Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 07-19-2006, 04:07 AM   #1
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Hands-on: Russian Jinke Reader V8

Our valued member TaKir just told me that there is a review of the Hanlin V8 (Russian version) online now. You can find it here.

It's all in Russian, but maybe a babelfish translation or some friend from Russia can provide a translation for us English-speaking folks.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 05:35 AM   #2
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
Babelfish has this to say:

Quote:
Only minus (at present) – in files htm not will be preserved the type formulation (italics, fatty, different sizes it is type.)
So, it looks like LVD has only adapted the device for Cyrillic characters and Russian menu. Rendering functionality is not developed enough.

I still wonder what happens with special characters, like "ç", "ñ" or "ß". I asked LVD last week, but no answer so far.

Other interesting stuff:

Both a USB 2.0 Card Reader (cool, since the V8 is only 1.1) and 128 Mb SD card are included with the package.

Quote:
Battery charging can be achieved also with the connection through USB.
Quote:
The time of complete charging both from the usual rosette and from USB is approximately 3 hours
Quote:
charger with Mini USB by joint
If I understood correctly, the battery can be recharged in 3 hours either by connecting the USB port on the V8 directly to the power outlet or to a USB port on the computer.

The website for the Russian V8 does not have an English version (garbled text). The shop looks empty as of now. The V2 is also there, with a tentative launch date of 10-11/06 at 1855 grn (Yahoo says that's 294 €).
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2006, 10:06 AM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm considering the Jinke as an alternative to the Sony Reader. Most of what I've seen of it, including this review, fits my needs. I am only curious which one comes out first... the Sony is now expected for some time around August or September, right? And they only start in the US, but not in Europe. Does anyone know more details about when and how Jinke is going to distribute its E ink reader?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:20 AM   #4
bshort
Enthusiast
bshort began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo 700p
They're looking for third party retailers as far as I've been able to tell. LVD is going to be selling them in Russian and English versions at some point in the near future, but I don't think there's an actual shipping date that's been published yet.
bshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:36 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I think the Sony e-reader is more likely to be September/October. My guess is closer to the end of October.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2006, 02:34 PM   #6
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
I haven't the time to read the whole thing, but what is clear is that it will not decipher drm-protected texts, and as far as my rapid go-through tells me, it reads txt doc and html only. And, as pointed out above, it will not preserve html formatting or typeface. And it is a reader only.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote