Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-29-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
Question Can't click hyperlinks in EPUBs

I have a couple of EPUBs (not from KoboBooks) that have hyperlinks in them to link to things like footnotes and chapters.

However, I can't seem to click them - instead the page navigates back/forward/menu depending on which third of the screen I tap on.

Since you can change pages by left/right wipe gestures, couldn't the Kobo reader app process taps as activating the hyperlink instead of changing the page?

Is this behaviour universal among Kobo readers?
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Is this behaviour universal among Kobo readers?
In the touch, you use a press to open hyperlinks, not a click and there is a difference between short and long presses for various things. I have no idea how that translates into the Vox.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

On the Touch, a long press does follow the link, thanks

On the Vox, a long press seems only to invoke a "Select Text" popup menu...

My suggestion to Kobo would be to use swipe gestures on the Vox for page navigation, short presses to follow links, and long presses to invoke a context menu...
Old 10-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

As I recall the Kobo Touch had different rendering engines for reading kePubs (official Kobo ePubs) and ePubs. It was much more feature rich when reading kePubs as opposed to ePubs. That was annoying and the main reason I returned mine. Perhaps the Vox cannot handle links in sideloaded ePubs. Have you tried an alternative ePub app like FBReader, Aldiko, Moon+ Reader, etc.?
Old 10-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
borisb
Addict

Never thought of using another reader, lol Aldiko handles links, although I have to widen the margins to help it distinguish a page-turn-tap from a follow-the-link-tap (UPDATE: there's a Setting that restricts navigation taps to the top and bottom corners, making links easier to follow). And supports Adobe DRM to boot.
Advert