Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you prefer Frontlit or Non-Frontlit E-Readers?
I prefer Frontlit E-Readers 99 87.61%
I prefer E-Readers without a Frontlight 14 12.39%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2019, 03:37 PM   #46
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle 7th Gen, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Some folks don’t like having an extra layer for the light diffuser as it can decrease contrast or make the display a bit more hazy.
Also, aside from the possible hardware difference, some folks simply don't want to have to pay that little bit extra that the manufacturers charge to have the built-in light.. But judging by the survey results so far, that is probably a moot point
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:50 PM   #47
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
Also, aside from the possible hardware difference, some folks simply don't want to have to pay that little bit extra that the manufacturers charge to have the built-in light.. But judging by the survey results so far, that is probably a moot point
Given even the basic Kindle has built-in light now (recently on sale for $60 with 25% cashback for Prime credit card holders so $45 net), I don't think there's really an upcharge for the light anymore. Seems to be just another standard feature at this point in time.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:37 PM   #48
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
Nook Simple Touch had an introductory price of $139. Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight had an introductory price of $139. Nook Glowlight had an introductory price of $119.

Kobo Touch had an introductory price of $129. Kobo Glo had an introductory price of $129.

I don't think there's an upcharge for the frontlight and never has been.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:23 PM   #49
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, Kindle Voyage, iPad mini
I just got the newest Kindle (10th gen, $15 after trade in discounts and Prime Day $30 discount). Side by side with the 8th gen Kindle, light off, contrast is slightly better. While it is not possible to know how much better it might be without the front light layer, at least it has not come as a minus. And it is nice to have front light even with moderate ambient light.

I set it down for a minute and looked over: it was finishing up update to latest software!

It does not have magnet sensor for wake up covers. But that’s okay by me: I don’t use covers with my Kindles, and wish there were a way to disable the Kindle sensor as it tends to get triggered by my iPads wake up cover magnet when both are in my bag.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:33 PM   #50
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I think the issue is largely moot: Amazon, Kobo, B&N do not sell eReaders without front light. The market has spoken!
I like my Tolino Page, which is non-lit and has a nice, clear E-Carta screen. These are still available for $65 (including shipping to the U.S.). And I think Pocketbook still makes one or two non-lit eReaders. And there's also the huge used market.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:43 PM   #51
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Given even the basic Kindle has built-in light now (recently on sale for $60 with 25% cashback for Prime credit card holders so $45 net), I don't think there's really an upcharge for the light anymore. Seems to be just another standard feature at this point in time.
But that's only when they're on sale and if you have the Prime credit card — $90 otherwise. Meanwhile good, used readers are a "dime a dozen." I picked up a Tolino Shine (the old one with the Pearl screen) on Shop Goodwill for $6 plus s/h of about $14. It had a crack on the bezel and the screen is a little scraped, but you don't notice it when you're reading and it came with a worn but comfortable leather case. So this will be my "travel" reader. I'm getting to really like the Tolinos. Simple interface, with screens that tend to be a bit "warmer" than the Paperwhite.

EDIT: That said, I should mention that their English dictionary is more or less pathetic. The other day I looked up "grenadiers." Their definition, "the plural of grenadier." No link to grenadier or anything. The Kindle is vastly superior here.

Last edited by rcentros; 07-20-2019 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:45 PM   #52
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
It does not have magnet sensor for wake up covers. But that’s okay by me: ...
I would have just assumed they came with it, since the two Basics before it had that feature. That's kind of an odd regression.

Last edited by rcentros; 07-20-2019 at 10:55 PM. Reason: replaced "digression" with "regression"
Old 07-20-2019, 11:00 PM   #53
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Nook Simple Touch had an introductory price of $139. Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight had an introductory price of $139. Nook Glowlight had an introductory price of $119.

Kobo Touch had an introductory price of $129. Kobo Glo had an introductory price of $129.

I don't think there's an upcharge for the frontlight and never has been.
Yeah, but when the Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight came out, the Nook Simple Touch dropped to $100. And the Kindle non-touch Basic was selling for $60 (I believe) when the Paperwhite was selling for $120.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:24 PM   #54
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
But that's only when they're on sale and if you have the Prime credit card — $90 otherwise. Meanwhile good, used readers are a "dime a dozen." I picked up a Tolino Shine (the old one with the Pearl screen) on Shop Goodwill for $6 plus s/h of about $14. It had a crack on the bezel and the screen is a little scraped, but you don't notice it when you're reading and it came with a worn but comfortable leather case. So this will be my "travel" reader. I'm getting to really like the Tolinos. Simple interface, with screens that tend to be a bit "warmer" than the Paperwhite.
New Kindle sales are at least once a month. Besides, you can buy used e-readers with built-in light for cheap as well.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:28 PM   #55
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Yeah, but when the Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight came out, the Nook Simple Touch dropped to $100. And the Kindle non-touch Basic was selling for $60 (I believe) when the Paperwhite was selling for $120.
It was $80 for the Basic (KT3). Both Basic and Paperwhite 10th gen got a $10 increase from previous model.

Anyway, my point is at this time, frontlight isn't just a "premium" feature anymore.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:21 AM   #56
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
New Kindle sales are at least once a month. Besides, you can buy used e-readers with built-in light for cheap as well.
They don't go on sale for $30 off once a month. But I understand they go on sale quite a bit. As for used eReaders, agreed. I'm currently using a Paperwhite 2 that cost less than $30 total (including the cost of a new Fintie cover ordered directly from Fintie).

Quote:
It was $80 for the Basic (KT3). Both Basic and Paperwhite 10th gen got a $10 increase from previous model.
I'm talking about the pre-7th and 8th generation Basics. 4th and/or 5th (silver and black, non-touch Basic Kindles). But I was off by $10, they sold for $70 when Paperwhites were going for $120, so that's still a significant amount.

Quote:
Anyway, my point is at this time, frontlight isn't just a "premium" feature anymore.
No, not any more.

Screen capture from Archive.org (June 30th, 2014).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nontouch.png
Views:	39
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	172502  

Last edited by rcentros; 07-21-2019 at 02:25 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:47 AM   #57
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
I would have just assumed they came with it, since the two Basics before it had that feature. That's kind of an odd regression.
It does support wake covers. Amazon sells an official one here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K8HXNG4/

Reckon you need to buy a new case as the magnet sensors are likely in a different location from the older models.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:22 AM   #58
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, Kindle Voyage, iPad mini
Quote:

Reckon you need to buy a new case as the magnet sensors are likely in a different location from the older models.
Maybe so, but I could not get the cover for 8th gen Kindle to trigger the 10th, even though they are pretty much the same size (latter is thinner).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:29 PM   #59
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Maybe so, but I could not get the cover for 8th gen Kindle to trigger the 10th, even though they are pretty much the same size (latter is thinner).
Maybe the new Kindle uses two sensors (top and bottom) like the Paperwhite 4.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:02 PM   #60
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:

Okay, that makes more sense. I see Fintie sells wake/sleep covers for the newest Basic (directly through their eBay store) for about $8 to $9 (depending on color or design).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-All-New...fo23XVKKVfwwSw

Last edited by rcentros; 07-21-2019 at 02:05 PM.