Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
I love my nook, but...

The new Kindles look really nice! I think they really nailed the design and form factor.

The wifi only Kindle at $139.99 is now the best value in ereaders. Great new screen, smaller and lighter, and graphite color option.

I don't regret buying the nook because I like having epub support, and also seeing my covers in color (I know, superficial, but my preference).

Anyone looking for a device now should give a serious look at the Kindle.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:02 AM   #2
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I know, I have actually started thinking about a G3 Kindle. I didn't realize until tonight that they were going to be so much smaller and size was one of the reasons I didn't want a kindle.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 12:42 AM   #3
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I'm looking for a second ereader so we'd have two in the house (the wife and I can each use one), and as much as I like the Hanlin V5/V3 I started to really consider some cheaper options. I was all but going to go out and buy a Kobo but then today Amazon released this new range of 6". I'm now leaning towards waiting. It will work out cheaper to have the Kindle bought and shipped here to Australia than I can buy a Kobo (Wifi only version).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:22 PM   #4
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
The new Kindle3 Wi-Fi looks awfully tempting, especially since my wife has now indicated interest in an e-reader. One major problem with the KIndle3 though - it's most likely not compatible with epub files, which means you can't download library books. That would disqualify the Kindle3 as far as my wife and I are concerned.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:03 AM   #5
emmad
Enthusiast
emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle WiFi
sorry to anex this thread but I keep seeing comments about library books. We don't have any libraries in NZ that I'm aware of offering ebooks on loan is this common elsewhere?
emmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 12:22 AM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
It is common in the US and to a degree in Canada and the UK. Also several other countries.
Mostly it is the work of Overdrive who have spent over ten years building the infrastructure and credibility with the publishers to enable ebook lending.

http://www.overdrive.com/aboutus/get...cleID=20100105
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:49 AM   #7
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Where I am in Canada, we use overdrive for audiobooks for our library, but a different horrible service for ebooks. I can't find one ebook I would want via our library system.

I have seen people in the Kindle forum talk about converting ebooks. There must be a way, unless their system loans mobi files?
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:41 AM   #8
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
Where I am in Canada, we use overdrive for audiobooks for our library, but a different horrible service for ebooks. I can't find one ebook I would want via our library system.

I have seen people in the Kindle forum talk about converting ebooks. There must be a way, unless their system loans mobi files?
They strip the DRM, and then "erase the ebook" when they are done reading it. Don't ask me how though...
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:45 AM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
A lot of library systems do, in fact, loan out Mobi books.
There is a utility available that calculates a valid PID for a Kindle based on its serial number and they then use this PID to get loaner books that read on Kindle. No DRM-stripping required. And it reportedly still works, even with the newest firmware.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:14 PM   #10
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I don't know, I just don't see what all the ooohhhing and awwwing is all about with the new kindle. While they did improve upon it's own product, in reality there is nothing new added to the world of e-reading and e-ink itself.

They cleaned up its look, making it sleaker, which is better than it was before. I mean the Kindle 1 and 2 are rather ugly devices.

They did get rid of that stupid stubby joystick and replaced it with a directional pad. It's better but still a very outdated way to navigate.

They say the contrast is improved. Well if it's like the new DX then it's still not all that much better than the Nook and really wasn't much of a problem before.

They improved battery life. Again the Kindle didn't have battery issues before. I'm not saying around a 3-4 weeks between charges isn't nice but what, was finding time to charge after 10 days an unbearable task? I have the nook and charging after every 5-8 days does not bother me in any capacity. Again I'm not knocking the added life, of course it's a nice improvement but not one to go "OH, MYYYY" over. like our lives were hell before.

They added extra space 4G. This actually irks me. Yes an estimated 3,000 books is plenty of storage for just about anyone but the one most common "con" about the Kindle was it's lack for expandable memory. So what did they do add 2 more gigs basically saying, "this ought to shut them up' Why are these Walled Garden models so adverse to adding in a micro sd slot? Why not let the consumer dictate the amount of storage. Apple does the same. What is it about the consumer have some control that they refuse to put in a micro sd slot. What if you like to listen to music while reading or download audio books. MP3 takes up alot of space, IDK it's just irks me. Just put in a micro sd slot.

They boast faster page turning. Did not know the Kindle had slow page turning in the first place.

I just hate phoney Spec Thumping.

Also I was hoping they would hide the keyboard. It's still an eyeshore. I do understand that the ones who do take alot of notes and annotations some people prefer a physical keyboard. But let's be honest, outside of this forum. the vast majority of people are general readers and the keyboard is basically useless. I think hiding it and flipping it out ala like some the newer phones have, would have been a nice design change. For the vast majority it's useless wasted space, and to many others it's rather ugly still.

