Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-14-2017, 02:56 PM   #1
SpencerCoffman
SpencerCoffman began at the beginning.

Device: ibooks
ePub TOC Missing some components

I'm having a terrible time with my TOC. I don't know what is going on or why it is happening but some of my chapters are missing. I create the ePub from a word docx file using calibre. Everything is working perfectly when I view the ePub in iBooks or in the epub viewer. In addition, the file passes ePub check and validation.

However, I'm getting errors from distributors saying that the TOC is incomplete. I went through my TOC and made sure that all of the (untitled) places were corrected. I also made sure all of my chapters and subheadings were included. Then I manually renumbered all of the play orders so they were sequential. Now, I'm still having the same issue.

Is there another place that needs to be changed or updated?

Any help is much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 1.29.39 PM.png
Views:	336
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	160009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 1.36.29 PM.png
Views:	383
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	160010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 1.36.45 PM.png
Views:	377
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	160011  
SpencerCoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:09 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerCoffman View Post
However, I'm getting errors from distributors saying that the TOC is incomplete.
You'll have to be more specific:

1. What apps were displaying TOCs with missing entries?
2. Did you get the complaints only from one ebook aggregator, e.g. SmashWords, or multiple aggregators?
3. If it's an epub3 book, didn't you make sure that the NCX contents match the NAV contents?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2017, 03:23 PM   #3
SpencerCoffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
You'll have to be more specific:

1. What apps were displaying TOCs with missing entries?
2. Did you get the complaints only from one ebook aggregator, e.g. SmashWords, or multiple aggregators?
3. If it's an epub3 book, didn't you make sure that the NCX contents match the NAV contents?
I am getting the missing complaints from Smashwords and Draft2Digital. The screenshot showing the missing chapters is from D2D.

The NCX matches the clickable table of contents.

What is the NAV? Is that another file somewhere?
Old 11-14-2017, 03:53 PM   #4
SpencerCoffman

I think I may have it figured out. I noticed that in the call for the chapters that the #IDxxxx was not following the .html

This is hopefully the problem.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:19 PM   #5
SpencerCoffman

Quote:
I think I may have it figured out. I noticed that in the call for the chapters that the #IDxxxx was not following the .html

This is hopefully the problem.
This didn't solve the problem. Now I'm at a loss of what to do.
Advert
Old 11-14-2017, 04:46 PM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
This didn't solve the problem. Now I'm at a loss of what to do.
If your book has an inline HTML TOC and an NCX TOC, the chapters might be missing in the HTML TOC.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:53 PM   #7
SpencerCoffman

I solved the problem by using the calibre TOC generator. I went to tools and edit TOC. Then I removed all of the items and recreated a TOC based on all of the headings. After that, I made sure everything was there and removed anything that wasn't supposed to be there.

Tags
epub toc, table of contents, toc error