Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-11-2008, 07:57 AM   #1
mulderfox
mulderfox began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Question BeBook, Sony, Or wait for Astak?

I like the sony's design and 8 grey shades, the bebook's wide format support, and the astak wi-fi support and low price..
How can I choose??
I expect that when the astak will be out, the prices of all others will drop to become competitive, but I don't know if I want to wait this long..

What are your thoughts?

thanks!
mulderfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I suggest waiting until Oct. 2nd to hear what Sony has to say, see New Chapter on Digital Reading. There is a chance that they will announce an upgraded Reader with WiFi.

Almost all the big EInk news seems to be for next spring, but WiFi/3G is something that could be added to existing designs for the Christmas season. It isn't clear that Astak is going to do this (on their initial readers) by the way. Part of the problem is that WiFi is just the hardware, you also need one or more ebooks stores (and other providers, e.g. newspapers) to allow direct downloads.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
Cookie Monster
Connoisseur
Cookie Monster doesn't litterCookie Monster doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-700
Don't hold your breathe waiting for Astak. It looks suspiciously like it's vapourware
Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:19 PM   #4
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
Don't hold your breathe waiting for Astak. It looks suspiciously like it's vapourware
Geess stop promoting this, yes I know its your opinion and your entitled to it.

BUT, its been said by their rep etc that they are waiting for the faster controller to put in there e-book reader so that they have the latest advance etc.

That controller isn’t released till Oct, at which point they will start production or what ever.

Yes they said they would have something earlier, but when the new controller release date was released etc they most likely made a company decision to wait for that to ensure that they would have a good competitive edge vs releasing a product that would have to be redesigned etc due to the fact that everyone already producing readers would move to it and they would then be behind in desirability
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote