Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-01-2019, 06:28 AM   #1
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Zorro, by Johnston McCulley

I tried to get the books which I believe to be in public domain. Gutenberg has only two books by the author, and mobileread doesn't have a single book by McCulley. Can someone point me to a legally free upload?
Luffy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:46 AM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The Curse of Capistrano, the title under which The Mark of Zorro was first serialized, is in the public domain in the US and Life+50 countries (including Mauritius). It can be found in a few places under its original name; here's a link to Feedbooks:

http://m.feedbooks.com/book/3840/the...-mark-of-zorro

I loved it.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2019, 07:43 AM   #3
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you so much!! If you liked the book, I'll enjoy it on some level
Old 07-01-2019, 10:48 AM   #4
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I read the first page. It looks very well written and fun. Thanks!
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:20 AM   #5
RobertLCollins
Groupie
RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
I read it a few years back and enjoyed it as well.
RobertLCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2019, 04:04 PM   #6
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
1949 is the most recent death year for life+70 (or is it 1948?). Johnston McCulley died in 1958.

There are several stories or books by Charles L. Fontenay (1917 - 2017) on Project Gutenberg. Similarly for Randall Garrett (1927 - 1987).

Why are some author's books in the public domain when they died after the life+70 cutoff year?
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:08 PM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
1949 is the most recent death year for life+70 (or is it 1948?). Johnston McCulley died in 1958.

There are several stories or books by Charles L. Fontenay (1917 - 2017) on Project Gutenberg. Similarly for Randall Garrett (1927 - 1987).

Why are some author's books in the public domain when they died after the life+70 cutoff year?
The US is not a Life+70 country.

1948 is the most recent death year for Life+70.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:12 PM   #8
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Wikipedia is of course a good place to check for Info.

I just had a look at Roy Glashan's Library, where I distinctly remember getting some stories by Johnston McCulley, but none are being returned as available now. I know AUS did change its period for Public Domain a few years back, which is probably the reason, though I thought that only impacted yet to be provided ebooks, not those that had already been in the Public Domain. Pretty sure I have several by Johnston McCulley, including some Zorro, which I grabbed when they were.

The Vintage Library lists the Zorro stories, that were published in the Pulps, which were the source for the novels I seem to recall.

Having a look elsewhere, it seems that what was once available for free is no longer ... aside from the couple of his detective stories, at the main Gutenberg Project website and some affiliates. Maybe they were wrongfully provided or removed by request.

As suggested by Issy, feedbooks has some for purchase.

Another perhaps controversial alternative, is the scans at the Internet Archive.

I haven't looked beyond those.

I loved the Guy Williams starred Zorro TV series, as a kid. Yet to read any.

Last edited by Timboli; 08-25-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:45 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
A few of the Megapack series has some Johnston McCulley short stories in them, both Westerns and Mysteries.

Altus Press has 3 or 4 nice titles available as ebooks (and maybe even in trade paperback).

Although, I see you want legal AND free. Unfortunately, the ones above are not free.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-26-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:13 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Here's one that's FREE right now:

https://www.amazon.com/SHADOW-JUSTIC...gateway&sr=8-2

There are other authors involved in this ebook.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:47 PM   #11
Luffy
Wizard

Thank you all for the help. I really like the author's style. If only I could get all the Zorro titles in one package, I would pay for it.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:28 PM   #12
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Thank you all for the help. I really like the author's style. If only I could get all the Zorro titles in one package, I would pay for it.
Not all the Zorro titles but if you want more by him this place has some. The ones in blue are clickable, the ones in red I think are in progress. On the left are links for the epub.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Author:Johnston_McCulley
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:35 AM   #13
Luffy
Wizard

Very nice indeed, Sir lumpynose. I already have the Zorro story, but I'm curious about the rest.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:39 PM   #14
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Australia is L+70, and McCulley died in 1958. However, there was no backdating of the change from L+50 to L+70, and all authors who died before 1 Jan 1955 remained PD. As you can see, McCulley did't come into Australian PD ever. NZ and Canada, yes.

The way it worked, the year after the change, we became effectively an L+51, next year L+52 and so on until in 2019 we are effectively L+65. In 2025 the gap closes.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote