Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2019, 07:00 AM   #1
rp272
Junior Member
rp272 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 9
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2011
Device: kindle
All-New Kindle 10th Generation

My partner's Nook Glowlight has just 'died'. She is looking at the basic Kindle. Does this work with Calibre? Currently using version 3.45.1. I have tried searching for the answer but could not find anything definitive. She does not want to buy one and then find she cannot upload her books.
Please can anyone advise.
rp272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:25 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
pdurrant's Avatar
 
Posts: 58,411
Karma: 221692529
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Norfolk, England
Device: Kindle Voyage
The latest basic Kindle has been out for months. I'm certain that 3.45.1 (release a week or two ago) supports it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2019, 05:29 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
rcentros's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,194
Karma: 21760276
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Boise, ID
Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp272 View Post
My partner's Nook Glowlight has just 'died'. She is looking at the basic Kindle. Does this work with Calibre? Currently using version 3.45.1. I have tried searching for the answer but could not find anything definitive. She does not want to buy one and then find she cannot upload her books.
I'm sure Calibre works with the new Basic Kindle (10th generation) because Kovid Goyal updates Calibre (seemingly) constantly. We're incredibly lucky that he does this. As for uploading books (if bought on Amazon) ... just be aware that the newer Kindles require another De-DRM plugin for (I think it's) the KFX format. Normally I upload books to Calibre I've downloaded to my old (non-touch) Kindle Basic. I don't have it here in Idaho (it's still in Texas) and I wanted to upload a new book. But my new Basic (8th generation) uses the new format — so I had to download to USB for my old Kindle Basic. And that worked fine. I do think there is a KFX plugin (hope "KFX" is right) that allows you to do this directly, but it probably doesn't work in Linux. (I haven't really looked into it.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:30 PM   #4
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 2,253
Karma: 35799999
Join Date: Apr 2011
Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm sure Calibre works with the new Basic Kindle (10th generation) because Kovid Goyal updates Calibre (seemingly) constantly. We're incredibly lucky that he does this. As for uploading books (if bought on Amazon) ... just be aware that the newer Kindles require another De-DRM plugin for (I think it's) the KFX format. Normally I upload books to Calibre I've downloaded to my old (non-touch) Kindle Basic. I don't have it here in Idaho (it's still in Texas) and I wanted to upload a new book. But my new Basic (8th generation) uses the new format — so I had to download to USB for my old Kindle Basic. And that worked fine. I do think there is a KFX plugin (hope "KFX" is right) that allows you to do this directly, but it probably doesn't work in Linux. (I haven't really looked into it.)
A KFX book is not a single file, so it is only delivered over wifi or cellular. Even if your device supports KFX, when you download for transfer over USB, you will get a file with an azw3 extension (KF8), which the Calibre plugin handles just fine in linux. If your device does not support KF8, you will get an azw or mobi file (KF7). KF8 supports font bolding and other nice features, so you might consider it worthwhile the specify your new device as the target for download.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:54 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
ilovejedd's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,131
Karma: 11900000
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: in the middle of nowhere
Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
As for uploading books (if bought on Amazon) ... just be aware that the newer Kindles require another De-DRM plugin for (I think it's) the KFX format. Normally I upload books to Calibre I've downloaded to my old (non-touch) Kindle Basic. I don't have it here in Idaho (it's still in Texas) and I wanted to upload a new book. But my new Basic (8th generation) uses the new format — so I had to download to USB for my old Kindle Basic. And that worked fine. I do think there is a KFX plugin (hope "KFX" is right) that allows you to do this directly, but it probably doesn't work in Linux. (I haven't really looked into it.)
Actually, the Kindle 10th gen (lowest firmware 5.11.0) has new DRM that hasn't been broken yet. Books downloaded directly to the device via wifi cannot be disinfected at all at this time even with the KFX Input plugin installed. Download & transfer via USB (azw or azw3 format) method still works, though.

Sending books from Calibre to the Kindle 10th gen works just fine (I think Kovid added support for it day 1 or 2).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2019, 12:42 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
rcentros's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,194
Karma: 21760276
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Boise, ID
Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
A KFX book is not a single file, so it is only delivered over wifi or cellular. Even if your device supports KFX, when you download for transfer over USB, you will get a file with an azw3 extension (KF8), which the Calibre plugin handles just fine in linux. If your device does not support KF8, you will get an azw or mobi file (KF7). KF8 supports font bolding and other nice features, so you might consider it worthwhile the specify your new device as the target for download.
Ah, good to know. Was completely clueless about this. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Actually, the Kindle 10th gen (lowest firmware 5.11.0) has new DRM that hasn't been broken yet. Books downloaded directly to the device via wifi cannot be disinfected at all at this time even with the KFX Input plugin installed. Download & transfer via USB (azw or azw3 format) method still works, though.
Didn't know this either. Does this ONLY effect the 10th generation Basic? If so, I guess it's probably coming to all newer Kindles eventually?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:13 AM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
ilovejedd's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,131
Karma: 11900000
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: in the middle of nowhere
Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Didn't know this either. Does this ONLY effect the 10th generation Basic? If so, I guess it's probably coming to all newer Kindles eventually?
That's been the case since firmware update 5.10.2.

I'm keeping my PW4 on 5.10.1.3 until the latest DRM is cracked.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:31 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
rcentros's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,194
Karma: 21760276
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Boise, ID
Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
That's been the case since firmware update 5.10.2.

I'm keeping my PW4 on 5.10.1.3 until the latest DRM is cracked.
I've been skimming the forums for a while. I guess I missed that. Too late for me on not going beyond 5.10.1.3.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:35 PM   #9
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
shalym's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,374
Karma: 23456780
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New England
Device: KPW 1, 2, and 3, Voyage, Oasis 2, Kindle Fire, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Lynx
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I've been skimming the forums for a while. I guess I missed that. Too late for me on not going beyond 5.10.1.3.
But none of that matters, because you can just download the book from your My Content and Devices page on Amazon, and you'll get a file that can be disinfected with ease. You don't need to worry about what firmware version your Kindle has if all you're worried about is disinfection.

Shari
shalym is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jailbreak for Kindle 2019 10th Generation (not Paperwhite)? jhh Kindle Developer's Corner 17 06-18-2019 09:36 AM
PW4 All New Paperwhite (10th Generation) Teardown SKK Kindle Developer's Corner 36 06-09-2019 07:35 PM
Kindle Paperwhite 10th Generation Software Update 5.11.1 Tuneraider Amazon Kindle 28 04-26-2019 03:26 AM
$99.99 sale - Latest Paperwhite (10th generation, 2018 release) DreamWriter Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links) 28 12-22-2018 12:11 PM
10th anniversary Kindle? pata General Discussions 9 02-28-2017 04:02 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:18 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.