Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-29-2009, 11:42 AM   #16
joedevon
Enthusiast
joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
The programmer who can figure out how to let you give the URLs of a dozen or so blogs, and return a single ePub file
Just scanned the epub spec, doesn't look difficult.

Quote:
with the most recent entry (with comments) in each, could make a mint off it.
I don't think Google could reliably say which part of a "post" is the text only, w/ comments....they could make a good guess, but it would always be janky...but as an avid Google Reader user, I can say that there are a ton of feeds that have the full post in their RSS, so it should be pretty easy to do this based on RSS feeds minus the comments.
joedevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:33 AM   #17
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedevon View Post
I don't think Google could reliably say which part of a "post" is the text only, w/ comments....they could make a good guess, but it would always be janky...but as an avid Google Reader user, I can say that there are a ton of feeds that have the full post in their RSS, so it should be pretty easy to do this based on RSS feeds minus the comments.
Creating the ePub would be easy; it's finding the "posts" that's hard. And a lot of pre-existing RSS feeds are truncated.

"With comments" is crucial for me. Or at least, "with notification that there are, or are not, comments." The blogosphere is a social place; I don't want to download 20 interesting posts and have no idea which ones are being discussed, and which ones are just being absorbed. Some interesting LiveJournal posts will have several hundred comments.

And I'm aware that's not obvious coding; different blogs have different methods for comments. But I'd pay for a subscription to the ability to put in a dozen or so blog URLs into a list, and get back an HTML file with all of their most recent posts with comments. Potentially, to get the HTML of the posts without comments, although that's less useful to me.

(Hmm. Should contact code-happy friends and talk to them about putting together this ability.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2009, 10:37 AM   #18
joedevon
Enthusiast
joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Creating the ePub would be easy; it's finding the "posts" that's hard. And a lot of pre-existing RSS feeds are truncated.

"With comments" is crucial for me. Or at least, "with notification that there are, or are not, comments." The blogosphere is a social place; I don't want to download 20 interesting posts and have no idea which ones are being discussed, and which ones are just being absorbed. Some interesting LiveJournal posts will have several hundred comments.

And I'm aware that's not obvious coding; different blogs have different methods for comments. But I'd pay for a subscription to the ability to put in a dozen or so blog URLs into a list, and get back an HTML file with all of their most recent posts with comments. Potentially, to get the HTML of the posts without comments, although that's less useful to me.

(Hmm. Should contact code-happy friends and talk to them about putting together this ability.)
Doesn't Google Reader tell you how many comments are there?
joedevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:49 PM   #19
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedevon View Post
Doesn't Google Reader tell you how many comments are there?
Have no idea; haven't tried Google Reader. Every time I've tried to set up an RSS aggregator, I get confused and give up. Just looked again. I'm terrified of it.

It doesn't seem to have a way for me to add blogs that aren't on its short list of blog sites. Nor a simple way to just put in the URL of a blog, rather than using its search engine. And many of its RSS feeds are truncated, which makes them useless for placing into an ebook reader. (Not meaning to be whining; am commenting as I notice things. I'm trying to set up a feed to figure out how it works.)

Picked half a dozen blogs, including a couple on LJ. Mmmkay. Yes, it shows comment numbers. Now, how do I grab the feed and throw it into my PRS-505?

ETA Secondarilyy: how do I grab the *one* most recent post from each blog, rather than the several most recent from the busy blogs?

Last edited by Elfwreck; 08-31-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:40 AM   #20
sprise
sprise began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (basic), Kobo Glo
Don't plan to read the epubs "as is"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Generally speaking, the Google books are not good quality at all. OCR'd scans that haven't been proofread mostly. A lot of doubles, too.
I just downloaded Google's epub version of the first attempt to complete Dickens' The Mystery of Edwin Drood. Not only did the OCR errors jump off the screen at me immediately, but I discovered that the epub version is missing the entire last page of the story. I'm in the process of cleaning it up so that it's readable, but something tells me it would be easier (and less time-consuming) to retype it from scratch from the PDF.

It's nice to see Google branching out in the formats it offers, but the quality control part of the operation definitely needs some work.

Stephanie

Last edited by sprise; 09-02-2009 at 12:44 AM.
sprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 01:30 AM   #21
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Because this is an area that interests me, I googled "rss to epub" and came up with... a thread on MR!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26016
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:34 AM   #22
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
Because this is an area that interests me, I googled "rss to epub" and came up with... a thread on MR!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26016
Calibre recipes do the same thing, but bonus they send the latest 'recipe' content to your reader on connection. It's an excellent way to deliver RSS serial fiction to your readers.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:18 AM   #23
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprise View Post
I just downloaded Google's epub version of the first attempt to complete Dickens' The Mystery of Edwin Drood. Not only did the OCR errors jump off the screen at me immediately, but I discovered that the epub version is missing the entire last page of the story. I'm in the process of cleaning it up so that it's readable, but something tells me it would be easier (and less time-consuming) to retype it from scratch from the PDF.

It's nice to see Google branching out in the formats it offers, but the quality control part of the operation definitely needs some work.

Stephanie
FWIW, you can find Harry's excellent illustrated version of that book here on MR...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54474
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:46 AM   #24
Wario
Connoisseur
Wario began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
There one good news that UK will able to access to 1m google books via CoolerBooks.com
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #25
sprise
sprise began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (basic), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
FWIW, you can find Harry's excellent illustrated version of that book here on MR...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54474
Thanks for the link ... I've already downloaded and read the version that Harry created. The epub I snagged from Google was Thomas James' effort to complete Edwin Drood affter Dickens' death.

Stephanie
sprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #26
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
It doesn't seem to have a way for me to add blogs that aren't on its short list of blog sites. Nor a simple way to just put in the URL of a blog, rather than using its search engine.
Sure it does. Along the left side where it says "Subscriptions" there is a down arrow which when you click opens a little short cut menu. "Add a Subscription..." is a choice. Choose that an a little section opens where you can paste in the URL of a feed.

I am also able to in FireFox just click on the RSS icon in the URL/address bar when it sees feeds. That brings me right to a subscript in google reader page. I am sure I had to set that up, but I don't remember how I did it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub google publicdomain