Also still NO EPUB!!! So they are basically saying "You are in the wall garden model for the long haul" Yes I know you can download into a Calibre or similiar and convert but it's extra hoops we ( Nook, Kobo, Sony) owners don't have to jump through Besides there are a vast majority of people who wouldn't know how to do it . and of course no Public library.

Also doesn't alot of these improvement seem more reactionary instead of revolutionary?
The Kindle now put a page forward and backwards on both sides and cleaning out the extra buttons giving a cleaner, sleaker look. Hmmm wasn't that one of the "pros" on the Nook's side that was an advantage. So the Kindle now has a more Nookish look.

The Nook had wi fi and the Kindle did not. And critics praised the Nook for having wi fi along with 3G and now the Kindle has wi fi.

The Nook came out with a wi fi only at a very cheap price point of $149 the Kindle comes out with a wi fi only at $139.

many of these changes seem very much a reaction to the nooks growing popularity.

So while Yes the Kindle looks better and has some improvements to it's own hardware and software, I think there are still area's it falls short compared to the Nook.

I think the color touch screen navigation and the ability to view book cover art is still a more modern and "NOW" way to use your device. The Kindle's navigation is still stuck in the 1990's. It really is. Think about it, everything is color touchscreen, your phone, your ATM, Redbox, even checking out at the Grocery store with your debit card is all color touch screen. Having EVERYTHING in only black and white is a very very outdated approach especially for a very large and cutting edge company.

InStore experience, More In Store etc. is still an extra of the Nook I love.
LendMe books
E-Pub along with library checkouts

all these still IMHO keep the Nook ahead of the Kindle.

So while it did improve on it's own device it really did nothing overall. Untill the first company to come out with a Color touch screen E-Ink display without glare and low contrast.

so again I don't understand all this drooling over the new Kindles
This all just reinventing the wheel.

this kindle isn't really all that different from the Kindle 2 though I do like the new black color option.

Last edited by boswd; 07-30-2010 at 12:44 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:04 PM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Yes the Nook has driven Amazon to make improvements and lower its price. Competition is a wonderful thing. In the long run, I end up with a less expensive e-reader that does more. That is great. How is this a bad thing? The Nook came into existence because of the success of the Kindle, which came into existence because of the success of Sony, and so on back in time. So should I not buy a Nook because it's existence was driven by the Kindle?

I think it is a matter of preference. I don't think the bar on the Nook is modern, I think it is silly and drains the battery. I could careless about seeing the cover art, I bought an ebook to read, not so I could display my books. I am going to read the book, not stare at the cover so a thumbnail, color cover is really not something I care about.

I could careless about having a touch screen on my ereader. The page turn buttons are easy to use, take no pressure, and do their job. I don't like finger prints on my cell phone, finger prints on my e-reader would drive me nuts.

There are a large number of book stores that sell Mobi books for me to put on a Kindle. I have yet to find a book that I want to read that was not available for my Kindle. Cnverting non-DRMed Epub to mobi is easy enough to do. So the lack of EPub is not that big of a deal.

Lending books? So I can lend a book once if the publishers let me for 14 days. I can lend books on my Kindle by registering a friends device to my account. As it is, I share my account with family members so we all have access to each others books.

I have not used the library for pleasure reading in a long, long time. I don't feel like I am missing much there.

I didn't need the expandable memory on my K1, I never kept that many books on my K1. I deleted books after I read them and reloaded them from Amazon if I wanted to read them again. Collections on my DXG allows me to keep all of my books on my DXG. They are sorted in a way that makes sense to me. That is awesome.

It appears to me that there are many folks with multiple e-readers. The K3 could very well be priced low enough that Nook owners end up with both. Who knows, if the new Nook comes out and is priced low enough and I decide that I want library books I might pick one up for that reason.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:08 PM   #12
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
I'm very satisfied with my Nook but I'd be happier if it had faster page turning, better contrast and longer battery life like the Kindle3.

If the Kindle3 had EPUB support I'd definitely buy it.

But since it won't, my hope is the improvements in the Kindle3 can be matched by the Nook via software or in a new version of the Nook (Nook2?).
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #13
aleccj1
Techie
aleccj1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (3G + WiFi), Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
A lot of library systems do, in fact, loan out Mobi books.
There is a utility available that calculates a valid PID for a Kindle based on its serial number and they then use this PID to get loaner books that read on Kindle. No DRM-stripping required. And it reportedly still works, even with the newest firmware.
Could you please supply a link? I would love to have library books on my Kindle.
aleccj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:12 PM   #14
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Could you please supply a link? I would love to have library books on my Kindle.
It is not allowed here on the forum.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #15
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleccj1 View Post
It should come up with a search on "Kindlefix".
carld is offline   Reply With Quote