Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-08-2020, 01:46 AM   #1
cqman
Groupie
cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle DXG, Onyx Boox Max1, Max2, Nova, Hisense A5 Pro
Boox Phone Reader?

We'll see.

CES2020
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6f7aa7c3gy1gaox9crtixj20u0140dk3.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	176243  
cqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:52 AM   #2
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqman View Post
We'll see.

CES2020
let's hope so
(using a kingrow k1 in the meantime)
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2020, 06:34 AM   #3
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue Likebook Note & Mimas, Hisense A5, hopefully soon a PineNote
I am using the Hisense A5 since a few days and i am quite content with it so far. For me, this finally is a smartphone that makes sense thanks to the e-ink display.

Nonetheless, it would be great to have more options and i'd be glad to see some competition coming from Onyx Boox in that area.
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:53 AM   #4
pinko
pinko doesn't litterpinko doesn't litterpinko doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox C67
ohhhh yessss 😍😍😍
Onyx previews its new E-Ink smartphone at CES 2020. It comes with a 5.8" E-Ink display, Android 9 and an octa-core ARM processor.

video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyBPpwcDJgQ&t=15s
article: https://notebookitalia.it/onyx-smart...nteprima-29252

very good: three mode with higher refresh rate and Play Store support
pinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:10 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
That does look very interesting indeed.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2020, 07:41 AM   #6
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
I like it.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:33 AM   #7
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Ah, this comes out just after I received my Hisense A5 two days ago. Figures...

Haven't really had too much time yet to play with the A5, but I am quite liking it.

However, I've discovered that a couple of my favourite apps won't run without Google Play services. Hadn't been expecting that. I knew that Google Maps and other such apps from Google likely wouldn't work and that I would manually have to update sideloaded apps etc. But I am sorely missing Moon + Reader Pro and a well used Japanese dictionary app. Fortunately, the free version of Moon + Reader is working.

So, if Onyx can get Google Play working, and if other specs are similar or better, I may just be tempted...
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:14 AM   #8
dkccerbero
Connoisseur
dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Note2
Im waiting for this, a color e ink smartphone: https://youtu.be/JAVZL83k5aU
dkccerbero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:12 AM   #9
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, looks exciting. I kind of like the muted colours.

It looks exactly like the Hisense A5 except with a colour screen. It will be interesting to see how it performs and what cost it comes in at.

It will also be interesting to see if Onyx comes out with a colour eink phone now. Competition can be a good thing... May wait for a while before I make any more phone purchases.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:20 PM   #10
Philju
Enthusiast
Philju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: none
@Onyx:
If I were you I would consider just to skip the black/white e ink phone display shown at CES 2020 and to replace it by a color e ink display right from the start.

Since Hisense presented the first color e ink display at CES 2020 everybody is waiting for this technology to get rolled out. Therefore I assume that only very few people would still buy a smartphone with a black/white display at the moment.

By offering your new e ink phone with a color display you could not only catch up with your competitor Hisense but even outnumber them, because your products allow Google services. Hisense however is still too stubborn to realize the significance of working Google services to achieve broad consumer acceptance.
Philju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:54 PM   #11
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philju View Post
@Onyx:
If I were you I would consider just to skip the black/white e ink phone display shown at CES 2020 and to replace it by a color e ink display right from the start.

Since Hisense presented the first color e ink display at CES 2020 everybody is waiting for this technology to get rolled out. Therefore I assume that only very few people would still buy a smartphone with a black/white display at the moment.

By offering your new e ink phone with a color display you could not only catch up with your competitor Hisense but even outnumber them, because your products allow Google services.
Quite agree. A black and white eink phone will be a hard sell once a colour eink phones comes out. Unless, of course, the colour eink phones are ridiculously expensive or they perform comparatively poorly.

Quote:
Hisense however is still too stubborn to realize the significance of working Google services to achieve broad consumer acceptance.
Hisense did have Google Play on their dual screen A2 Pro. I have one and it works fine.

The A5 is aimed at the Chinese domestic market. As such, there isn't any particular need for Google services on it. It would only become advantageous if they were actively courting the international market.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:04 PM   #12
Philju
Enthusiast
Philju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
The A5 is aimed at the Chinese domestic market. As such, there isn't any particular need for Google services on it. It would only become advantageous if they were actively courting the international market.
You are right. Google services are even prohibited within China.

I just can't understand why Hisense doesn't offer its latest e-ink products to the western world (including Google services). It's so frustrating always just to wait until they might consider eventually to deliver those products to the rest of the world. Is Hisense so unmotivated to turn all the money down they could earn in those markets?
Philju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:16 PM   #13
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Both rumors and evidence (refresh rate) show that the one presented by Hisense is not a new technology: it is a colour filter on top - à la Triton.

ACEP, I have seen in the E-Ink shop that 13.3'' displays are available - their refresh rate is apparently 25 seconds. Do not mix up ACEP and that "colour E-Ink phone".

If the E-Ink VB3300-EBA (I suppose that is) is overlaid with the filter, its 1280x720 may become a 640x360; its 284 DPI may become a 142 DPI. Is that enough?

That product must be seen in real life or adequate recordings, before calling it a win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Quite agree. A black and white eink phone will be a hard sell once a colour eink phones comes out. Unless, of course, the colour eink phones are ridiculously expensive or they perform comparatively poorly
...Or, as just written, unless they look bad.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:28 AM   #14
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinko View Post
ohhhh yessss ������
Onyx previews its new E-Ink smartphone at CES 2020. It comes with a 5.8" E-Ink display, Android 9 and an octa-core ARM processor.

video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyBPpwcDJgQ&t=15s
article: https://notebookitalia.it/onyx-smart...nteprima-29252

very good: three mode with higher refresh rate and Play Store support
Looks like a great reading device. Quick and responsive!

I am pondering buying the Hisense as a reading device, but as the Onyx guy said "It'll be released in early 2020" in the video, "in a few months", I might just wait.

The video was recorded in January, before corona got pandemic. So as many companies have shut down their factories now, the info in the video could be outdated, but I checked with Onyx and got an upbeat reply that the phone ain't on the marked yet, but "check our Facebook for new notifications".

Last edited by norweger; 04-08-2020 at 01:45 PM.
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:02 AM   #15
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
I got in touch, and they're saying the phone is coming "soon". Hopefully that means weeks, not months.
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote