Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-21-2011, 02:49 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
what to do when chapter headers are images ?s

I have a couple of books where the chapters headers, though marked up ok with <h tags , are just images - no text.

what do other folks do to get a workable TOC in such cases ?

I felt sure there'd be threads on this but my search said not :-(

my quick fix was to add 1 character of text e.g.. <h ....img .....>-</h which gave me visible "-" entries in the TOC and did not greatly disturb the book layout.

are there alternative / better solutions ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:24 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
If they're in <hx> tags then you can just tell Calibre to use the tag itself. Just click the magic wand next to the xpath box in structure detection and type 'hx' in the first box, where 'x' is whatever heading number the images are using.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 03:27 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
If they're in <hx> tags then you can just tell Calibre to use the tag itself. Just click the magic wand next to the xpath box in structure detection and type 'hx' in the first box, where 'x' is whatever heading number the images are using.
OK but if calibre sees no text - how does it populate the TOC panel for the calibre viewer ?
Old 02-21-2011, 07:13 AM   #4
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
I have a couple of books where the chapters headers, though marked up ok with <h tags , are just images - no text.

what do other folks do to get a workable TOC in such cases ?

I felt sure there'd be threads on this but my search said not :-(

my quick fix was to add 1 character of text e.g.. <h ....img .....>-</h which gave me visible "-" entries in the TOC and did not greatly disturb the book layout.

are there alternative / better solutions ?
As part of the hx tag, add title and then whatever text you want displayed in the toc.

For example, if the image is of some big, fancy script that says, "Big Fancy Script Chapter Header", you'd add that as your title.

<h1 class="chapterheaderclass" title="Big Fancy Script Chapter Header">

This would give you your image as that chapter header and the text within the title attribute will display in toc.

This is also useful for books where the chapter header is all caps, like "CHAPTER ONE", but you'd rather have the toc display something like "Chapter One".

I believe this is what you were asking for and I hope it helps.

Sincerely,
- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:17 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard

thanks, I was not aware of the title tag possibilities
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #6
noteon
Enthusiast
noteon is on a distinguished road

Device: Many
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.
noteon is offline   Reply With Quote