Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 07-20-2019, 03:20 PM   #1
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Question Dictionnaries and annotations in CoolReader

On my PB632, I'm using CoolReader which works really well (better than Koreader, that I*tested last year on another PB device and which was crashing all the time).

But there are two things I*don't understand and which don't seem to work:

1. Dictionnaries. I don't know how to select a word to look it up in the dict but, anyway, accessing the dictionnary return an error.

2. Annotation. I*would like to be able to highlight some parts of a book but I*don't understand how it works on CoolReader. (and how to access those annotations later).
ploum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:01 PM   #2
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 4
You need an external dictionary as CR cannot access the built-in dictionaries. There is a thread here on Mobileread for PB dictionaries.

Then you have to assign all tap zones for long tap to opening the dictionary.

Highlights are called citations in CR. I have a tap zone assigned to opening the citation menu. When I tap this, some buttons appear on the screen and you have to use these and the physical buttons of the device to select paragraphs and sentences. These are saved in a text file in a folder for CR notes.
It's a but tricky to figure out the system, but I can't explain it in detail at the moment.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2019, 04:12 PM   #3
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Thanks. Will try to find the thread about dictionary on CoolReader (if you ever have a link, it will be welcome).

For citations, I*think I've figured out how to select a paragraph but I*don't know how to save it (also, I*don't know what those buttons mean nor how to escape from the annotation buttons and get back to normal reading).

Thanks a lot for your time !
Old 07-21-2019, 01:29 AM   #4
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's the translation of my description from a German forum:

* How to save highlights with Coolreader (works only on devices with buttons!):

* Coolreader has a "cite selection dialog". When activated, either via the Coolreader main menu or a Tapzone, 7 icons appear at the bottom of the screen:
* a tick = confirm selection
* A = select paragraph
* A + = add paragraph
* A- = deselect paragraph
* C + = add sentence
* C- = deselect sentence
* X = cancel selection

* If the selection dialog is activated, the A is initially active. You can select a paragraph by using the arrow keys to navigate down and up. This paragraph will then be marked. Attention: "arrow back" selects the next paragraph, "arrow forward" the previous paragraph.

* With A + and pressing the corresponding arrow key you can add the previous or following paragraph to your selection, with A- deselect a selected paragraph again. Since the assignment of the arrow keys works contrary to the intuition here, it probably takes some patience the first few times to understand the selection and to reach the desired selection.
* A + and back arrow = the following paragraph is selected
* A + and forward arrow = previous paragraph is selected
* A- and arrow back = previous paragraph is deselected
* A- and arrow forward = the following paragraph is deselected

* If you want to mark only one sentence or several sentences instead of an entire paragraph, you can work with the fields C + and C-. Since an entire paragraph is marked at the beginning, you first select C- and press the arrow keys to deselect the sentences at the beginning or at the end of the paragraph.
* C + and arrow back = sentence at the end is selected
* C + and forward arrow = sentence at the beginning is selected
* C- and arrow back = sentence at the beginning is deselected
* C- and arrow forward = sentence at the end is deselected

* If you have selected the desired passage, activate the check mark and press one of the arrow keys. This closes the selection dialog and the selected text is saved in a text file in the folder "cr3_notes" in the main directory of the device.
* To cancel the selection dialog, activate the cross and also press one of the arrow keys.

* The marking of the sections also depends on the formatting of the ebook. Sometimes it does not run from sentence to sentence, but interprets other punctuation marks or formatting, such as italics or bold as the endpoint. In addition, there are some poorly-formatted ebooks in which the marked paragraph jumps to a very different passage after pressing an arrow key. The marking of a specific passage is then not always possible.

* Despite these limitations and the somewhat tricky operation, the function is very useful as the text passages can all be stored together in a text file with the book title, chapter and percentage (location in the book) and can be exported to the PC.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:24 AM   #5
ploum
Zealot

Thanks a lot, it's a lot clearer now. I guess it's only a question of habit (it's disturbing that the arrows are somewhat "inverted").

I found out in the CR*thread that you updated the 631fw5 skin so I*can now see the button in citation mode :-)

I*like the fact that it's all saved in a plain text. Really useluf.

Thanks a lot for taking the time, your post should be a post of reference for that :-)
Advert
Old 07-21-2019, 02:50 PM   #6
LucyOne
Librocubicularist

You're very welcome! I know it took me a lot of fiddling to figure this out.