Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-03-2019, 08:30 AM   #1
Vancete
Vancete began at the beginning.

Device: Clara HD
Clara working hacks?

Hi there,

Planning to buy a Clara HD, but I'm not finding much information about 'hacking' it. I've found the SSH part and that things.

But I want to use it as e-ink dashboard, so it will be cool if you point me how to run scripts or show full-screen images (like the weather dashboards available for kindles).

Thanks
Vancete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:24 AM   #2
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancete View Post
Hi there,

Planning to buy a Clara HD, but I'm not finding much information about 'hacking' it. I've found the SSH part and that things.

But I want to use it as e-ink dashboard, so it will be cool if you point me how to run scripts or show full-screen images (like the weather dashboards available for kindles).

Thanks
I'm not to date on the older mods for the Kobo, but some are listed in the hacks, tweaks, and mods thread. As for your use, you can probably either write an app in Qt, use the Kobo web browser (there's a full screen mode for it you can enable in the config file), or use fbink to show text/images. Not that the Kobo web browser lacks most HTML5 features and only supports ES5.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2019, 03:54 AM   #3
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
I think frostschutz's `MiniClock` and `Random Screensaver Image` are a good start point for your goal.
Good luck.
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:49 AM   #4
Vancete

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcn363 View Post
I think frostschutz's `MiniClock` and `Random Screensaver Image` are a good start point for your goal.
Good luck.
Are these working on Clara? Is there any known way to run py/pygame scripts on the new Clara?

Many thanks
Old 01-04-2019, 06:22 AM   #5
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
Quote:
Are these working on Clara? Is there any known way to run py/pygame scripts on the new Clara?

Many thanks

Yes. Although all Kobo use different drivers, because of different hardware (mainly screen), all use the same system (Linux).
Read NiLuJe's post for Python.

Good luck.
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2019, 04:59 PM   #6
Vancete

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcn363 View Post
Yes. Although all Kobo use different drivers, because of different hardware (mainly screen), all use the same system (Linux).
Read NiLuJe's post for Python.

Good luck.
That's really helpful, the thing is... I don't know how to 'jailbreak' my Clara to run python/lua scripts.

Is there any step-by-step guide?

Many thanks
Old 01-13-2019, 06:47 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
That's really helpful, the thing is... I don't know how to 'jailbreak' my Clara to run python/lua scripts.

Is there any step-by-step guide?

Many thanks
No jailbreak needed. Think of your Clara as a Linux box with root access.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:14 AM   #8
Vancete

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
No jailbreak needed. Think of your Clara as a Linux box with root access.
Thanks for the answer.

I'm following this guide, but it's a little bit complicated, even more in Windows:
https://yingtongli.me/blog/2018/07/30/kobo-telnet.html

Is there any ready to go image with root access to write it on the sd?

Thanks
Old 01-14-2019, 12:09 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
oh, hai!
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #10
Vancete

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Welcome here

I've just installed your kfmon without hassle, now I'll try to follow that thread.

Many many thanks