Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-08-2021, 02:34 PM   #1
Peter Ahlstrom
Connoisseur
Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Text color problems

Kindle Previewer is showing me an incorrect text color. The color is:
color: #e7b709;
On the left half of the screenshot is Kindle Previewer and on the right half is Apple Books. Any idea what's going on?

Last edited by Peter Ahlstrom; 11-08-2021 at 02:40 PM.
Peter Ahlstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 04:02 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Real eReaders don't do colour anyway. Only apps do color (Colour).

Both would also look poor on paper. Use Black.

Also the Kindle Previewer is nothing like the real world of actual Kindle eink ereaders or Kindle Apps on iOS, Fire or Android or PC.

We don't even use it at all now.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2021, 04:33 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
This quote is from Amazon's description of Enhanced Typesetting:

Quote:
Dynamic color contrast: With Enhanced Typesetting, text of any color will be legible above any background color. Font colors will adapt automatically to provide sufficient contrast with either the device color theme chosen by the reader or to the background color of any page-level element.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 05:57 PM   #4
Peter Ahlstrom
Connoisseur
Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Real eReaders don't do colour anyway. Only apps do color (Colour).

Both would also look poor on paper. Use Black.
That's like saying don't put color images in ePubs either. Ebooks are not paper books. e-ink device sales are in steep decline, and most people read on phones or tablets with color screens. The converted-to-grayscale version will look fine on e-ink screens for those who have them.

Pretty annoyed at this Enhanced Typesetting "feature." I like to make the accent color the same as the book's title logo image. The image colors are not being changed the same way the text is, so now they don't match.
Old 11-09-2021, 08:07 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ahlstrom View Post
That's like saying don't put color images in ePubs either.
They are pretty irrelevant in colour except for "coffee table" type books that need a 10" tablet or paper.

It's true slightly more than half of ebook reading is on phones and tablets. But it's contentious to claim eink is in decline.

Also I've over 3000 paper books and many art books. None use coloured headings or coloured lead-in text at a paragraph. It looks rubbish.

Even Drop Caps and SMALL CAPS paragraph starts are a bit of a distraction on paper and advised against on ebooks.

It's a mistake just to do stuff just because you can. It's no surprise the feature doesn't preview properly.

Kindle Preview is poor compared to testing on real Kindle Apps or Kindles.
Test on Kindle Apps on iOS, Android and Fire and a real Kindle. Not Kindle Preview.

Also don't be exclusive on Kindle.
Advert
Old 11-09-2021, 11:00 AM   #6
Peter Ahlstrom
Connoisseur

I never said I was exclusive on Kindle, and I'm not. However, if 70% of the market is on Amazon, only 30% of readers will get the ideal experience. It's annoying.

Before Enhanced Typesetting, the feature previewed properly, and the result was the same on the Kindle app. As for the accent color, we've never had a single complaint, and the comments we've received that mention it have been positive. We also use an accent color in our premium leatherbound editions, and it's very well received there too.

I'm also annoyed that Enhanced Typesetting has gotten rid of transparent gifs. I personally always read in night mode, so I make sure our images look good against both white and black backgrounds, and these big white rectangles are such an eyesore.

Last edited by Peter Ahlstrom; 11-09-2021 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-09-2021, 12:01 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Transparent or gifs has never been supported. If either worked at all it was by accident.

No version of Kindle Preview was ever accurate for everything. It's only a preview tool for casual ebook creators.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:26 AM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ahlstrom View Post
I never said I was exclusive on Kindle, and I'm not. However, if 70% of the market is on Amazon, only 30% of readers will get the ideal experience. It's annoying.

Before Enhanced Typesetting, the feature previewed properly, and the result was the same on the Kindle app. As for the accent color, we've never had a single complaint, and the comments we've received that mention it have been positive. We also use an accent color in our premium leatherbound editions, and it's very well received there too.

I'm also annoyed that Enhanced Typesetting has gotten rid of transparent gifs. I personally always read in night mode, so I make sure our images look good against both white and black backgrounds, and these big white rectangles are such an eyesore.
ET didn't get rid of transparent gifs. I don't know what you're remembering, but transparencies have NEVER been supported in any Kindle device. Not ever. The Previewer is "fixed" now, to NOT show them as-if transparent, because they're not. Not now, not ever.

If you're getting comments...well...I suspect the folks giving you the comments haven't bothered to open the file and certainly never bothered to look in night, sepia or green.

Sorry, but I've been doing this commercially for a dozen years and your understanding, via Previewer, is incorrect.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 01:40 AM   #9
Peter Ahlstrom
Connoisseur

By comments, I was only referring to the accent color.

As for transparency, I stand corrected. It’s a shame the epub will always look better, then.
Old 11-26-2021, 07:20 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

What physical epub reader are you getting transparency to work on?
Also eink has either blackish, "white" and two greys or black, whitish and 14 greys. About 1/2 of ebook reading is on eink.
Old 11-28-2021, 01:05 PM   #11
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
>About 1/2 of ebook reading is on eink.

Amazing. I would have thought Fire tablets had the edge, but perhaps that's only because I prefer the tablet.

Thanks as always for the information.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 03:31 PM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Fire is simply an Amazon version of an Android Tablet. I'd be surprised if not outnumbered by iPads or Android Tablets in general. But phones are the most popular device to read ebooks outside the home.