Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-10-2021, 11:31 AM   #1
Tipiford
Enthusiast
Tipiford began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 10th Gen/Pixel App
Lost ALL Book Covers

Yesterday, opening Calibre, I find no book covers at all, losing more than 2,400 covers (.jpg files). What might have caused this, and is there any way to retrieve them─easily? I recently updated, and am using version 5.90
Tipiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 02:46 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Which OS.

Version 5.90 does not exist, do you mean version 5.9.0.

To upload your screenshot (if that's what it is) to MR, go into Advanced Mode and click the paper click button in the top toolbar.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2021, 03:19 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I don't seem to have access to that image. Perhaps you could attach it to your message instead.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 05:49 PM   #4
Tipiford
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Which OS.
Version 5.90 does not exist, do you mean version 5.9.0.
To upload your screenshot (if that's what it is) to MR, go into Advanced Mode and click the paper click button in the top toolbar.
BR
Oops, a slip of the fingers. Ver. 5.30 (I believe─I have updated today)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I don't seem to have access to that image. Perhaps you could attach it to your message instead.
The image is merely Calibre's "non-cover" image.
Old 11-10-2021, 05:56 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Is your library on a network drive or is it syncing to a cloud (Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox etc.)?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2021, 06:56 PM   #6
Tipiford
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Is your library on a network drive or is it syncing to a cloud (Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox etc.)?
Neither, it's on one of our computers.

Quote:
I have provided a valid link and an attachment, neither of which work─MobileReads might need to adjust it's thread reply procedure.
Old 11-10-2021, 07:02 PM   #7
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipiford View Post
I have provided a valid link and an attachment, neither of which work─MobileReads might need to adjust it's thread reply procedure.
I don't know if you would call this a valid link...

Code:
https://ftp//eyeof164@eyeofworld.com/public_html/images/errata/CalibreCover.jpg
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:10 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
A suggestion; try to avoid posting ftp links. Browsers are removing ALL support for fto
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 06:36 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Filezilla for FTP and SFTP. I've never used a browser for FTP and I've been using browsers since Mosaic on Win 3.1.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 09:37 AM   #10
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Filezilla for FTP and SFTP.
I prefer WinSCP myself. Not cross-platform though.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 09:52 AM   #11
Tipiford
Enthusiast

We're 'kinda off track on the issue. The link and/or attachment is of no relevance (I probably should not have included it).
The issue is having lost 2,400+ images; how or why, and are they retrievable.
Old 11-11-2021, 10:06 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Do you have a backup of any kind?
If not, if the books themselves are present, you should be able to just extract the covers from the books again.

As to where they went, that's a mystery. It's unlikely to be a problem with calibre, but most likely something specific to your setup. Have you been issuing commands on a command line?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 11:31 AM   #13
Tipiford
Enthusiast

Quote:
Do you have a backup of any kind?
If not, if the books themselves are present, you should be able to just extract the covers from the books again.
I don't believe the graphics can be extracted from the .mobi files, and the backup I have is minus some 1,000 changes (updates to ratings and covers), so it will be a 'bear' of a project to update the backup.

Quote:
As to where they went, that's a mystery. It's unlikely to be a problem with calibre, but most likely something specific to your setup. Have you been issuing commands on a command line?
I don't see how anything other than Calibre could have deleted every single graphic from that many separate folders (there's a folder for each author, and a sub-folder for each book for that author).
Old 11-11-2021, 11:35 AM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If you look under the covers in the Calibre library, what files do you see in a typical folder?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 11:57 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre does have the ability to Remove covers from Selected Books

That needs serious user (bad) actions (more than 1 place/chance to abort) to get done.
First you would select All (there is a sea of blue in front of you)
Then you right clicked to get the Context Menu for that Sea
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote