Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-18-2019, 10:55 AM   #121
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
I've seen several books like this, as well as books that had multiple chapters per file. Do you know by any chance if multiple chapters per file will also trigger the bug?
Yes, they will.
rashkae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:01 PM   #122
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The only time I've found that bug is when the ToC is hooped. The trigger for me was a book where the author placed the chapter number in one file so it would be on a page by itself and the chapter text in the next file with no header so no entry in toc.ncx.
That's how I formatted the Max Brand short story collection I did, and the Achmed Abdullah one as well; for each story I have a separate title page with the title of the story and when and where it was published. Is that a bad practice or just something that happens to tickle this bug? I could redo it and move the title stuff into the chapter/story text.

Also, what do you mean by "the ToC is hooped"?

Last edited by lumpynose; 07-18-2019 at 11:03 PM.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2019, 11:46 PM   #123
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Yes, they will.
Thanks much, will continue staying away from this one
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:48 AM   #124
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
That's how I formatted the Max Brand short story collection I did, and the Achmed Abdullah one as well; for each story I have a separate title page with the title of the story and when and where it was published. Is that a bad practice or just something that happens to tickle this bug? I could redo it and move the title stuff into the chapter/story text.

Also, what do you mean by "the ToC is hooped"?
IMNSHO, it's not a bad practice for your books as you do have more content on the page than just the chapter number. Much like one recent book I read where the chapter number was followed by one or two epigraphs, there are good reasons for placing that content on a separate page. Perhaps a hidden header in the story to generate a ToC entry without having it display while reading the epub (the indentation makes this easier to view).

However, I really don't like wasting a page to display "Chapter 1" and I consider an ebook that does this as being poorly designed. Much like the cases where the chapter number is preceded by a half screen of white space, it really adds nothing but wasted space.

In my testing, the issue is triggered when you are in a text file that does not have a TOC entry. For a file that had a ToC entry, bringing up the ToC display would show the ToC entry for that file checked while moving to the file with the chapter text and which does not have a ToC entry would show the first entry in the ToC checked. For my test epub, this would be Title Page which is the first entry in the ToC.

Hooped was perhaps a poor word choice. Screwed, trued and blued? Layout created by a intern late on a Friday afternoon? Possibly after happy hour?

And yes, how this is handled is a bug on Kobo's side. The behaviour described for a text file without a ToC entry is spelled out quite clearly in the GitHub entry.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:13 PM   #125
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
IMNSHO, it's not a bad practice for your books as you do have more content on the page than just the chapter number.
Ok, thanks. Mine are title pages for each short story. If it doesn't have any chapters, e.g., a novella then it won't have any h tag in the body part.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2019, 03:47 AM   #126
vjjustin
Enthusiast
vjjustin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Eh, I think the bugs introduced with 4.15 that affect epub books are pretty severe. It can be more than annoying if you turn off the device or switch to home screen, and it doesn't remember what page you left at. (to be honest, I'm kind of surprised there's no hotfix for this yet.)

Personally, I use kepub formats on Kobo, and the newer firmware versions are a really big plus.
Argh!!, I wasted hours trying to fix this. I patched the latest firmware and also resent some books, arranged folders/collections etc. So was sure I made some mistake somewhere and did not check here.

This is frustrating as I have many anthologies, many of which have an author introduction page before the actual story. So, it is almost unusable as I usually don't finish stories in one sitting.

Is there any fix for this or any information as to when there will be a new/fixed firmware?
vjjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:11 AM   #127
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjustin View Post
Argh!!, I wasted hours trying to fix this. I patched the latest firmware and also resent some books, arranged folders/collections etc. So was sure I made some mistake somewhere and did not check here.

This is frustrating as I have many anthologies, many of which have an author introduction page before the actual story. So, it is almost unusable as I usually don't finish stories in one sitting.

Is there any fix for this or any information as to when there will be a new/fixed firmware?
If I were in your shoes I'd try a downgrade. I myself am running 4.10.11655 and can't think of anything remotely annoying with it. Note that I read epub exclusively so if you have kepub books YMMV.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:22 AM   #128
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjustin View Post

Your choices are:
- Send the books a kepubs
- Add a chapter title for each of story sections.
- Merge the intro and story with something between them to show where one finishes and the next starts.
- Downgrade the firmware.
Quote:
There appears to be a new device coming. It will probably be released in October. There is always a firmware release for new devices. I wouldn't expect anything before then.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:03 AM   #129
vjjustin
Enthusiast
vjjustin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
... I'd try a downgrade. I myself am running 4.10.11655 ...
Yes, I think I will have to downgrade if there is no firmware in pipeline. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
... Send the books a kepubs...

...a new device coming. It will probably be released in October. There is always a firmware release for new devices...
This is great, I can wait a month or so if there is an upgrade. If that isn't coming by then, I will downgrade.

I hate making any changes to epub files (even as simple as font changes) and prefer to keep them as close to retail as possible. If on the otherhand these are badly formatted files and I 'need' to read it, I will spend hours modifying it. I might convert these to kepub for the time being. Will it still maintain the activity info between epub and kepub? I guess not. Anyways, thanks for the quick response.
vjjustin is offline   Reply With Quote