Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-14-2013, 04:50 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question sigil evolution to one instance with multiple tabs ?

I think it is agreed that sigil 7.1 is slower to open than old versions.

I make it about 5 seconds on my fast-ish PC - for program only, no book file.

could we see an evolution to having each book in its own tab within sigil, & only one instance of sigil running - that way it could be "closed" to taskbar when not needed ( same as with calibre) but would actually be still memory resident.
selecting a an epub would just open a new tab in that same instance.

or are there fundamental reasons why this will not ever happen ?

alternatively, have a single instance only preference setting - right now if I open & minimise sigil & then open an epub, a new instance of sigil is launched so there are 2 running. In single instance mode the program would load the newly opened file after first prompting to save existing work, if applicable. VLC player for example works like this.

Last edited by cybmole; 04-14-2013 at 04:53 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
5 seconds?

How about 25 seconds before I see a glimmer that Sigil has started on my P4 w/XP ? I saw less than 5 seconds difference launching from the book or starting Sigil from the EXE.

I already run with a 'tamed' A/V setting
BTW Calibre starts faster, but not by much.

1 Book per Tab? Some of the books I edit have 100 tabs (Tab per chapter. Not all open at once ) Sometimes I put the second instance on the second widescreen, with the previous (in series) book showing, when I am trying to match L&F (No OSFA styling used here )

I was just thinking that it would be nice (I know it can be done the tedious way) to have an Add Files: Borrow Steal from: <EPUB name> (sorry Cybe, I came up with this before I read your thread )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i think we are using "tab" to mean different things.

I mean tab as used by MSword, IE etc, so if I want to work on 3 books in sigil I would have 3 top level tabs - below that there would be the chapters, toc , stylesheets etc for each book within each of the 3 tabs, but I'd have only one instance of Sigil running , not 3.

is there some technical reason why sigil.exe takes 5 - 25 secs to launch yet bloatware like MSword will launch instantly.
I suppose I could try placing sigil & its components onto a create-at-startup RAM disc but that would be very geeky & I am not sure how to go about it in Windows 7

what would suit be it to have sigil re-use itself so if i double click a book in calibre it loads into the already running instance of sigil ( assuming there is one in memory), rather than spends time launching a brand new process. I Know I can go to sigil file open but then it takes even more seconds to manually navigate thru calibre,s black-book database to the epub that I want to edit.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post

I mean tab as used by MSword, IE etc, so if I want to work on 3 books in sigil I would have 3 top level tabs - below that there would be the chapters, toc , stylesheets etc for each book within each of the 3 tabs, but I'd have only one instance of Sigil running , not 3.

is there some technical reason why sigil.exe takes 5 - 25 secs to launch yet bloatware like MSword will launch instantly.
I suppose I could try placing sigil & its components onto a create-at-startup RAM disc but that would be very geeky & I am not sure how to go about it in Windows 7

what would suit be it to have sigil re-use itself so if i double click a book in calibre it loads into the already running instance of sigil ( assuming there is one in memory), rather than spends time launching a brand new process. I Know I can go to sigil file open but then it takes even more seconds to manually navigate thru calibre,s black-book database to the epub that I want to edit.
I use the Tabs in Firefox all the time: MR is usually on one of them

I am guessing that you like to edit a large, Monolithic file as a book.
I prefer to work with a book of Chapter files. Different strokes.

I agree, reusing a in memory 'core' , similar to what Libre Office and others do, might help for frequent use users.
For Now, having an immediate 'Splash' appear to prove that 'Sigil has Launched' would be nice
Old 04-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

I am guessing that you like to edit a large, Monolithic file as a book.
no I think I am wanting nested tabs - so may be more complicated than I first thought

maybe better to focus on having a single instance preference

http://superuser.com/questions/31654...ingle-instance

ps I looked at my sigil program folder & there are almost 60,000 files in there - no wonder it takes a while to load

why so many ?
Advert
Old 04-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
... ps I looked at my sigil program folder & there are almost 60,000 files in there - no wonder it takes a while to load

why so many ?
My Sigil directory has only 124 files in it between all sub-directories on WinXP, and Documents & Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\sigil-ebook\sigil\ has another 4 files. Maybe you checked the wrong directory? Or something is horribly wrong with your installation.

Sigil takes about 6-7 seconds to open up with an ebook for me, I always right click the book I'm going to edit and choose open with Sigil, and I don't find that a long wait at all. I also prefer no splash screen, they just tend to make the wait longer, I always shut them off when there's an option for it.

I never work on more than one book at a time, so while I use tabs in a lot of programs, I wouldn't in Sigil. I occasionally open up a 2nd book just to see what the exact code was for some specific formatting, but I never leave it open very long.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 04-14-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
no I think I am wanting nested tabs - so may be more complicated than I first thought

maybe better to focus on having a single instance preference

ps I looked at my sigil program folder & there are almost 60,000 files in there - no wonder it takes a while to load

why so many ?
Something is horribly wrong
Program Files\Sigil has 38 objects 10 of those are folders that contain other files (some as little as 1)

Now, your Temp ,scratchpad folder area can grow if you ABEND Sigil.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
... maybe better to focus on having a single instance preference

Don't all Windows versions have the ability to group multiple tasks through the Start Menu? Right click the Start button, select Properties, on the Taskbar tab, check "Group similar taskbar buttons." Maybe that will do for you?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Don't all Windows versions have the ability to group multiple tasks through the Start Menu? Right click the Start button, select Properties, on the Taskbar tab, check "Group similar taskbar buttons." Maybe that will do for you?
Yes! But typical of Windows , it does not always happen.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
that just alters taskbar look & feel - it has no impact on time to open sigil or on multiple instances opening. A coding change withing sigil would be needed to force single-instance running.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:

is there some technical reason why sigil.exe takes 5 - 25 secs to launch yet bloatware like MSword will launch instantly...
I cannot comment on Sigil 7.1 as I never installed it but 7.2 opens instantly for me (early approx. 3.15GHz CPU, Win 8). For my own usage, I agree with the comments that tabbing books in a single instance (window) of Sigil would lead to tab overload.

Mentioning IE is not a good idea as IE opens a separate iexplore.exe process for each tab . So if the same was applied to Sigil for tabbing each book then one would still be running a separate sigil.exe process for each book and presumably you would have the delay that you now do each time you opened another book.

MSWord, since at least 2007, has not had tabs. But the use of it as an example is fair. MSWord opens one winword.exe process regardless of the number of documents opened or separate views of the same document (that is almost always so, sometimes it doesn't happen that way but I don't know if that is due to errors or due to coding simplifications for handling certain situations). Each document opened or view of an existing document appears as a separate instance running in its own parent window complete with all menus, ribbon, etc. That is, it appears as if another new winword.exe process has started, and all in its own new parent window.

So, if looking in Task Manager one will see in the Details tab one winword.exe process, and under the Processes tab one will see Microsoft Office Word and indented under that a separate instance for each document and view e.g. for the case of 3 documents open and one of those documents having 1 view open, one having 2 views open and another having 3 views open, the indents will appear as follows

Document 1.1
Document 1.2
Document 2
Document 3.1
Document 3.2
Document 3.3

Now that was not all said for the purpose of being pedantic, but because it leads to if Sigil were to work in that way as MSWord does (each instance, whether that be a new book or separate view of an already open book, opens in a new Window appearing as if a new process has started) then I think that for me that would be a pretty neat solution.

This at the users display would look just like Sigil does now when a new book is opened (or another view of that same book if one runs another sigil.exe process as one now has to to do so) but only one sigil.exe process would be running.

But I suspect it may not be very simple to achieve (however, I am no programmer). And the next best thing is for it would be as it now is i.e. a separate sigil.exe process seems to run for each book and any speed issues (which for myself have never experienced) in starting each process be looked at, whether the issue is at the users end or within the application.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 04-14-2013 at 07:07 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I honestly don't see what the advantage would be. Sigil doesn't take a long time to load ... epubs do.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #13
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
I think it is agreed that sigil 7.1 is slower to open than old versions.

I make it about 5 seconds on my fast-ish PC - for program only, no book file.
No difference for me, time to open program only:
Sigil 0.7.1 -- 3.5 sec
Sigil 0.6.2 -- 3.5 sec
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:21 AM   #14
cybmole
Wizard

about the number of files - this is embarrassing - a recheck of the folder give 117 files not 60,000 . I must have mistakenly counted the entire program files folder - duh!

i will try 7.2 for launch speed.

i usually take the p**s out of posters wanting to save 3.5 secs & tell them to get a life, but it bugs me that there is no simple way to make the whole program stay in memory. With calibre, for example, I never close it except for updates, it just hides in task bar & is instantly available.