Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-19-2019, 01:25 AM   #361
sirwu
sirwu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
hello! I need a kobo H2O SD image,Thank you very much!@davidfor
sirwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:57 AM   #362
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
PM sent.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:38 PM   #363
dom_
dom_ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Dear davidfor,

please can you send me the link to the Kobo Aura H2O sd image ?

From the whole threads, I only notice 2 or 3 successful resurections, I hope to be part of the lucky ones ...

Is your Kobo Aura H2O still working ?

Regards,
++dom
dom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:33 AM   #364
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PM sent.

There are very few responses in the thread about success. I do get a lot more in response to the PM I sent. The few negative responses are usually due to mistakes during the restore, or a failing SD card, or the screen is broken.

And just a note to people I send the image to. I'm fine with not receiving a "thank you". To be honest, with the number of image PMs I send out, a response to all of them would get a bit overwhelming. Unless I hear otherwise, I assume everything is OK.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:42 PM   #365
dom_

Thank you davidfor,

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
PM sent.
There are very few responses in the thread about success. I do get a lot more in response to the PM I sent. The few negative responses are usually due to mistakes during the restore, or a failing SD card, or the screen is broken.
No luck for me. The screen remains frozen on the same page.
The Kobo seems to boot (the led is blinking) and after a while the light of the screen is turned on but the content of the screen remains frozen on the same page.

Do you think changing the screen will solve the problem ?
Old 07-22-2019, 09:47 PM   #366
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_ View Post
No luck for me. The screen remains frozen on the same page.
The Kobo seems to boot (the led is blinking) and after a while the light of the screen is turned on but the content of the screen remains frozen on the same page.

Do you think changing the screen will solve the problem ?
That suggests the screen is broken. You can usually see lines on the screen that show this. There are plenty of photos posted if you want to compare. Or post one of your screen for us to look at.

The screen can be replace, but it is the most expensive part in the device and can be hard to find. Most people don't consider it worthwhile.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:33 AM   #367
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, StoryHD, PW4
here's a recent thread about original H2O screen replacement https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320264
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:09 AM   #368
Tromto
Tromto began at the beginning.

A Brief Report

Quote:
PM sent.
Sorry for late report on this, but since I did not succeed in the resurrection of my device the only last idea that occur was a battery replacement.
Now with the new battery installed and device still not resetting correctly here is the current status.

1. The device charges normally with LED light glowing as it should be.
2. The AURA does NOT react to the switch-on button. Instead, after plugging in the charger it gets to life
3. So, after disassembly, getting out the factory SD card and writing there the factory image sent to my by davidfor (and assembly it back to get the touch functionality) I plugged in the charger, the device started and began the usual routine of initial setup.
4. Screen works OK, touch is responsible, backlight is functioning OK.
5. Passed the initial dialog and the AURA searched for WiFi networks, found mine, connected to it and asked whether to start an update. I confirmed.
6. After downloading the update and at 86% into the installation process the device froze.
7. Did a simple reset using a paperclip. The above process i.3-6 got repeated, only this time the update froze at 70% into download (not installation). This time I was able to switch off by pressing the Power button, but again did not succeed to switch it back on.
8. Third attempt - stopped at 84% into update.
9. Fourth - 89% into update
10. After four unsuccessful starts the device automatically goes to factory reset. This time the initial dialog differs but again the process stops at the "running squares" after four or five "runs".
11. Disassembled again, and changed the factory card with another almost new 4GB SD card (checked for errors - non found).
12. All steps 3-10 got repeated with slightly different percentages for update/install stages.

Is there any way to get a Factory SD image containing the final firmware update pre-installed? Or to bypass the "update over WiFi dialog"? Or boot from the second SD-card slot? Or flash with, may be Android, like it is possible for KOBO Touch?
Tromto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:32 AM   #369
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I don't have an image with later firmware version and no way to create one. You could try one of the following:
  • After the device starts, use the desktop application to do the setup. This will download and copy the new firmware to the device. It will be installed when you eject the device.
  • Same as above, but, before ejecting the device, remove the firmware update files. This will let the device initialise and you can use it. That will let you see if there are other problems. You probably want to disable WiFi while testing to prevent an update.
  • After the device starts, connect to the PC and put the firmware update files on the device. Then eject. This should install the update before doing the user setup.
  • Copy the firmware update files to the SD card before installing the card. The files go in the ".kobo" directory of the third partition. The device should install the firmware while starting. If it doesn't, plug it into the PC and disconnect without doing anything else.

That is the order I would try. Though, if I had the device apart already, I would probably try the last one.

If you manually put the firmware on the device by any of the above methods, you should use at least 3.19.x. Kobo dropped support for older less-secure protocols earlier this year. The factory firmware is probably using these. The 3.19.x is the first version that I know has the appropriate support. If the firmware download starts, this shouldn't be needed, but it might eliminate a possible problem.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:27 PM   #370
dom_

Quote:
That suggests the screen is broken. You can usually see lines on the screen that show this. There are plenty of photos posted if you want to compare. Or post one of your screen for us to look at.

The screen can be replace, but it is the most expensive part in the device and can be hard to find. Most people don't consider it worthwhile.
Indeed davidfor, the screen is broken. Though the front face is intact, after taking it apart, the back revealed cracks.

@frostschutz, thank you for the link, i wish I had read it before :-)
Old 07-27-2019, 04:45 AM   #371
ceremony
ceremony began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by read.me View Post
Hello folks,

My H2O (first generation) freezes at the white screen when starting up. I've tried all of the soft/hard/tapping reset options to no avail.

The power light indicates that the device starts up but only to a white screen (after a couple of black screen flashes). Holding down the power button shuts down the device.

From what I've read in this thread, it seems that my only option is to replace the SD card.

Could someone kindly point me to an image I can use to re-load a new card ?

Thanks
Hi, I'm facing the same problem. Did you fix your Kobo? Did sd image help? Thanks.
ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:47 PM   #372
flancer
flancer began at the beginning.

Device: n250 kobo h20
My kobo seems to have failed on update, on power button press the LED lights for few seconds, and stops. I opened it, there's no sd card, but maybe putting an sd card with right image on it would help? SO I need an sd card image for trying to revive it.
flancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:59 PM   #373
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flancer View Post
My kobo seems to have failed on update, on power button press the LED lights for few seconds, and stops. I opened it, there's no sd card, but maybe putting an sd card with right image on it would help? SO I need an sd card image for trying to revive it.
You list having a "n250 kobo h20". The N250 is the original Kobo Aura H2O. That has an internal SD card. If there isn't one in it now, then the device cannot have "failed on update". Unless the updated caused the card to evaporate.

If you really have an Aura H2O and have somehow lost the internal SD card, then just say so. Or use https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...or-Kobo-tablet to check exactly what device you have. If the device has an internal SD card and you need to replace it, then an image can be supplied. If the device doesn't have an internal SD card, we cannot help.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:17 AM   #374
flancer
flancer began at the beginning.

Device: n250 kobo h20
The device was in service for battery replacement, after failed update opver wifi, it started, left me to choose language and wifi, started dowlnoad and restarted endlessly. In the service shop guys aid the battery might be dead. Returned to me - now there is only "Updating" with 4 black squares and 1 white and "please wait" on forur different languaes - I prsumed failed update... If those idiots forgot the sd card... I am speechless.
Whatever, I have a spar sd card that I can format to try to revive it, so please send me pm with linnk to firmware - it is N250, there really is SD card holder on the motherboard, and there treally is NO card in it. Very strange situation. What I can do is try to burn SD card image on my card and put it in the slot see if the service shop is playing games with me .

Last edited by flancer; 08-03-2019 at 02:20 AM.
flancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:03 AM   #375
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent. But...

I have to say "Wow", and recommend you go back to those guys and get the card back. And maybe a refund.

For the updating message to be on the screen, it must have started doing an update and they interrupted it somehow. If it was endlessly doing this, it might have just run out of power. Or they pulled the battery and card and then couldn't work out what to do.

In any case, using a new card might be a good idea. Endless updates like that can be a sign the card is failing. But, it is unlikely to be the battery causing this.

Tags
flash, h2o, image, sdcard, sdcard-image