Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-21-2014, 02:13 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question joining usa libraries from outside of USA ?

is this still possible?
I found some info on this forum for joining free library of philadelphia but it is a 2011 thread & points to a 2011 blog at the library site ?

I am looking to join something that has a larger selection than my local UK library, I don't mind an annual fee.

there are some authors where I'd like to re-read their full series, in order, & not the poor quality scanned version from dodgy sites: e.g. Laurel K Hamilton, Ian Rankin..

can't get these as e-books from UK libraries & there are too many to buy them all...
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:46 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Yes, it is. Free Library of Filadelfia (50 $ yearly, 6 checkout) and Brooking Public Library (50$ yearly, 10 checkout overdrive, 10 checkout 3M). I think Orange County in Florida too, but it is 125$
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2014, 04:33 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks- is the any up to date information on how to apply / how to pay ?
I found the pdf application form on P. library site but nothing about what to do if you are not in USA. So I have sent it to the email address in the 2011 thread...
Old 01-21-2014, 05:10 AM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know. I think the instructions are still OK (I've renewed them this year). At both of them you can pay by credit card.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:04 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard

brooking library ? - google does not find one - find this as closest match - is this the one you mean ?

http://www.brookingslibrary.org/ services don't match your description though ?
Advert
Old 01-21-2014, 06:16 AM   #6
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Probably Brooklyn Public library. They have very detailed instructions on how to join for non-residents and respond quickly to emails.
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:34 AM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, Brooklyn. Sorry, writing from phone.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:14 AM   #8
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 2
cybmole, I'm following your thread with interest as I tried to work my way through this a few years back when I had a Sony and it was a real quagmire. Thanks for asking the question. this has been clunky in the UK, when I asked at Brighton pub lib about two years ago they looked at me as if I was bananas. eBooks yes, but on a computer via an app.
Be curious to know if you can get it to work. What device are you using?

I'm Kindling so it makes things even more complex.
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:41 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard

with the newer Sony's ( t2, T3 ) you can borrow books from UK library direct to your device - though trying to navigate the library web sites via the reader browser is so fiddly you are better off doing it on PC!
but you go (jsut once only) to the library app on the reader, type in your location & it finds your local library web site + the reader browser will store your library card number & PIN. I tested with T2, I don't have a T1. it found Gloucestershire, England no problem.

I reverted to using PC + sony reader software & side loading, for ease of navigation but another method is to use PC up the point where you have the book(s) at checkout ready to download, then switch to the reader browser for that last step. I think I tested that you can return a library book directly from the T2 / T3, also.

I am in Glos. UK, & having compared some other UK libraries I seem to have a better than average selection on offer, ( 3,383 ebook fiction entires in catalogue) but nowhere near as large as the USA ones.. I was checking other UK libraries where we have relatives, but Croydon, Birmingham, Lewisham e-book collections were much smaller. All the UK libraries need to see ID, in-person, so the only way to use another library would be if a friend or relative with a qualifying address were willing to get a card & then let you use it. They all use the overdrive interface & their e-book lending pages have identical menus etc.

if you look at the overdrive web site they now claim to have apps for android, i-pad.., kindle fire, nook . all sort of gadgets... so you can loan an audio book directly onto your smart phone or tablet.
http://omc.overdrive.com/v3-available-now/ios.php

there is no way to borow mobi / AZW kindle format books in the UK though, except for a VERY limited offer for amazon prime customers
Back to brooklyn.
I found the out of state application form but it is designed only for USA addresses, so I have emailed them for more help...
https://bpl.brooklynpubliclibrary.or...ref=outofstate

Last edited by cybmole; 01-21-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:24 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
if you look at the overdrive web site they now claim to have apps for android, i-pad.., kindle fire, nook . all sort of gadgets... so you can loan an audio book directly onto your smart phone or tablet.
http://omc.overdrive.com/v3-available-now/ios.php
They do have the apps and they work quite well, but with one major drawback. You can only borrow MP3 audiobooks using the app and most of the audiobooks are in WMA format. Borrowing WMA audiobooks requires a Windows PC and sideloading to a compatible audio player; which generally means a no-go for Android devices. iDevices are compatible, if the publisher allows it. If WMA is allowed, it takes much longer to download it to your computer because of the conversion process.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 01-21-2014 at 08:48 AM. Reason: corrected statement about borrowing for iDevices
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #11
cybmole
Wizard

scratch brooklyn:
"Greetings from Brooklyn Public Library, Thank you for your interest in obtaining a Brooklyn Public Library Card. We currently do not accept international requests but are looking to begin doing so in the near future"
Old 01-21-2014, 11:13 AM   #12
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
That's new. Orange should work, if there is enough books which interest you to justify the cost.
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:04 PM   #13
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
scratch brooklyn:
"Greetings from Brooklyn Public Library, Thank you for your interest in obtaining a Brooklyn Public Library Card. We currently do not accept international requests but are looking to begin doing so in the near future"
That's unfortunate. Do you have any family or friends in the US to help you with this?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:17 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by danicca View Post
That's new. Orange should work, if there is enough books which interest you to justify the cost.
Quote:
Fee Cards

Fee cards are available to anyone residing outside of our service area. Fee card privileges include:
  • Access to our circulating material on the shelf
  • Remote access to databases
  • Ability to take free technology classes in person or online
  • Access to computer use in any of our locations
  • Ability to place holds on ebooks (not physical items)
  • Reserve a meeting room or Main Library study room
Fee cards are non-refundable and are available for 3 months ($75), 6 months ($100) or for one year ($125).
Where does it say that fee cards have access to ebooks?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:31 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Quote:
Fee Cards

Fee cards are available to anyone residing outside of our service area. Fee card privileges include:
  • Access to our circulating material on the shelf
  • Remote access to databases
  • Ability to take free technology classes in person or online
  • Access to computer use in any of our locations
  • Ability to place holds on ebooks (not physical items)
  • Reserve a meeting room or Main Library study room

Fee cards are non-refundable and are available for 3 months ($75), 6 months ($100) or for one year ($125).
Where does it say that fee cards have access to ebooks?
The answer to your question is... in your question. I assume holds are not much use unless you can check them out once you've reserved them?

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-21-2014 at 04:36 PM. Reason: added ellipsis for ironic effect :D
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote