Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-14-2018, 10:05 AM   #16
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by robilarocn View Post
At this point, I would have to run my entire library through calibre (again) in order to have them populate the data on the Kobo based on what you are saying?
No, I don't think you need to do that, if your books are already on the device. You can install davidfor's Kobo Utilities calibre plugin. Then use the option labelled 'Update metadata in device library' while you are USB-connected to calibre. For selected books this will update your Kobo's database directly without the device needing to re-read the metadata inside the epub. It has the ability to transfer all sorts of calibre metadata not typically read from the epub during initial transfer. The combo of calibre metadata plugboards and the Kobo Utilities plugin is pretty great IMO.

There's a similar option in KU for updating your cover thumbnail/screensavers if it's of any interest.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:19 PM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
No, I don't think you need to do that, if your books are already on the device. You can install davidfor's Kobo Utilities calibre plugin. Then use the option labelled 'Update metadata in device library' while you are USB-connected to calibre. For selected books this will update your Kobo's database directly without the device needing to re-read the metadata inside the epub. It has the ability to transfer all sorts of calibre metadata not typically read from the epub during initial transfer. The combo of calibre metadata plugboards and the Kobo Utilities plugin is pretty great IMO.

There's a similar option in KU for updating your cover thumbnail/screensavers if it's of any interest.
Just connecting the device to calibre will do the series info update assuming the configuration is correct. The driver does this on each connection. It only does the differences between the library and device. So the first time for robilarocn would probably take a few minutes, but after that it doesn't take much time at all.

But, from robilarocn wording, I suspect calibre isn't used for transferring books. My guess is that calibre is used for conversion, but management is done elsewhere.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2018, 07:24 PM   #18
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But, from robilarocn wording, I suspect calibre isn't used for transferring books. My guess is that calibre is used for conversion, but management is done elsewhere.
If that's the case it's not surprising his Kobo is lacking metadata. I've never really understood why a calibre user would choose plain drag-drop over a "proper" calibre send-to-device.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:50 PM   #19
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Seems silly to me to try and have 11,000 ebooks in a library on a portable reader unless you think the zombie apocalypse is actually going to happen. If so no time to read and if we have a bad enough solar storm or EMP it kills your electronics anyway. I am not sure there is a practical solution for what you want.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:48 PM   #20
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Huawei T2 7.0 Pro 7" (16 GB version). I love this tablet (well technically a phablet) but the big issue with it is storage. While it does have a micro SD slot, as mentioned above, I've run into issues trying to pull content off a micro SD card. Also this device only has Android 5.1.1. Because its also a phone, a big chunk of its storage is phone related apps that cannot be uninstalled (And I've never found a decent root kit for it). Only have about 550MB free on the device currently (and that is with zero other apps installed and all apps that can be disabled, disabled and updates removed).
Only 550 Meg free out of 16g seems like something's wrong. I have a Android 5.1.1 phone with just 8gb storage, a bunch of apps and have 889meg free. Coincidentally, it's also a Huawei.

(Unless you meant that your book library tales up the rest of the space, in which case, nevermind....)

I usually read on a 5.5 inch phone, BTW.

Last edited by Alohamora; 02-14-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2018, 01:00 AM   #21
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Seems silly to me to try and have 11,000 ebooks in a library on a portable reader unless you think the zombie apocalypse is actually going to happen.
It's not that you need them all, it's that you don't know which ones you need. It's really nice to have all the journals you read with you, so that when a reference to, say, the Jan 10 1997 issue comes up you can read it. Or when some other book references The Son Also Rises you can pull it up and read it, even if you're out of Internet range.

Storage is super cheap these days, to the point where we can carry lots of information with us without being at the whim of third party cloud providers. Using it isn't weird; jumping through a ton of hoops because you can't put a $10 SD card in your device is weird.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:46 AM   #22
robilarocn
Enthusiast
robilarocn began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab S2 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Seems silly to me to try and have 11,000 ebooks in a library on a portable reader unless you think the zombie apocalypse is actually going to happen. If so no time to read and if we have a bad enough solar storm or EMP it kills your electronics anyway. I am not sure there is a practical solution for what you want.
I travel for work about 3 weeks out of every month. As such, having a full library is a necessity. I am in places frequently where wifi is non existent or spotty at best.

I never know what I am going to feel like reading (or re-reading). And I read a lot when I travel.

On a side note, I have a usb backup of my entire library in an EMP proof sealed metal box at home

And there have been solutions that fit my needs, they are all discontinued... Huawei Mediapad X2 32GB and the Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB both would work perfectly but they are no longer available which is why I am looking for alternative solutions.

As noted, my Samsung S2 works fine but I really need something compact I can fit in a coat pocket (as my hands are almost always full when travelling). My current Huawei T2 7.0 Pro works fine but I was never able to find the 32GB version of it and between the size of my library and the massive amount of bloatware and phone related apps on it, it's getting close to full.

Last edited by robilarocn; 02-15-2018 at 08:48 AM.
robilarocn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:02 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Devices with truly large storage seem rare. I am in your position: I work away from home, and like to have my entire library with me. In my case, though, my "library" consists of Egyptology reference works which are in PDF format, and total some 300GB in size. Fortunately I'm able to buy an iPad with 512GB storage on which to keep them.

My fiction library is on my 32GB Kindle Oasis 2, which has a 7" screen. On that I currently have 9151 books, and about 5GB storage free. (Many of those books are extremely large Delphi omnibus editions.)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:08 AM   #24
robilarocn
Enthusiast

How do you like the Oasis? I looked at it but its still a bit large for my pockets and its over $500 here in Canada for the 32GB. I paid that for my S2 so it's not really a price issue but at least with my 7" tablets I can check the odd email, add notes in google keep etc.

For sizing it looks like the Oasis is 6.3" x 5.6" x .33" and weighs 194 grams

by comparison my Huawei T2 7.0 Pro

7.38" x 4.17" x .32" and weighs 250 grams

It's really the width that is the killer for fitting into suit coat pockets.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:10 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How do you like the Oasis? I looked at it but its still a bit large for my pockets and its over $500 here in Canada for the 32GB. I paid that for my S2 so it's not really a price issue but at least with my 7" tablets I can check the odd email, add notes in google keep etc.

For sizing it looks like the Oasis is 6.3" x 5.6" x .33" and weighs 194 grams

by comparison my Huawei T2 7.0 Pro

7.38" x 4.17" x .32" and weighs 250 grams

It's really the width that is the killer for fitting into suit coat pockets.
I like it a lot, but you're right, it is almost square, and won't fit into a typical pocket. I carry mine in a bag, though, so that's not a problem. It's very nice indeed to read on.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:31 PM   #26
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
On a side note, I have a usb backup of my entire library in an EMP proof sealed metal box at home
Good, you'll have the largest electronic library after the apocalypse. But, how are you going to read them????????
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:10 PM   #27
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfan View Post
It's not that you need them all, it's that you don't know which ones you need. It's really nice to have all the journals you read with you, so that when a reference to, say, the Jan 10 1997 issue comes up you can read it. Or when some other book references The Son Also Rises you can pull it up and read it, even if you're out of Internet range.

Storage is super cheap these days, to the point where we can carry lots of information with us without being at the whim of third party cloud providers. Using it isn't weird; jumping through a ton of hoops because you can't put a $10 SD card in your device is weird.
There are also many cheap & portable wi-fi storage solutions now, that can be used for transferring books, audio books, videos etc. to tablets and e-readers like some 30-50 $ wi-fi 2.5in HDD enclosure, 10-50 $ wi-fi SD card readers

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PQI-A100-Dr.../dp/B00B5XC1M6

or 30-100 $ wireless media drives like:

https://www.computershopper.com/stor...wireless-stick
https://www.computershopper.com/stor...product-review

I use Calibre only for undrm-ing, not book management itself, because in my case I have about 8 000 pdf/djvu/epub books at about 50 GB that are numbered 1 - 8 000 and listed in pdf with nine book-covers per pdf page (or without those pictures), with book metadata listed at the end of the pdf (name, author, topic ...), so, I can browse/search that pdf i.e. my book collection, in any tablet or ereader to quickly find the book number and transfer it to tablet/ereader thereafter.

Annotated books could also easily be renamed 1a, 1a1, 1a2 etc. for the latest versions.

e.g. my Kindle DX doesn't even have wi-fi, but if I connect it over usb cable to my wi-fi hdd enclosure as I would any usb memory stick, I can then also wirelessly transfer books to and from it using my ipad (using enclosure's iOS app) as I would wirelessly transfer books from wi-fi hdd to iPad or any Android tablet/phone.

Last edited by Marinolino; 02-15-2018 at 10:43 PM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:00 PM   #28
robilarocn
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Good, you'll have the largest electronic library after the apocalypse. But, how are you going to read them????????

Come on give a little credit. I have 5 tablets.. One of them is in the box with a portable solar charger...
Old 02-16-2018, 04:43 AM   #29
cobrax3
Connoisseur
cobrax3 began at the beginning.

Device: PW1
tablets don't make good readers, in my opinion, the eye strain is too great.
but dor casual, 10 minute reads, they are ok
cobrax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:48 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrax3 View Post
tablets don't make good readers, in my opinion, the eye strain is too great.
but dor casual, 10 minute reads, they are ok
That's very much a matter for the individual. I can - and do - read comfortably on my iPad all day. For PDFs a tablet is the only sensible choice.

I do prefer to read fiction on my eInk Kindle due to its much longer battery life, sunlight readability (I don't read my iPad outside) and portability.