Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-11-2020, 06:57 AM   #31
OneManRevolution
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by djazz View Post
Here are some screenshots of the new firmware on my Kobo Glo HD. I think it looks good, only thing I'm missing is page numbers when content is paginated (My Books, Authors, Series, Collections...)

I don't notice anything different in the reading view, where most time is spent anyways
Thanks for the screenshots! I am assuming it will be but do you know if it's still possible to swipe left and right on the "my books" menus to move through your book collection even if pages are no longer displayed? I don't mind having that view but I don't particularly like scrolling in these screens.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:05 AM   #32
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneManRevolution View Post
I am assuming it will be but do you know if it's still possible to swipe left and right on the "my books" menus to move through your book collection even if pages are no longer displayed? I don't mind having that view but I don't particularly like scrolling in these screens.
Yes, you can still scroll the Book list by swiping left/right or up/down. The swipe methods come with the usual risk of accidentally opening a book if you swipe too hard.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2020, 08:00 AM   #33
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't want a persistent clock. That would feel like the opposite of being able to lose yourself in a good (or even mediocre) book.
I would prefer the clock always on, maybe with nickelmenu it could be done?. I've tried the mini clock hack but couldn't get it the way I want it.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:51 AM   #34
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
Personal opinion: Clock - good, Menu - don't like it. It just... doesn't look good. I can see how it would be easier to press/access the home/my books tabs from the bottom but does it have to look like that? It also takes up an awful lot of space and makes the Books/Authors etc. pages look very crowded IMO.
For the record, I also dislike the new navigation. As you mentioned, it makes most of the views appear quite cluttered. In addition, the changes made to accommodate it either waste space (see below) or look off-balance (the library scrollbar).

The menu has resulted in even more space being wasted than I originally thought. They've also put the browser into this tiny pop-up window with quite a bit of padding. This will be fixable with NickelMenu, but you'll probably lose the address bar (I might be able to do something about that, though) ... and you'll need to add a separate home button or you won't be able to get out of it without a reboot.

And speaking of NM, I've been making good progress on updating it to work with the new navigation. I've managed to make it work by showing a custom tab to the right of "More" named "NickelMenu". This tab will show a pop-up menu when pressed with all the menu_item:main items. IMO, it actually makes the bottom nav look slightly less skewed since it makes the buttons appear more square. All that's left is testing the other actions, as even though pretty much all of them still work or can be easily updated, some of the working ones act differently with the new navigation. If everything goes as planned, I expect to release NM v0.3.2 by tomorrow night along with the patches.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:23 AM   #35
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Here are some screenshots of the new firmware on my Kobo Glo HD. I think it looks good, only thing I'm missing is page numbers when content is paginated (My Books, Authors, Series, Collections...)

I don't notice anything different in the reading view, where most time is spent anyways
Oooh! Is that a 'Developer Options' tab I see on the last photo? Is that standard now, or do you still need to search for 'devmodeon'?
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2020, 11:13 AM   #36
babygau
Enthusiast
babygau began at the beginning.

Device: kobo libra h20
tks so much @geek1011 and everyone involved for your hard working.
babygau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:47 AM   #37
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Thanks for the screenshots! I don't think it looks too bad, the space at the bottom looked a bit empty to me before. Will probably compare it a bit to the current firmware and then update once the patches are out.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:55 AM   #38
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Here's a screenshot of what I have for NickelMenu so far. I'm considering making a custom icon for it, so I'd like some opinions on it (probably in the NickelMenu thread, not here).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nm_new_8dc405f.png
Views:	493
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	181249  
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:57 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Here's a screenshot of what I have for NickelMenu so far. I'm considering making a custom icon for it, so I'd like some opinions on it (probably in the NickelMenu thread, not here).
The screenshot was not posted.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:14 PM   #40
akiyamakazumi
akiyamakazumi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura edition2, Kobo H20, Kobo Forma, kobo Clara HD
Love this update, I can easily go to library and home page and library is more easy to navigate don't need to tap tap tap tap... or show enter the page number that i never know...
akiyamakazumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:23 PM   #41
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:

The new home screen looks similar to the Nook home screen (though without wasting half the screen on store recommendations, so bonus to Kobo).

Losing (or hiding) pagination in My Books seems very stupid. I hope there's enough blowback that is replaced in the next update.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:25 PM   #42
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The new home screen looks similar to the Nook home screen (though without wasting half the screen on store recommendations, so bonus to Kobo).
Those tabs at the bottom are VERY NOOK-like.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:27 PM   #43
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I do think that with My Books being a persistent tab at the bottom, they should probably drop the 'tile' from the home screen.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:39 PM   #44
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Something interesting just happened while I was testing the browser. I haven't reproduced, so keep in mind, this might be a PEBCKAC error of some kind.

To use the web browser, I turned on Wifi, (something that I almost never do on the kobo). After the quick reminder how god awful web browsing is on an e-ink device, I closed the browser, and Pressed "Home" tab. However, instead of my home screen, I was presented with a full page ad for Kobo Plus, with a single button to "get started with Kobo Plus". Had to press Home Button on bottom again to actually go to my home screen.. (very Dark Pattern behaviour.)
rashkae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:39 PM   #45
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

I'm very curious to see how this will look in large print mode.
Have to wait until after work.

Tags
firmware, firmware release