPUB. If that doesn't work, I'll take a closer look.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:31 PM   #7
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your response, geek1011. Sorry, but i'm not a coder. I don't know how to remove "all font-family rules from the CSS and repack the epub". shouldn't your patch take precedence with regard to font over anything an epub may force the reader to use?
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 07:30 PM   #8
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks for your response, geek1011. Sorry, but i'm not a coder. I don't know how to remove "all font-family rules from the CSS and repack the epub". shouldn't your patch take precedence with regard to font over anything an epub may force the reader to use?
Those patches are for the epub reader, not the kepub reader. Also, I didn't make those patches, so I don't know the details of how they work.

And, can a mod move these posts to the original thread?
Old 01-20-2020, 01:39 PM   #9
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
I there any news on easter eggs?
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:14 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
If you want to PM me with a link to the book, I can take a quick look at it.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 03:26 PM   #11
Scaledish
A friend
Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Yes, this is possible. NiLuJe and I have been working on this sort of thing. We were intending to make it public a month ago, but the firmware changes caused that time to be spent on the patches instead (and now I'm taking a break). Basically, all we have left to do is figure out the new status bar stuff so you don't get the reading scrubber and menus showing on top of plugins.

If you have a GitHub account, I can add you to the repo so you can try it. For cross compiling, I have a Docker image with NiLuJe's toolchain: geek1011/kobo-toolchain.
any updates? I would love to try it. I'm on GitHub as "scaledish"
Scaledish is offline   Reply With Quote