Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 06-22-2016, 03:41 AM   #1
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
[Tips & Tricks] Marvin 3 vs Marvin SxS

I’ve been getting several enquiries about the differences between Marvin 3 (M3) and Marvin Side-by-Side (SxS) and wrote an article to clarify what’s the same, what’s different, and answer some other frequently asked questions.

http://blog.appstafarian.com/post/146297027803/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPad_2.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	446.7 KB
ID:	149575  
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:15 AM   #2
mariosipad
Guru
mariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watch

Device: iPad & iPhone with Marvin 2 + 3 & Kobo Glo HD
So you can use either as "stand alone" e-book (and comic) reader, but you need both (Marvin 3 and Marvin SxS) to use them with split view.
mariosipad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2016, 10:07 AM   #3
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Thank you for the clarification. It will be nice to be able to open the same book in both Marvins, for example for viewing maps away from the text you are reading.
Bur you have to pay for both apps to get full version, but that is okay with me.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:49 AM   #4
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
And also useful for reading a book that is a "retelling" of a classic. I just read a Netgalley book that told The Wizard of Oz from Toto's POV, and it would have been handy to have the original open at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
Thank you for the clarification. It will be nice to be able to open the same book in both Marvins, for example for viewing maps away from the text you are reading.
Bur you have to pay for both apps to get full version, but that is okay with me.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:16 AM   #5
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@svenlind, @dandelioncottage I'm currently brushing up on my French and I am finding it very useful having the same book open in English and French at the same time.
Advert
Old 06-23-2016, 10:51 PM   #6
Pendragn
Pendragn knows what's going on.Pendragn knows what's going on.Pendragn knows what's going on.Pendragn knows what's going on.Pendragn knows what's going on.Pendragn knows what's going on.Pendragn knows what's going on.Pendragn knows what's going on.Pendragn knows what's going on.Pendragn knows what's going on.Pendragn knows what's going on.

Device: None
Deleted.

Last edited by Pendragn; 03-23-2024 at 06:24 PM.
Pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:52 PM   #7
bounce
Zealot
bounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Ipad, Kindle 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
@svenlind, @dandelioncottage I'm currently brushing up on my French and I am finding it very useful having the same book open in English and French at the same time.
Good use case. I often read a book in Marvin while listening to the audiobook in another language. Would be cool if text to speech could read Spanish when the book is in English, I think NLP is a way off from that capability though.
bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:32 AM   #8
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
My plan is also to put non-fiction (and cookbooks!) in one and my (stupidly large) fiction library in the other.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:24 PM   #9
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
Just got SxS and it is soooo cool. Still getting the hang of using it, though one thing I tried was to copy the current book. Having that in the in-book tool menu could be useful.

I also tried sending a font, though that required copying from Marvin to Dropbox to SxS. A small thing since perhaps it won't be used often.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:06 AM   #10
kguil
Addict

@democrite Yes. I think it's useful. I'll add it to my feature requests list. There's an easier way to transfer fonts. Go to Settings > EPUB > Custom Fonts. Tap the main menu and export from there.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:42 AM   #11
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Yes I had tried export font. Perhaps that was meant to Airdrop to another device. I was trying to send to SxS but send to dropbox was the only option. From Dropbox, I was then able to send or open in SxS.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:32 AM   #12
kguil
Addict

@demo You are right. I'll add an 'open in...' option in an update.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:18 AM   #13
democrite
Evangelist

Cool. For those of us who might only have slide over, or look forward to maybe a future tabbed reading, even if it's years from now, another way to quickly switch or refer to other works might be in the in-book menu, if there's some place to put it, a button for recents?
Old 06-26-2016, 04:17 AM   #14
adrian1944
Connoisseur
adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Imac, iPhone SE, iPad Air 2, Ipad Mini, Ipad Pro, Sony 650.
Kris

I have both M3 and SxS. I quite like the idea of M S Wallack above about keeping different genres of books on different versions of M3 and SxS. Can one have more than one copy of SxS on a device? So i could have say 3 or more options.
The small cost would be worth it not to lose track of some books I am reading, where the last opened list does not really cover it.

If this is possible the only enhancement that would be welcome in a future update would be the ability to edit/change the marvin icon on the device. At present M3 has a white background and SxS a black one, perhaps the ability to choose other colour backgrounds so different genres could be easily identified. This could be like the different colour schemes and could again justify a tip.

Great update, well worth the money and I am totally happy with the author sort option, sorry it caused so much debate and angst!

adrian
adrian1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:00 AM   #15
democrite
Evangelist

I don't think it's possible to have more than one copy of an app, thus the existence of SxS rather than only M3. As one can create an icon to open a Safari bookmark, perhaps there could be icons to open a book or collection in M3 or SxS.