Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-28-2021, 11:05 AM   #1
Liz47
Liz47 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kobo not recognised by Windows 10

I spent 4 hours this afternoon deciphering why my laptop couldn’t see my reader, but my reader could see the laptop. First I disabled my antivirus which is a common problem. Then I tried all other solutions I read. The cable might charge but not transfer data. Turn off the wifi on the Reader. Try to see if Windows can “see” Kobo in safe mode. Reset Kobo to factory settings. And the options just kept going.

It turns out, just disabling my antivirus wasn’t enough. I had to instruct (disable) my antivirus programme from protecting my USB option.

that’s all it took for success.

Talk about anti-virus over-protective “mothering” +++ !!!

Just need to post this in the hope it will save others who find themselves in the same boat,
Liz47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 11:20 AM   #2
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
This is why I do not have any active, on all the time anti virus in my system. More annoying than it's worth. I only use on demand scanning
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 12:11 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz47 View Post
I spent 4 hours this afternoon deciphering why my laptop couldn’t see my reader, but my reader could see the laptop. First I disabled my antivirus which is a common problem. Then I tried all other solutions I read. The cable might charge but not transfer data. Turn off the wifi on the Reader. Try to see if Windows can “see” Kobo in safe mode. Reset Kobo to factory settings. And the options just kept going.

It turns out, just disabling my antivirus wasn’t enough. I had to instruct (disable) my antivirus programme from protecting my USB option.

that’s all it took for success.

Talk about anti-virus over-protective “mothering” +++ !!!

Just need to post this in the hope it will save others who find themselves in the same boat,
What AV are you using? To me, it sounds like you are best to dump it and use the one that comes with Windows 10. I use what comes with Windows 10 and it works no bother.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 01:16 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What AV are you using? To me, it sounds like you are best to dump it and use the one that comes with Windows 10. I use what comes with Windows 10 and it works no bother.
I agree.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 01:47 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I agree.
I've never have Microsoft's AV have a problem with Calibre or my H2O and PW3.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:05 AM   #6
Liz47
Liz47 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
BitDefender. But it is not the programme's fault. It is my fault for not understanding the programmes parameters. I suspect it's also been blocking my Epson V600 scanner, reliant on USB, from working properly.
Liz47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:07 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz47 View Post
BitDefender. But it is not the programme's fault. It is my fault for not understanding the programmes parameters. I suspect it's also been blocking my Epson V600 scanner, reliant on USB, from working properly.
You don't need an AV you don't know how to use. The AV that comes with Windows 10 just works.