Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #1
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
YotaPhone: A Fully Functional LCD/E-Ink Phone on Sale Now!

I was doing a Google search for e-ink and saw this:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/04/y...hone-hands-on/

It's not perfect (what gadget is?) but I think it's pretty cool.

It's on sale in Europe for 499 Euros. No word on when or if it'll be available in the U.S.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yota-lead-630.jpg
Views:	5227
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	116189  

Last edited by pdurrant; 12-04-2013 at 10:57 AM.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I think that ordinary displays are getting so much better, that e-ink is going to be less and less in demand for things like this. There are too many cons then there are pros for it being used with an OS like Android. I can see ghosting in that image for example.

My current phone actually has a setting so the screen can be more legible in the sunlight.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
It's cool but why did they start with a phone? I'd be very, very interested in a (6 inch screen or so) tablet/e-reader like this. Not so much for a phone.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
It's cool but why did they start with a phone? I'd be very, very interested in a (6 inch screen or so) tablet/e-reader like this. Not so much for a phone.
The screen size is small. A phablet sized device with e-ink would be cool. I can read fine on my tablet most of the time but there are times when even indoors where a glare from a light will make it harder to read. For instance, at my gym, there are big lights that can put a glare on a LCD screen. If I get on a machine near or underneath those lights, it becomes harder to read. An e-ink screen would help in that regard. However, I would only be seriously interested in a dual screen device like if it was phablet sized.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
The screen size is small. A phablet sized device with e-ink would be cool. I can read fine on my tablet most of the time but there are times when even indoors where a glare from a light will make it harder to read. For instance, at my gym, there are big lights that can put a glare on a LCD screen. If I get on a machine near or underneath those lights, it becomes harder to read. An e-ink screen would help in that regard. However, I would only be seriously interested in a dual screen device like if it was phablet sized.
I've unfortunately pretty much given up on e-ink for the time being because of general speed issues and ease of quick related research (google, wikipedia, etc.) while reading on a tablet, but my eyes really miss e-ink. I thought I'd just have to wait until the day, if ever, that there's an e-ink reader that can basically have the power to function as a tablet. I don't mind the slight pauses of the e-ink changing pages, but the processor, memory, etc. would need to be fast enough to load internet pages and book note-taking and dictionary abilities and such basically as fast as a tablet would, and consistently. But this dual-sided device looks like a plausible alternative, if the screen were the right size. I could see using the e-ink side for reading while simply flipping it over when I wanted to do a quick internet search on something I'm reading about (which I do often enough) or even to make notes and highlights on the text if the tablet side is faster. And, to boot, this would have the advantage of giving me a regular colour tablet screen to use for other things when I'm not reading.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Oh. I'd be somewhat surprised if they actually start selling it now. I remember reading somewhere (sorry no link) that it would be delayed.

Mind you: On the YotaPhone homepage it still says "Preorder/Vorbestellung" and nothing about actual delivery. Seems that they are trying to take advantage of the season and try to get some additional orders.

I guess someone copied some press release there and started a wave.

The competitors gadget, the Onyx Phone, can not be pre-ordered yet.

Last edited by beachwanderer; 12-04-2013 at 12:16 PM.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #7
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
500 Euros is way too much, even if I was in the market for such a device.
I think I'll stick with my $200 Nexus 4, thanks anyways.
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:18 AM   #8
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
I was waiting for this device for quite some time. I will wait for detailed specifications and user reviews before deciding. Wish the price was a bit lower but it doesn’t seem exorbitant by any stretch.

Last edited by din155; 12-05-2013 at 04:38 AM.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:30 AM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I'd love to have an e-ink phone. Every phone I've ever had is completely useless in bright sunlight, no matter what settings you use. So for myself, I'm glad they've started with a phone. Although it's way too pricey at this point.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:40 AM   #10
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I'd love to have an e-ink phone. Every phone I've ever had is completely useless in bright sunlight, no matter what settings you use. So for myself, I'm glad they've started with a phone. Although it's way too pricey at this point.
Cameras also, unless own ones with old single eye view finder.
I treasure two old Olympus I own.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #11
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I'm not sure it adds any new information, but for the sake of completeness here's the BBC's report on this

Phone with e-ink second screen launched
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #12
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
I wonder how long the battery charge lasts. If lasts a week on a single charge, I am interested.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:15 AM   #13
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
The CEO was kind of upfront about the price. 20 % was due to the second screen and Another 20 % due to the fact that as a small operator they can't buy components to the price that Samsung or HTC can.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #14
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
In case any if you haven't seen it yet, mobilegeeks on YouTube have a few vids if it (on my phone so can't embed them properly, sorry). The links below are the English version but they also have some labeled German/Dutch.

Unboxing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vli_...e_gdata_player

Hands on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWiP...e_gdata_player
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #15
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, OnePlus 6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, iPad Mini 2, PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post

It's on sale in Europe for 499 Euros. No word on when or if it'll be available in the U.S.
I'd define "on sale" as being something I can actually buy, not something I give someone money for and hope eventually gets made. Not disparaging the product or the company, but it ain't on sale yet.
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote