Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-18-2018, 05:20 AM   #1
kostependrhs
kostependrhs began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ereader that supports greek

Hello.
i m trying to find an ereader that can display greek language correct. I mostly use/read pdf files in greek.
I like the kobo aura 2nd edition. I just asked rakuten, and their official answer was that it does not support greek and that i cannot install greek fonts or the device will be frozen.
Do you know of a good quality reader that supports greek text out of the box? (i dont mean just a greek menu)
kostependrhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:46 AM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
If you are *only* doing pdfs then your best bet is one of the open Android-based ereaders. Then you can install Adobe reader, Repligo, or whatever PDF app you prefer.

Alternately, if you don't mind LCD screens, a small/cheap Windows 10 tablet will do tbe same and give you color.

Edit:

For that matter, Sony has two eink tablets designed expressly for PDF reading and annotation. A bit pricier than the eink Android readers but also much bigger. And with PDF, screen size matters.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/dig...ads/dpt-series

Last edited by fjtorres; 10-18-2018 at 09:51 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:54 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostependrhs View Post
i m trying to find an ereader that can display greek language correct. I mostly use/read pdf files in greek.
I like the kobo aura 2nd edition. I just asked rakuten, and their official answer was that it does not support greek and that i cannot install greek fonts or the device will be frozen.
I very much doubt that. In fact, I have a test book that includes pages in various languages. One is Greek, and to my very unpractised eye, it appears to display fine using the built-in fonts.

Adding a Greek font is very unlikely to break things. While I haven't tried Greek, I have tried Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Tamil, Russian and a few other fonts with no issues.

I couldn't remember any discussion of use of Greek on the Kobo devices, so I searched the forum. I found references to patch to add a Greek keyboard (a very strong suggestion that people are reading in Greek), and this. So at least one person has done this successfully.

If you would like, I can do some testing and take some screenshots. But, I would need a suitable font and book.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:48 AM   #4
kostependrhs
kostependrhs began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If you would like, I can do some testing and take some screenshots. But, I would need a suitable font and book.
Thank you davidfor! That would be great help for me. You can download a greek pdf copy of "a study in scarlet" from here (its the big red PDF button on the left).
How can i pm you for the fonts? (i m new here)
kostependrhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:07 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Attached are two screenshots from my Clara HD. The first shows a page with a heading and some footnotes. The second is zoomed in on that page 200%:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Greek-FullScreen.png
Views:	407
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	167015 Click image for larger version

Name:	Greek-Zoom200.png
Views:	447
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	167016

I didn't pay attention to the fact you were reading PDF. I would generally not recommend reading PDFs on any e-ink ereader. The screen size usually makes for a poor experience. As a rule, I find the display to be very good, but, the navigation if you need to zoom in on the page is terrible. Some of the ereaders will do PDF reflow, but the Kobo's do not.

To show you the ePub display, clicked the epub button on the site you linked and took the first book shown. The following is a random page from it:

Name:	Greek-ePub.png
Views:	396
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	167017

This is with the default font and without any other fiddling. The font is a little larger than I usually use, but it should show what the book looks like. And this is with the default font.

As to a font, the best way to do it is put it on the web somewhere and send me a PM with the link. If it is a freely downloadable font, the just post the link to were I can get it. Also, there aren't any options to choose a font when reading the PDF. I assume that means it is either using from inside the PDF, or only uses the system defaults.

And one last screenshot while I am at. This is the library list. It shows the titles in Greek in the list. The only thing not shown in that list is an example with series information:

Name:	Greek-Library.png
Views:	291
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	167018
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote