Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 12-29-2017, 10:18 AM   #256
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchbook View Post
By the way, your review left me with a question: Can't you search the device for specific book titles?
Yes you can - actually, you can search for file names, but you can set the names to anything you like. It’s still much much less useful than a text search inside books would be...
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:44 AM   #257
Poremskyi
Poremskyi can extract oil from cheesePoremskyi can extract oil from cheesePoremskyi can extract oil from cheesePoremskyi can extract oil from cheesePoremskyi can extract oil from cheesePoremskyi can extract oil from cheesePoremskyi can extract oil from cheesePoremskyi can extract oil from cheesePoremskyi can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition, PocketBook A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchbook View Post
Poremskyi, I found your review to be too emotionally written.
Yes, you're obviously right about that, and I don't pretend it to be an all-round review of the device without any emotion on my part; the dissatisfaction I feel translates into the text. After all, I'm not an independent reviewer. What those independent reviewers have produced, however, lacks details I'd like to know as a reader, therefore I collected them myself and presented in a form that some may find objectionable. I'm fine with that as long as all the points that I make are well-justified.

Yes, a fellow forum member has already replied that you can search for a book name in the file list by tapping on the magnifying glass in the top left corner of the main menu. I'm consoled that at least this functionality is there.
Poremskyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2017, 06:18 PM   #258
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kindle DX, iPad, Kobo Mini,H20,iRiver StoryHD
Thank You for your review Poremskyi. I found it useful.

So reMarkable reading capablities:
  • PDF - no text search, no table of contents
  • epub - missing formatting, no clickable links

This is simply inexcusable if the device is going to be marketed to readers (not note takers).

Surely reMarkable did not develop a new PDF and epub renderer inhouse, they used some off the shelf libraries, so adding text search should have been relatively easy.

By comparison Sony DPT-S1 might not have epub reader but PDFs work great.
Or Kobo H20 might not be great at PDFs but its epub renderer works great.

This a software issue so lets hope reMarkable team or 3rd parties can release some better reading software.
Begemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:10 AM   #259
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
I'm astonished what remarKable people have done. I wonder, If eReaders market is already too small because people like the quick responsiveness of tablets, why shrink it more targeting only sketching abilities?
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:27 AM   #260
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have tried writing on a regular tablet with a stylus - it is absolutely awful. Writing (and I'm not even sketching - my artistic abilities are close to zero - just writing) on the Remarkable is really pleasant - I stopped taking notebooks to meetings, just this device.

Now, yes, it is a very narrow target market, and in the current state the reading/annotating software is lagging a lot behind. But the possibility to write comfortably on a dedicated digital device does appeal to some people.
Advert
Old 12-30-2017, 07:50 AM   #261
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
I have tried writing on a regular tablet with a stylus - it is absolutely awful. Writing (and I'm not even sketching - my artistic abilities are close to zero - just writing) on the Remarkable is really pleasant - I stopped taking notebooks to meetings, just this device.

Now, yes, it is a very narrow target market, and in the current state the reading/annotating software is lagging a lot behind. But the possibility to write comfortably on a dedicated digital device does appeal to some people.
I thought do it on an iPad was easy and comfortable. I know people are saving money in order to buy an iPad for drawing and sketching.
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:48 AM   #262
Philippe D.
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
I thought do it on an iPad was easy and comfortable. I know people are saving money in order to buy an iPad for drawing and sketching.
Well I've been using an iPad for years, and I tried writing/sketching on it - and hated it. The screen surface is much too smooth, and I found the various styli I used to be very imprecise (mind you, I never tried an iPad Pro and Apple Pen).

OTOH, the iPad has the CPU power to make very nice apps run smoothly - it's just that the medium doesn't feel right to me.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:55 PM   #263
TheMadBrewer
Connoisseur
TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura Limited Edition, Kindle Voyager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poremskyi View Post
Dear all:

I've written a review of my (rather disastrous) reading experience with reMarkable on Medium.

There are lots of things to be unhappy about, and my central point is that the device is not good for _reading_.

I hope it will be helpful to those potential buyers who are still thinking whether or not to buy the device.

Your feedback is also greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Dmytro
I've come to the same conclusion -- I've gone back to my Kindle Voyage as my main reading device.

The killer for me was the reader app would constantly forget my place in the book. I'd come back to continue reading and it would open to page 1. Sometimes, when I went to the page view it would advance to somewhere close to where I left off, but other times that too would show page 1.

It did seem to be somewhat book related -- some books it would remember the last location 50-60% of the time, others it was close to 0%.

Couple this with the lack of any internal bookmarking (the "Bookmark" function on the main screen really should be called "Favorites" -- it just flags files, not positions in the file) made it it pretty much unusable for regular reading.

It also seemed to have trouble with some ePub books -- books I bought from StoreBundle, etc. would sometimes render strangely. Sometimes, loading the mobi version in to Calibre and doing a conversion there would help (but not always).

Since this is software, I am hoping that a future update will correct this and make it a usable e-reader. And the note taking/drawing function is still great but it now means I need to carry another device (my Kindle) so the reMarkable's usefulness has gone done a notch.

Really hope they can fix this.
TheMadBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:39 AM   #264
Dutchbook
Zealot
Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
Well I've been using an iPad for years, and I tried writing/sketching on it - and hated it. The screen surface is much too smooth, and I found the various styli I used to be very imprecise (mind you, I never tried an iPad Pro and Apple Pen).
I’ve tried the Apple Pen during the holidays, and I felt it couldn’t even compete with my RP-1. It wasn’t so much the technology itself that was disruptive, but the glass screen was just way too annoying compared to the finish of an e-ink based device. Take into account the disadvantages of LED over E-Ink and the price of an Ipad, and it showed that the Apple Pen isn’t the way forward.

If they’re smart, they’ll bring out their own device with e-ink screen, with the problems the RP-1 and ReMarkable have and all. Although i’m afraid they won’t.
Dutchbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:50 AM   #265
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
I'm astonished what remarKable people have done. I wonder, If eReaders market is already too small because people like the quick responsiveness of tablets, why shrink it more targeting only sketching abilities?
If I were to design a versatile eink device for reading, note-taking and more, my plan is as follows: Take an Android tablet and slap an eink screen on it.

Obviously, it cannot stop here and some adjustments are needed. First, animations must be off. Completely off. Second, Touch, Hold, and Drag can all be different things, but eink screen is less responsive, so this needs adjusting too, with Hold probably eliminated as far as possible.

Now, maybe there's something I am missing, but what else could be there? Android gives you tons of apps to try and some of them simply must work, even though very few appmakers are considering the quirks of eink screens. At least simple Android+eink would be a good start, no?

I find this a nobrainer and I keep wondering why nobody is doing this. Onyx Booxes appear to come closest, why no one else?

Yes, tablets came and took the market away from ereaders, but the way to get the market back is not by having quirky closed half-baked specialized software on the devices. The way to get the market back is to have the same software that the tablets use with the full and complete range of options that users have on other devices with apps they already know and appreciate.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:30 AM   #266
Philippe D.
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
Yes, tablets came and took the market away from ereaders, but the way to get the market back is not by having quirky closed half-baked specialized software on the devices. The way to get the market back is to have the same software that the tablets use with the full and complete range of options that users have on other devices with apps they already know and appreciate.
It's not completely clear which way is better, I'd say. Onyx is going one way - about what you describe - and Remarkable is going the other.

Using Android and open system lets users try any existing app, and one can hope that some developers will take the e-ink displays into account and make adaptations to their UI - with the sheer number of apps, and the competition for users, this might work. The other way is to try and offer a complete system with software that is natively adapted to the hardware, and this is what Remarkable is trying to do. If your customers really want what you think they want, this might be a valid solution: offer specialized, well-targeted software that corresponds to the identified needs and the exact hardware.

Of course, the Remarkable way requires significant investment in software development and maintenance from the company, because some things are bound to need adjustment. So far we haven't seen much in the way of support.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:01 PM   #267
rcaban
rcaban ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcaban ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcaban ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcaban ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcaban ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcaban ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcaban ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcaban ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcaban ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcaban ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcaban ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable Tablet
reMarkable still has me inspired

I previously reviewed the device in this thread I believe. After using for about 3 weeks, I still favor taking notes this new way rather than use paper. I really like this device however mixed reviews it has seen. Yes, it's a bit buggy but I am confident the reMarkable team will provide updates soon. I still worry about the future of this product, we don't know what is really going on at reMarkable and I suspect much is beyond our control. What's in our control is to stand behind these guys and gals and push them for a successful product line. Today, I am using my reMarkable mainly for note taking at meetings and it's seems pretty stable to me. And I take a LOT of notes. Lightens my load in what I take in my backpack, so much information in such a small device. Time will tell as my notes library grows, along with PDFs and EPub, if I can manage this tablet well enough to keep me organized. Hope reMarkable begins their update cycles and becomes more responsive to their customers. For now, I will continue to use the tablet.

-Raul Caban
rcaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:17 PM   #268
rcaban
rcaban ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcaban ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcaban ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcaban ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcaban ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcaban ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcaban ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcaban ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcaban ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcaban ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcaban ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable Tablet
I see this really as primarily note taking, then sketching, then PDF reading device. I have PDF's on this device and they render well. These PDFs are not huge, and reading a book on this device just makes little sense right now especially with the Kindle doing a way better job at that. My use case is simply notes (and I take a lot of them), a few PDF documents for work and that's about it. Lot of money for such a niche product but worth it (for me anyway)
rcaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:04 PM   #269
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
There seems to me to be always the issue of flaky firmware and half-baked updates with these devices, both from Onyx and from ReMarkable, to name just two.

I have an iPad - not the newest - but it still works fine as a back-lit reader.

I'm still waiting for an 'eInk-or-similar' device with a competent firmware set and with a system current to the rest of the marketplace, rather than firmware about 2 generations removed from the current version that's out there.

I guess I'll just have to wait. But you know what? so will my money.

Go to post #250 and follow the link.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-11-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:04 PM   #270
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One thing that's not properly reviewed in most cases is the firmware. How well do these devices read eBooks? That gets glanced over and it then becomes a crap shoot or a wait and hope others at MR buy first so you can ask about the device.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote