Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-04-2009, 08:37 AM   #46
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Also, I forgot to point out that as far as we can tell, they've lowered the standards on the new devices so they can put them at a much lower price ($199 and $299 respectively).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:57 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirakix View Post
Sony - no more!

I have had it with Sony. I purchased a PRS-700 this year and asked them a dozen times if they intend to include a dictionary, a resolution for the blurry screen and several other things in their next firmware update. No answer so far. Instead they just develop new half baked gadgets and sell them for the full price.

No solution for "used books" (resell them through their bookstore, extend the drm to give them away to let's say 5 "friends" or sth like that)

I would not recommend Sony any more. It is all about profit and not about the customer.

My five cents
mira
Sony is not at fault here. It's the nature of DRM. Go to Amazon, Mobipocket, Adobe, and others with DRM and you'll find the same issues. So please don't blame Sony for what is not their fault. Blame the publishers for wanting DRM.

As for the 700's screen, if you were unhappy with it, why did you keep it? We buy our readers for what they are and what they can do now. If we get new features later on, that's a bonus, but we cannot expect them. It was a pleasant surprise to get ePub on the 505. But when I bought it, I wasn't expecting another format to be added.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2009, 08:58 AM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Also, I forgot to point out that as far as we can tell, they've lowered the standards on the new devices so they can put them at a much lower price ($199 and $299 respectively).
We know the 300 is a lower end device (maybe) but I rather doubt the 600 would be.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:03 AM   #49
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We know the 300 is a lower end device (maybe) but I rather doubt the 600 would be.
I guess it depends how you look at it. Still looks like a good device.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:48 AM   #50
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Quote:
I guess it depends how you look at it. Still looks like a good device.
I agree with Jon here. The 600 is a merging of the 505 and 700 giving people what they asked for. It is certainly not lower end than the 505. Most people (at least in this forum) that have the 700 say that having the integral light wasn't worth the loss of screen clarity (assuming that was the issue). Of course we don't know yet what the product line will be after these are released. Will it be 4 devices, 300/505/600/700, more likely three devices, 300/600/700 or most likely two devices 300/600 that they continue to sell?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #51
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
My guess would be 300/600/900 line-up.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:59 AM   #52
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Sounds good. Will the 900 be a 6inch or 9inch device?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #53
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I agree with Jon here. The 600 is a merging of the 505 and 700 giving people what they asked for. It is certainly not lower end than the 505. Most people (at least in this forum) that have the 700 say that having the integral light wasn't worth the loss of screen clarity (assuming that was the issue). Of course we don't know yet what the product line will be after these are released. Will it be 4 devices, 300/505/600/700, more likely three devices, 300/600/700 or most likely two devices 300/600 that they continue to sell?

BOb
I guess I keep focusing on the lack of light as the downgrade, instead of all the (supposed) added new features. Not that I view taking away the light as a negative at all. I meant lower end than the 700 anyway.

I think they'll get rid of the 505 and the 700, as much as I hate to say it. It would be too big of a product line to have all four out. As for a third potential new model, who knows? I think so though.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I guess I keep focusing on the lack of light as the downgrade, instead of all the (supposed) added new features. Not that I view taking away the light as a negative at all. I meant lower end than the 700 anyway.
The problem with the light is that it drains the battery too quickly (IMHO). And because the light made a gap between the screen and the touch layer, it made the screen less sharp and clear. I'm hoping the 600's screen is going to be good since the touch layer will be flush against the screen.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #55
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The problem with the light is that it drains the battery too quickly (IMHO). And because the light made a gap between the screen and the touch layer, it made the screen less sharp and clear. I'm hoping the 600's screen is going to be good since the touch layer will be flush against the screen.
I know. I don't like the light.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:47 AM   #56
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
This is my guess, too.

Quote:

I think they'll get rid of the 505 and the 700, as much as I hate to say it. It would be too big of a product line to have all four out. As for a third potential new model, who knows? I think so though.
I have to agree with you , Lilac. My thinking is that they have listened to all of us and are taking steps to correct the problems in their earlier models and to make them more attractive cost-wise, either for new buyers or repeat customers who want to upgrade.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:52 AM   #57
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
This is my guess, too.

I have to agree with you , Lilac. My thinking is that they have listened to all of us and are taking steps to correct the problems in their earlier models and to make them more attractive cost-wise, either for new buyers or repeat customers who want to upgrade.
Yeah I actually like this whole plan. As much as I love my 505, the 600 (as far as I can see) would be a decent replacement for my 505, and the 300 is a really great way to get more people interested in the market. I would think for 700 owners, the 600 is still a good device replacement as well (but I can't speak from experience of course).
Old 08-04-2009, 11:56 AM   #58
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Yeah I actually like this whole plan. As much as I love my 505, the 600 (as far as I can see) would be a decent replacement for my 505, and the 300 is a really great way to get more people interested in the market. I would think for 700 owners, the 600 is still a good device replacement as well (but I can't speak from experience of course).
if the 600 is like the 700 but :
- without sidelights and therefore improved screen clarity
- with integrated dictionary function
- with possibility to add scribble notes OR type them on the soft keyboard, and export notes to the pc

as far as i'm concerned it's *better* than the 700. i will almost surely get one. not sure whether to keep the 700 or not. maybe i'll sell it to finance the 600...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:58 AM   #59
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
if the 600 is like the 700 but :
- without sidelights and therefore improved screen clarity
- with integrated dictionary function
- with possibility to add scribble notes OR type them on the soft keyboard, and export notes to the pc

as far as i'm concerned it's *better* than the 700. i will almost surely get one. not sure whether to keep the 700 or not. maybe i'll sell it to finance the 600...
I think just one of those would make the 600 a better device

ACK I wanna see one of these things! Just so we can know for sure!
Old 08-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #60
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
I think just one of those would make the 600 a better device

ACK I wanna see one of these things! Just so we can know for sure!
actually i agree with you but for purely egotistical reasons i'm hoping for the trifecta.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote