Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-13-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
kbirdz
kbirdz began at the beginning.

Device: e-Book Reader
Which reader advice

I am used to a ebookwise 1150, which I love. I've had a stroke which has left me with only the use of my left hand. I am looking for a new reader and would like advice on which would be the easiest for one handed use. Backlit would be preferable for reading at night. Larger page turning buttons would help. I don't need it for music or videos but if it could play a couple of games it would be wonderful. I looked at the nook and I could do the page swipe with one hand, I felt I would have better control with buttons. It also felt too thin and was difficult to get a good grip. I love Geblibrarian - do the new readers have anything similiar where you can have your books listed in the order you want them?
kbirdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
The sony 650 is dear, but on top of the touch option it has buttons to turn pages situated at the bottom left, which I personally use more often than swiping.
I hope someone else can give you more tips so you can have a choice of devices in the end.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
I turn the pages on my Nook with its touchscreen function exclusively, not bothered with the physical buttons. This is how I hold it: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...4&d=1311175092 . If in my left hand, I do the same index finger/thumb thing.

I usually hold it in one hand like it is a physical novel, with my index finger perched at the top corner. If in my right hand, my thumb would then be used to either touch the right side of screen to move forward or swipe to the left to move backwards. Similarly, when I use my left hand, my thumb would swipe to the right to move forward and touch the left side of screen to move backwards.

Maybe you can go into B&N to see if you can get a comfortable grip? If you want to use the physical buttons, they are there. I have not used mine yet to have them 'seasoned' and soft to the touch, but they are not that difficult to depress.

One of the negatives is it does not have backlit screen. On the other hand, I appreciate the reduction in eyestrain. Plus a booklight would compensate for that without compromising on battery life.

Alternatively, if there are other readers whose functions you like but you do not feel comfortable gripping onto, there are numerous covers on the market that will add that bulk without too much weight.
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:09 AM   #4
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I forgot another reader which is cheap and really, really good, with big buttons on the right side but the device has a function which permits to turn it upside down and use it with the buttons on the left hand side.
It is the Pocketbook 360, it is for sale in the US for around 100 $ or a bit more on its basic version, and 149 if I remember well in its Plus version. I live in Europe so we have different prices obviously, you'd need to check that.
Dullin's Book, who is a member here, sells them in the US, and he is a real nice guy (girl ? don't know actually) who is always available for advices and such, do not hesitate to contact him if needed (no, I don't work for PB, but I appreciate a lot his presence on the forum, informative without being pushy).
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I forgot another reader which is cheap and really, really good, with big buttons on the right side but the device has a function which permits to turn it upside down and use it with the buttons on the left hand side.
It is the Pocketbook 360, it is for sale in the US for around 100 $ or a bit more on its basic version, and 149 if I remember well in its Plus version. I live in Europe so we have different prices obviously, you'd need to check that.
Dullin's Book, who is a member here, sells them in the US, and he is a real nice guy (girl ? don't know actually) who is always available for advices and such, do not hesitate to contact him if needed (no, I don't work for PB, but I appreciate a lot his presence on the forum, informative without being pushy).
...and the PocketBook 360 does have a nice "hack": You can turn pages without pressing buttons or swiping a touchscreen: Just by slightly turning you wrist.
I love this feature. On the beach, I simply pack this reader in a ziplog bag for protection and don't have to worry, whether the buttons still can be pressed.
In addition, it's a real compact and light reader and comfortable to hold in one hand.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2011, 06:01 AM   #6
kbirdz
kbirdz began at the beginning.

Device: e-Book Reader
Thank you for the suggestions. I will try to find a store that has the PB360 so I can see it in person. I will also check out the Nook again and see if a cover will make it easier to hold.
kbirdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #7
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
One more consideration is weight. I read mostly single-handedly, so I was quite shocked, when I got my PB302 (280gr.), as it does make a difference compared to a reader of the sub-200gr class.

The PB360 sounds like a very good choice for your situation, it has pretty big buttons plus the before mentioned hack.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote