Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 11-18-2019, 06:15 AM   #1
stefano.sb
Zealot
stefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Error "No folder was selected" - CC

Hi,
I have installed CC ver 5.4.3.3 (payed version) into my Beelkin GT-King Android TV box with Android 9.0 Lollipop.

When I try to connect to a Local folder to read my Calibre library CC returns “No folder was selected” error.

At the end of Calibre.companion.debug.log there is this exception:
Spoiler:

2019-11-15 23:26:34.387: opening Lollipop chooser
android.content.ActivityNotFoundException: No Activity found to handle Intent { act=android.intent.action.OPEN_DOCUMENT_TREE flg=0x40 (has extras) }
at android.app.Instrumentation.checkStartActivityResu lt(Instrumentation.java:2007)
at android.app.Instrumentation.execStartActivity(Inst rumentation.java:1673)
at android.app.Activity.startActivityForResult(Activi ty.java:4586)
at android.app.Activity.startActivityForResult(Activi ty.java:4544)
at com.multipie.cclibrary.LocalData.a.p.a(Source:37)
at com.multipie.cclibrary.Cloud.CloudActivity.e(Sourc e:1265)
at com.multipie.cclibrary.Cloud.CloudActivity$24.run( Source:385)
at com.multipie.cclibrary.MainActivityHelpers.c.a(Sou rce:86)
at com.multipie.cclibrary.MainActivityHelpers.c.a(Sou rce:37)
at com.multipie.cclibrary.MainActivityHelpers.c.a(Sou rce:30)
at com.multipie.cclibrary.Cloud.CloudActivity.k(Sourc e:381)
at com.multipie.cclibrary.Cloud.CloudActivity.onResum e(Source:352)
at android.app.Instrumentation.callActivityOnResume(I nstrumentation.java:1412)
at android.app.Activity.performResume(Activity.java:7 292)
at android.app.ActivityThread.performResumeActivity(A ctivityThread.java:3776)
at android.app.ActivityThread.handleResumeActivity(Ac tivityThread.java:3816)
at android.app.servertransaction.ResumeActivityItem.e xecute(ResumeActivityItem.java:51)
at android.app.servertransaction.TransactionExecutor. executeLifecycleState(TransactionExecutor.java:145 )
at android.app.servertransaction.TransactionExecutor. execute(TransactionExecutor.java:70)
at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(Activit yThread.java:1808)
at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:10 6)
at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:193)
at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.jav a:6669)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsC aller.run(RuntimeInit.java:493)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit .java:858)
2019-11-15 23:26:34.389: Log flush

I think there is a problem with Android 9.0 version because on my old samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 the same CC version works fine

Thanks

Stefano

Last edited by theducks; 11-18-2019 at 11:13 AM. Reason: spoilered
stefano.sb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:04 PM   #2
Sasha1141
Sasha1141 began at the beginning.

Device: Icarus Illumina xl hd, kobo aura one
Any chance this problem might be fixed? Calibre Companion was a key consideration for my purchasing the Boox Note 2 ereader and now it can't even see my local library.

I hope this forum is one that Mr. Cohen, the new developer for CC, pays attention to.
Sasha1141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2020, 01:55 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha1141 View Post
Any chance this problem might be fixed? Calibre Companion was a key consideration for my purchasing the Boox Note 2 ereader and now it can't even see my local library.

I hope this forum is one that Mr. Cohen, the new developer for CC, pays attention to.
1. no
2. its not

read more widely

android has not been updated since July 2018

the new developer has delivered nothing, except for breaking IOS version

i'm surprised you even got it sideloaded to android tv, surely it expects a touch screen. Did the app manage to ask permission to use local storage, if it could not present that pop up dialogue ( because its on Tv) , maybe that's the problem.
even if you get past that, what next? to use it, it will need to hand off books to a book reader app. are you going to read books on a TV ???. how are you going to turn the pages ???

Last edited by stumped; 01-07-2020 at 03:35 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:34 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ps . CC with android 9 on a tablet is OK. I have that working
Old 01-07-2020, 05:04 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano.sb View Post
Hi,
[I]2019-11-15 23:26:34.387: opening Lollipop chooser
android.content.ActivityNotFoundException: No Activity found to handle Intent { act=android.intent.action.OPEN_DOCUMENT_TREE flg=0x40 (has extras) }
This says that your TV box does not implement the Android Storage Access Facility (SAF). CC cannot work with it.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2020, 09:26 AM   #6
stefano.sb
Zealot
stefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
1. no
2. its not

read more widely

android has not been updated since July 2018

the new developer has delivered nothing, except for breaking IOS version
Hi, thanks for the answers.

Quote:
i'm surprised you even got it sideloaded to android tv, surely it expects a touch screen. Did the app manage to ask permission to use local storage, if it could not present that pop up dialogue ( because its on Tv) , maybe that's the problem.
Yes, the app presents a pop up dialogue and it has permission to use local storage

Quote:
even if you get past that, what next?
to use it, it will need to hand off books to a book reader app. are you going to read books on a TV ???. how are you going to turn the pages ???
I'd like to use CC on Android TV to create a Calibre Library for my family to share books with my wife or children. I don't want to read books on a TV but choose an e-book from this library and send it (by email) to one of the Kindle device present in my family

Stefano
stefano.sb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:45 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard

Ok, your problem will be finding an app with a compatible control scheme. Easier if your android tv will accept an air mouse via a usb dongle.
If all you want is a display ,could u use a photos app to browse book cover pictures?
You can get all the cover pictures out of calibre easily enough, copy them to a folder in , say, Google drive, then try to view that.

Having said that, my android tv based Nvidia shield TV lacks the abilly to see Google photos. It can only scan for and display pictures on its own local storage.

You can in fact copy a whole calibre library into g drive if you have enough space. The TV should see it via cloud so will not have to locally store it

I don't think getting android tv to eand emails with attachments will be very doable though, so you may have to fulfill their choices by some other method

Android TV, and kindle / Amazon cloud don't really play nice together.

You could try sideloading kindle for Android app, but I would not be optimistic.

Moon reader may sideload more easily and it has its own bookshelves display feature

Last edited by stumped; 01-20-2020 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:07 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard

Fyi. I have on order a g20 voice remote for Android tv which is allegedly fully usable on Nvidia shield and has a gyro based air mouse function. Very cheap from eBay if u wait for shipping from China, or if you pay more you can get one next day from Amazon. Needs a usb port for its dongle.
I would try that or similar, then sideload all the candidate reader apps you can find.
Possibly even a file explorer app would work to display book covers.
Alternatively you install an Internet browser app and point it at your calibre content server