Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-30-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
replacing prs950 battery

Has anyone figured out how to replace the prs950 battery when it expires? If so, please let me know. Thanks
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
laughingdragons
Groupie
laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350 1 Pink 1 Silver Paperwhite Kindle
Hi,

Here's a link to a place that sells the battery and has a video on how to change it.

http://www.newpower99.com/Battery_fo...%20prs-650.htm
laughingdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
laughingdragons
Groupie
laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

oops sorry that is for the 650 they don't have one for the 950
Old 04-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
laughingdragons: Thanks for the link. I looked at the video on newpower99 for the prs-650 battery replacemtn, and opening the 950 appears to be identical to that of the 650 (although I haven't tried this yet). I emailed newpower99 about whether the 650 battery is the same as that for the 950 but they didn't know.
Bob
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
laughingdragons
Groupie

Your welcome maybe try emailing sony and see if they use the same battery.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Do the x00 and x50 series use different batteries? The battery replacement for the 900 is also sold by that company:

Link

Edit: Apparently, the 600 and 650 batteries are not the same, so I'd imagine the same might be true for the 900 and 950.

As a secondary measure, have you considered one of these?

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-14-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
The 900 has a user replaceable battery that is easily swapped out much like a camera. It was perhaps the only model to have this feature.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Right. Came to the same conclusion in my moments-after edit, but it's good to have that extra bit of background.

Still, the external battery pack looks like an annoying but workable compromise until people just can't take it any more.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur
eriksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-950 (broken screen) kobo aura hd
Are you guys already having battery issues with your sony readers? should i get worried?
eriksnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:21 AM   #10
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

I think we're all worried because the 950's a few years old, the battery's internal, no one seems to be making a replacement (unless the 650 replacement works) and there really isn't another model like it. I use it exclusively for public readings. I have readings next Saturday and Sunday and I'll be bringing my 950 and leaving paper copies at home.

I really don't want to go back to 6" screens for public readings, so I want to get as much life out of the 950 as possible.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:05 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
I think we're all worried because the 950's a few years old, the battery's internal, no one seems to be making a replacement (unless the 650 replacement works) and there really isn't another model like it. I use it exclusively for public readings. I have readings next Saturday and Sunday and I'll be bringing my 950 and leaving paper copies at home.

I really don't want to go back to 6" screens for public readings, so I want to get as much life out of the 950 as possible.
Actually, the 950 is yet to be even two years old. It will be two years old come October. But that is the maximum age of the 950 depending when the one you have was made.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

In which case we can say the 950 is nearly a few years old. But the point remains the same: People who depend on its particular form factor (and perhaps other features) intend to keep using it long after the battery might begin to go. Some of them are looking for solutions to problems they might encounter later on -- particularly since parts and accessories can become unavailable as the marketing cycle of a discontinued device grows ever more remote.

Of course, individuals on this thread might also have issues with their current batteries.

Then again, I might have lost my arms in a recent experiment in rocket-fuel-powered conveyor belt acceleration in an attempt to prevent urban escalator crowding. I might be be typing this with a nose extender made of duraluminum and cheesecloth. We have no way of ascertaining such things until someone actually mentions them in this thread.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-21-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #13
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I can understand why someone would be asking this, as I love my 950 to pieces. It is seriously a beautiful device and I love the 7 inch screen. I acquired my 950 last October/Nov and battery life is so far amazing, and I only charge about once every 3 weeks or so at 50%. I don't know what the future holds in terms of ereaders--the glowlight stuff doesn't attract me too much, although if it doesn't affect contrast at all I would think about it--but the only improvement I could think of to my 950 is wireless library book borrowing & ability to download from Sugarsync/Dropbox. PRS-plus is *amazing* and I've replaced fonts with much more readable ones, and truly I can't see future e-ink readers being much better any time soon.

My 505 lasted about 3.5 years before the battery became pretty much unusable (and by that I mean lasting maybe 1-2 days of reading), and it seemed to happen all at once at the end, although I'm sure I had to charge more frequently over time, I didn't notice the battery drain until the very end. I hope my 950 outlasts that (being charged less frequently).
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #14
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
I bought a second 950, for the inevitable battery-death of the first one. I don't see any display technologies in the next few years that will best the e-ink Pearl for reading, and I love the 7" screen.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:03 AM   #15
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Amazon now lists 3 sources for the PRS-950 battery as well as Newpower99 battery kits for other Sony PRS models that include tools and videos for replacement. Unfortunately the Newpower99 kits do not include a PRS-950 battery version.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote