Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-02-2018, 06:23 PM   #3196
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter
ChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question UNABLE to find user partition on Kindle

It seems my PW3 is not eligible for a jailbreak yet (5.9.6.1), so I was trying to following the directions to stop future updates. However, I cant find the user partition mentioned here:

"if your firmware is more recent than 5.8.7 - your best bet is to block updates (empty directory named 'update.bin.tmp.partial' at the root of your user partition) "

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks very much.
ChipAHoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:36 PM   #3197
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
You create a new, empty folder, and name it "update.bin.tmp.partial"

Put it at the top level of the only part of the Kindle you are allowed to see. That's the user partition.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:50 PM   #3198
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter
ChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notes

Thanks for that info, Deb.

When I plug my Kindle into my Macbook, and look at its contents in the Finder window (I think it's called Explorer in Windows), is that what you mean by the only part of Kindle I am allowed to see?

I ask because it seems like I can look anywhere with my Kindle plugged in.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:04 PM   #3199
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAHoy View Post
- - - -
I ask because it seems like I can look anywhere with my Kindle plugged in.
Wrong.
You can only see a very tiny sub-section of the Kindle's file system.

MacOs and Linux share a common heritage - -
Go into your "Terminal" application on your Mac and list all of the directories at the "root" (/) of the file system.
Those are reserved names and are (almost) always present on any system that shares the Unix heritage.

Now plug in the USB cable from your Kindle and examine the highest directory level you can see over that USB cable.
How many of those reserved names can you see?
One, maybe two?
Do you really think you can see everything?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:49 AM   #3200
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter

knc1 - first off, I don't know how to tell Terminal to list all of the directories on the Kindle

then, with my Kindle attached via USB to my Mac, how am I supposed to tell which are reserved names?

https://imgur.com/a/xootoy3
Old 08-03-2018, 06:53 AM   #3201
Antinoos
Groupie
Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: PW3, KT3 (fw 5.8.11 with jb)
Non of them are Linux system files - what you see there already is the user visible storage. Add the mentioned empty folder 'update.bin.tmp.partial' there, just beside documents and all the others. You also might set it read-only and hidden/system, so your Mac greys it out like e.g. 'system' in your screenshot. Just make sure this is a FOLDER, not a file with the name mentioned - that wouldn't work...
Antinoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:28 AM   #3202
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Code:
ls -l /
- - - - - -

None of those in the screen shot.
Which was my point.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:29 AM   #3203
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antinoos View Post
Non of them are Linux system files - what you see there already is the user visible storage. Add the mentioned empty folder 'update.bin.tmp.partial' there, just beside documents and all the others. You also might set it read-only and hidden/system, so your Mac greys it out like e.g. 'system' in your screenshot. Just make sure this is a FOLDER, not a file with the name mentioned - that wouldn't work...
Thank very much for the helpful reply.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:52 PM   #3204
Divion
Enthusiast
Divion began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite 2
Hi, I jailbreaked my PW2 on early 2014 and i updated my PW2 that jailbreak was broken. Now, I want to jailbreak my PW2 again and I dont know how to jailbreak my PW2 (5.9.6.1 FW). I think my jailbreak survive. Please tell me tutorial and all required link to jailbreak.

Thanks......
Divion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:19 AM   #3205
kindle46
kindle46 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 and 6
Can anyone please tell me what type of kindle a "SY69JL" is (PW2, PW3, PW3W, KT2, KV, KOA KT3?) ? Thanks too ...
kindle46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:20 PM   #3206
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@kindle46: No, we can't. Check the wiki.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:45 AM   #3207
kindle46

Thanks; then it's a KT3/KT3W and I will check for jailbreak-software (duokan does not exist for it? It's SW Kindle 5.9.4).

Last edited by kindle46; 08-20-2018 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:11 AM   #3208
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindle46 View Post
Thanks; then it's a KT3/KT3W and I will check for jailbreak-software (duokan does not exist for it? It's SW Kindle 5.9.4).
You are out of luck with your FW. Only option is serial port jailbreak.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #3209
Antinoos
Groupie
Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: PW3, KT3 (fw 5.8.11 with jb)
Not necessarily! If this 5.9.4 is the out-of-the-box fw (i.e. the device never got any OTA or sideload update...), there's a little chance that a downgrade to the initial factory test fw COULD work.
Antinoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:11 AM   #3210
kindle46

And where do I get such an initial factory test fw from ?