Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > BBeB/LRF Books (offline)

Notices

Old 09-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Anderson, Poul: Security. v1, 25 Sept 2008

This is a novelette by Sci-Fi great Poul Anderson.

Please post a review if you get to it before me.

Like all the books I assemble on MobileRead, this too was assembled to reflect human intervention and artistic judgment.

I hope you enjoy it.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:26 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just a thought, Don, but personally I find it better to group short stories and novellas together into anthologies. Much easier for the reader, IMHO. Do you prefer them to be separate?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2008, 07:46 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, no. I prefer an anthology.

What happened is that I did two or three - and they seemed to be of novella length, or just short of novella length (long novelette) - and then did some more and these newer ones appeared to be regular novelettes in length.

I actually find it easier to do collections, because it's less work. I've done any number of collections, even two or three massive collections. (I'm thinking Robert E. Howard here. That one, however, did take some time, because I collected every single PD story available with the exception of the Conan stories.)

It doesn't get any easier than simply copying and pasting onto what's already in BD and to watch the screen count grow and grow. I like fat omnibuses, fat collections.

As I continued to post these yesterday, my misgivings continued to grow. Now I'm wrestling with the idea of deleting all those short stories (from yesterday), and making an author omnibus as I almost always have done in the past. I'm still thinking about this.

Right now, I'm working on a PD that's NOT Sci-Fi. And then, I need to face the fact that I have 19 or 20 more volumes to do in the Presidential Papers series. Doing those takes so long, it strikes me as almost self-masturbatory.

Don
Old 09-26-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's a tough call, isn't it? As you know, I do some books in omnibus editions and others "standalone". I'm not sure that I could tell you why some are one and some the other; there are occasions on which an omnibus just "feels right" and others on which it doesn't.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:20 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don, when you paste into BD, do you know it bypasses Book Cleaner and anything you have setup in Book Cleaner may not work such as em dashes?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2008, 06:18 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Don, when you paste into BD, do you know it bypasses Book Cleaner and anything you have setup in Book Cleaner may not work such as em dashes?
No, I did not know that. (I sound like Johnny Carson .)

It's time for a confession: I have yet to use Book Cleaner - BUT I WANT TO.

If you'll walk me through it - you can PM me, if you like - or else give me a place where I can study the instructions.

I'm somewhat "slow" on some matters. I just today sucessfully (FINALLY!) removed the DRM from a lit file I got from Fictionwise.

Thanks,
Don
Old 09-26-2008, 07:23 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Since you have not been using Book Cleaner, it could very well be that your LRF editions have had the em dashes convert to plain old dashes.

That said, there's a thread on Book Cleaner on setting it up and the configuration files to use. I started this since I don't really like it when em dashes get converted to dashes.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11649

One other bit of info... when using Book Designer, do not load in text files. It seems it has a bug where it can and sometimes does split paragraphs. Convert the text file to RTF and then load it and that won't be an issue. HTML is also not an issue.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:59 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's why, Jon, before I paste an HTML file into BD, I edit it and replace em-dash by "--". Then, when it's in BD, I replace "--" by em-dash again.