Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-11-2019, 08:35 AM   #16
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
You apparently failed to notice the big bold warning that you needed to run a FW <= the factory image.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:52 AM   #17
DeKuns
Connoisseur
DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
You apparently failed to notice the big bold warning that you needed to run a FW <= the factory image.
Thanks NiLuje! It is clear now for me that Amazon-Warehouse deal on KT4 is a lottery. If I got FW 5.11, then I am the winner. If I got FW > 5.11, then almost certain I am the loser.
DeKuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2019, 12:50 PM   #18
iaTa
iaTa began at the beginning.

Device: KT4
I installed the 5.11 factory FW on my KT4, jailbreak went fine (I have the 'You are Jailbroken' document) but the JB Hotfix (JailBreak-1.15.N-FW-5.x-hotfix) always causes the "Update error - Invalid update file" message.

I've tried running through the steps a few times all with the same result.

Any ideas?

Last edited by iaTa; 06-15-2019 at 12:55 PM.
iaTa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 02:49 PM   #19
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you find your S/N prefix in the wiki page?
Old 06-15-2019, 03:06 PM   #20
knc1
99.44/100% On Holiday
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaTa View Post
I installed the 5.11 factory FW on my KT4, jailbreak went fine (I have the 'You are Jailbroken' document) but the JB Hotfix (JailBreak-1.15.N-FW-5.x-hotfix) always causes the "Update error - Invalid update file" message.

I've tried running through the steps a few times all with the same result.

Any ideas?
That is not the complete filename.
Please show the extension(s) used when the package is placed at the top level of USB storage.

Why?
Because various PC systems can/could be making unexpected changes to the extension(s).
Just enable "hidden extensions" (or whatever your system uses) and post what is being used.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2019, 03:15 PM   #21
iaTa

I didn't state the file extension as I was just highlighting that I was using the latest version of the hotfix.

Firmware: update_kt4_5.11.0_factory.bin
JB: Merchant.zip from kindle-jb-factory-1.3-r15992.tar.xz
JB Hotfix: Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.15.N_install.bin
Old 06-15-2019, 03:35 PM   #22
iaTa

Quote:
Did you find your S/N prefix in the wiki page?
Yes G090WH.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:50 PM   #23
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Then, yeah, you're definitely doing something wrong somewhere. Try with fresh downloads and double check your unarchiver isn't doing anything untoward to the archives...
Old 06-15-2019, 04:47 PM   #24
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Then, yeah, you're definitely doing something wrong somewhere. Try with fresh downloads and double check your unarchiver isn't doing anything untoward to the archives...
I was looking at the Kindle Tool commits. Just wondering, does it matter if the 0WH variant is identified as unknown? Copy/pasting using iPad so a bit borked.

Code:
if (kt_with_unknown_devcodes) {
	info.devices[info.num_devices++] = KindleBasic3Unknown_0WF;
	info.devices[info.num_devices++] = KindleBasic3Unknown_0WG;
	info.devices[info.num_devices++] = KindleBasic3Unknown_0WH;

case KindleBasic3Unknown_0WH:
	return "Kindle Basic 3 (2019) (Unknown Variant 0WH)";
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:34 PM   #25
iaTa

I just redownloaded all the files and extracted using latest 7-zip instead of latest WinRAR.

Then:
  1. Reset
  2. Installed update_kt4_5.11.0_factory.bin
  3. Ran jailbreak and got the 'You are Jailbroken' document
  4. Copied Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.15.N_install.bin

Received same update error.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:47 PM   #26
knc1
99.44/100% On Holiday
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I just redownloaded all the files and extracted using latest 7-zip instead of latest WinRAR.

Then:
  1. Reset
  2. Installed update_kt4_5.11.0_factory.bin
  3. Ran jailbreak and got the 'You are Jailbroken' document
  4. Copied Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.15.N_install.bin

Received same update error.
How are you performing the update?

1) Place the "hotfix" package at the topmost, visible level, of USB storage.
2) Remove USB cable.

Followed by:
3a) Install the update using UYK (Update Your Kindle on settings menu).
OR
3b) Use the power button with a "long press" until you get it to reboot.
Some Kindle model/firmware combinations have a "Pop-up panel" that allows you to select "reboot" after the power button long press.

DO NOT use the "Reset" option.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:27 PM   #27
iaTa

1, 2 and 3a.

Why should I not be using the reset option - I wanted to start from square one with the re-downloaded and extracted files?
Old 06-16-2019, 04:12 AM   #28
Giangiui
Giangiui began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Hi. I have the PW3 with 5.11.1 firmware.
This jailbreak method works with my device? Thanks.
Giangiui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:23 AM   #29
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giangiui View Post
Hi. I have the PW3 with 5.11.1 firmware.
This jailbreak method works with my device? Thanks.
No. This thread is only for the KT4, the most recent basic kindle.

You should be reading the first post in the thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320564
where you would learn the highest breakable PW3 firmware is 5.9.6.1

Your only option is to open the case and use the serial port method.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:03 AM   #30
knc1
99.44/100% On Holiday

Quote:
1, 2 and 3a.

Why should I not be using the reset option - I wanted to start from square one with the re-downloaded and extracted files?
Why in the world would you want to do that?
Stop trying to screw with things that are already working.
You have created the jail break on the factory firmware and need to install the 'hotfix' which is not working for you.